iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aspen-cut

Started by ahlkey, February 01, 2015, 06:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

Just started cutting a nice section of Yellow Aspen on the corner of the old homestead.  Will finish up later this week and for only a little over an acre total I estimate at least two truckloads of sawlogs plus a decent amount of pulpwood.  Primary sizes are in the 16-22 inch range and for Aspen to be that large with no rot it is indeed unusual.  Unfortunately, Aspen even at these sizes/grade is not a high value species which is too bad. 

tj240

nice looking logs, we get around 260 per thousand feet here
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

barbender

So, is yellow aspen the same as bigtooth aspen?
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

I think it is  and quaking referred to as golden aspen. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

that is nice looking wood  looks like you have some skids under the pile to keep it off the ground

Corley5

Nice popple  8) 8) 8) 8)  Quaking is referred to as white popple and big tooth as yellow popple around here by some  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

windy hill farm

Loggers around my area love to run that popple through the chipper.
New Holland TN-60DA, Farmi Winch 501,Rhino 9.5ft 3pt backhoe,Sthil 440,361,270, 170 and O26 and several trailers.

cutterboy

Nice looking logs. I used to think aspen were junk but I sawed some up two years ago and made some nice lumber. It dried straight (air dried) and it sold.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

HiTech

Nice looking logs. That stuff makes great molding wood. Also I have seen it chipped for what they call "Play Ground Chips'. It grows wild around here. The beaver love it. Get a creek next to a poplar or aspen stand and you have a lake before you know it. lol Also I understand model plane makers love it. The paper industry uses it also. You would think with all the uses it would be worth more. Many around here use it in their outdoor wood boilers when the temps are in the 30's or so. I have used some in my evaporator and it makes sap boil real good but it doesn't last long. lol Kind of a flashy quick fire when dried.

SwampDonkey

We used to have a veneer market for wood like that, but it wasn't big money like for maple or yellow birch. I think it was filler between the maple/birch top/bottom veneer. ;D  Also berry boxes, but no big volume there because that's a niche market.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ahlkey

Finally got it graded and 2/3 rds went for Veneer grade but the trucking is a little far away but the price still was better in the end.  Smaller stuff and lesser grades will end up as pallet stock.    It is all Bigtooth Aspen.  Will have another truck of the stuff later this month. 

clww

Pretty pile of nice logs. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!