iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to layout this 24" Red Oak

Started by brownloggin, February 01, 2015, 06:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownloggin

i'm looking to do some timber framing (rookie).  i have this nice red oak that i'd like to use. its 24" in diameter at base and 18" about 20' up the log.  can i get two 6x8 beams out of this or do i need to take the full heart and go with one?  what should i expect out of this log.... its free of knots.  after 20' it does "Y" off, should i stay away from cutting by this?  i'm anxious to see what i can get out of it! thanks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What ever you do, Id go ahead and put sealer on the end / ends.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Lawg Dawg

I'd say go for it(2 beams)!  Life is short, and you just don't get a chance to mill logs like that everyday.  Nice and straight, clear, tight ring, etc.

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

mesquite buckeye

I'd watch out for that first slight bend to the right. I'd buck it right there and make a second log above that.
All logs have knots. It will be interesting to see what they are like when you mill it. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Evergreen Man

I'm intrested to hear what you guys have to say about this one :)
Is that off centre pith gonna give him a little trouble?
Would he want to take the beams out of the "tension wood" above the pith and over size it so he can trim the bow out later?
I have no idea what I'm talking about and probably sound like an idiot, but I'd rather sound like an idiot and learn then keep my mouth shut and remain ignorant :D
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

BCsaw

I would take a timber from the centre, heart centred, and take lumber from around it.

Oh ya...2nd what Poston said, seal the ends!
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

brownloggin

"IF" i took two beams out of it, split the heart.... how much could i expect a 20'er to move?

-what does sealing it do?

-if you look down the log at the "Y", can i cut through this to the left?  it is the main part of the tree.

beenthere

Do you care if the beams you saw out are straight? 
Would assume you do, so unless you just want to experiment with the two beams and sawing through the crotch wood (Y to the left), I'd also say stick with one beam, pith center.
Much more likely to have a good outcome. But then again, you may get lucky and fool mother nature.
;D
"sealing" is just to keep the drying end checks from running in the log ends as much.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brownloggin

sometimes i hate the truth.  but its better to be safe than sorry.. i have a lot of work in draggin this monster log out of the woods.  my duramax proved itself worthy.  i'll just have to think of some more ways to use the wood????  ;D

5quarter

Do you have to have 6x8s? If you split the pith, they will certainly bow on you. you can get 1 6x8 heart centered That will most likely be fine. but you can also get 2 FOH 4x12s  with some wood to spare, for example. Take a black sharpie and draw a 4" box around the pith. as long as you don't cut through the box, you have a decent chance to get nice, straight timbers. As a rule, I like to cut a little oversize to account for some movement, and then resaw them to final dimensions.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!