iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My old wood boat

Started by Pete J, August 23, 2004, 08:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete J

I decided to sell my 41 year old boat. My first thought was to list it locally but then I decided to try ebay. It isn't going to win a beauty pagent anytime soon and I tried to describe it as such. I hope the price doesn't get too much higher unless the winner is a true old boat restorer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487470483&category=31270

I'm not looking for bids from the FF membership, I'm just sharing a piece of my "wood" history before it's gone.

Pete

Buzz-sawyer

Dont
 feel too bad it ought to be worth 1200-1500...hope you get that for it ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

CHARLIE

I think that is a most beautiful boat. I really like her lines. I'd be mighty proud to own something like that.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

I had one that looked just like that. Mine was a 1958 Cris-Craft 16 footer with a 60hp Gale outboard. I really loved that old boat, and she served me well. Wish I was in position to bid on yours.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Watch out for the scam artists trying to buy her.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

Nice looking boat. If I was in the market I'd go for it.

I just gave away my ol Chaparal 21' cuddy. Had great plans for it but to be practical I'm just not a boater. Mine was not much more than a hull that needed everything.

Good luck
WS
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

EZ

I've always like them old wooden boats, they really got style.
The lakes that we fish on has a couple of them, everytime I see them I dool all over myself. :D  But like you, the family is on their own and all I need is a aluminum boat with a 9.9 on the back of it. ;D
Ten years ago I would have bought it off of you in a heart beat.
EZ

Furby

Around here a wooden boat like that, with outboard that runs and trailer, pulls in $2500. Even if it's a fixer upper!
DanG! Wish I had some $$$!  :-/
Truth is I have 5 smaller boats at this time, and NO time to use ANY of them. Went out kayaking during one week this year, and fishing only one other time.  :'( :-/ :'(

BW_Williams

Pete, I hope she finds the right owner, she's too nice a boat to not be used.  I know it's hind sight, but Wooden Boat as a classified section if the Ebay thing don't work out.
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

raycon

Lot of stuff..

raycon

I think its close to official (received the paypal payment receipt accepted notice or whatever that confirmation was) I own a 63 Cruisers Lapstrake Skiff.
Will put it to good use on the CT river -- its a half mile to the launch from my home. Have a few other boats -- coolest being a 30' fin keeled ketch (sail boat) built in the 50's white cedar planking on white oak ribbing -- been wanting a lymans type skiff for a while now.
Anyone wanting to go fall striper fishing in the river give a shout.
Lot of stuff..

Pete J

I used to launch it in Chester. I would cruise around Essex and Hamburg cove. Never ventured out past the Saybrook light, the seas were too big each time I tried. What a small world sometimes. I can't wait to shake your hand.

Tom

Now we have something else that is going to require pictures along and along. :D

Jeff

I went and got a picture so we have one down the road...

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

BW_Williams

Contrats Ray and if'n I ever get to that side of this great country I'll take you up on striper fishin'!
Pete looks like you didn't need WoodenBoat or Ebay even!
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Pete J

Sniff, Sniff. Goodbye old boat, I'm gonna miss ya!

The Forestry Forum strikes again. I met member "Ray" when he came to pick up the boat today. What a super guy. We talked for an hour about boats, sawmilling, the lousy business and industry climate in Connecticut, etc. We found out that we even know some of the same people. The house party that I'm going to tonight is being hosted by a girl that Ray went to high school with. The world just seems to get smaller and smaller every day.

The power of this forum amazes me more and more every day. Good luck with the boat Ray, and keep us posted.

Pete

raycon

Sitting at the ktichen table Sunday morning drinking my second cup of coffee staring at the watch -- 6:45am its not to early to call Bob is it?
Phone rings wife picks it up and I hear her say  Skipper? Skipper who?  
Whos calling she asks? She laughs oh Gilligan I get it can I be Mary Ann. Big laugh my wife says in her best pirate accent ...come on over matey.

Gilligan (Bob) shows up eyes the new "woody" parked next to the old "woody" -- ready --cross your fingers "little buddy"...
We head to a rural launch hoping to find it empty so the boat can be float tested.
No luck launch is backed up with canoers and kayakers trying to beat the Sunday river rush. Decision time --wait for a weekday or launch?
Silly question --I back in and launch. Jump in. Fire the motor up and head out to the center of the Connecticut river.  Shift into nuetral  hop over the seat to the stearn to get a peak for water coming in under the flooring. Oh yeah we got water coming in. I look at Bob (Gilligan) big smile-- I love wooden boats. I ask Gilligan if he can swim he doesnt answer...

Head out down the river for the LI sound...Gilligan and I laughing big old smiles on our face. Gilligan finds the gift from Pete...A harpoon and yells Skipper whats with the harpoon!! He raises the harpoon each time we pass a sailboat motoring out to the sound....I 'll eventually tell him to stop fearing he'll hurt himself.

Thats a picture of Bob and the harpoon taken somewhere near Hamburg Cove Old Lyme,CT. We may be naming the boat harpoon. I'll post a few more pic's of the maiden voyage when I get a few minutes.

Thanks Pete,
Ray

Lot of stuff..

Weekend_Sawyer

You mean you are not going to name it the SS Minnow!!!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sprucebunny

Do those nice blue tools float??
Remember to tie a rope to the end before you go after the big one ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

raycon

Sorry about all the Gilligan stuff but we laughed pretty hard Bob's family and mine had dinner together Sunday night took a few margarita's to get him to stop with the skipper stuff.

Pete thanks for the peavey --it'll see plenty of use this fall.
Boats awesome a classic. Pete the blues were on the surface at the mouth of the river we may do some surf casting for them later in the week if you are interested -- from the boat of course.

Harpoon Chasing down friends

One of the many Sailboats Bob did his whaling act for.

Sage, my daughter and I cruising up the river.

Lot of stuff..

SwampDonkey

Looks like lotsa fun Ray, thanks for the pics. I've always been on rivers in canoes, up til 1992 or so. Used to go salmon fishing on the rivers. Here's a friend of my grandfather in his boat (at the stern) with his sport in behind. Davis is showin his buddy how to hook'm on a dry fly. No its not me, just his buddy. I have a picture lookin outta my canoe down river, all ya see is the motor. :D ;)

Dry fly fishing from a 22 foot Chestnut canoe on the Upsulquitch River in New Brunswick.

Fishing from a Miller canoe on the Upsulquitch River in New Brunswick. Oh, all ya can see is my Evenrude 7.5 HP. :)

MacDougall Pool on the Upsulquitch salmon river in New Brunswick. Believe it or not there is 16 feet of water off those ledges. Ice cold crystal clear. This was my last real fishing trip on the Upsulquitch in 1992. My ole guide became blind in 1993 and passed away in 1995 at aged 87 years. He did what he loved best all his life which was guiding hunters and fishermen in New Brunswick. He began when he was only 14 years old.

Cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Pete J

Something didn't seem right about those boat pictures. Then it hit me, "Who's that guy sitting in my seat driving my boat?" Then I woke up.

Remember the old maritime rule that says you must provide assistance to those in danger. If you leave now heading south down the CT river, across Long Island Sound and down the ICW, you can rescue Florida Deadheader from that huricane bearing down on him.

SwampDonkey

We've been getting the aftermath of some storm. No wind, but some heavy down pours at times, then some one turns the tap off for a while. :)

Hope the rest of the hurricane season is alot milder than Charley was down there.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

SInce we're bringing up hurricanes....Forgot to tell ya's. The pictures of the river I posted above reminded me of what my old guide said. He only fell out of a canoe twice in life, both times on this river. The first time was the day after hurricane Hazel  ??? back in the 50's. The second time was when he was dozin off in the canoe chair, and pole was under it, which rolled. Out over the size for a cold bath he went.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!