iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What happens if you plant trees close together?

Started by tlbean2004, February 02, 2015, 10:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlbean2004

What would happen if you planted 4 or 5 loblolly pine tree seedlings close together?

curdog

Depending on the spacing they will put their energy in height growth instead of diameter.  You will end up with tall slender trees with sparse tops. Now with that said 4 or 5 may not have that dramatic of results compared to a few acres. If the soil is fertile you would see less of an impact compared with poor soils. What kinda spacing are you talking about?

tlbean2004

curdog

what's the reason for that tight of spacing?  The pulpwood companies used to plant on a 5x5  around here just to grow volume.  The tightest I plant is on a 8x10 and now I'm leaning towards everything on at least a 100 spacing for loblolly. The shortleaf I'm planting at my house this year will be on a 14x14.
I'm not sure what you're doing for, but a 3 foot spacing is not going to produce very nice trees. I may be guessing, but if you are planting for a screen, widen it out. Loblolly self prunes easily and that tight of spacing will not fill in a good screen. Wider spacing will increase the branch diameter and fill in better. If you're not plating a screen than I'm not a good guesser. :D

tlbean2004

there is a house near me that had them planted in a row and i think it looks nice, but i dont have as much space as they do and i also want to plant other things.

LittleJohn

At my parent old house they had Norway Pine planted every 4' on once side of the house wind block and help obstruct the view of the neighbors.  That being said, they were thinned twice so now the spacing is 16' and the trees are about 50' tall

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!