iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

elm lumber

Started by sawyer2015, February 01, 2015, 10:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger 4400

The log that is split looks like box elder ( acer negundo) to me. Over here elm will never split that nice . The leaves are from an oak  but yours are not like ours.
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Baron

Neither are White Oak.

Baron

Magician that is how my buds sit too.

WDH

The buds in the twig pic are alternate.  Box elder is opposite branched, not alternate, so it cannot be box elder. 

MM

I see how he is sitting on his bud.  He has made a skill out of it.     
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Buffer

just to put my 2 cents in, I've had two neighbors give me the wood from downed elm trees. I was told one was an American Elm, I had to rent a splitter for it and just about blew it up. The other a Siberian Elm, it split easy with my axe.
Stihl 026, Homemade Log Arch, LSG3033H FEL, Bandsaw fabrication in progress. Now Done. Thats a First

mart

My grand dad always liked elm for horse stalls. He said it was easier on their legs than concrete. He claimed it had some natural springiness to it that helped to keep the horse's legs from laming up. Don't know if this is true or not but he was pretty adamant that his horse stalled be floored with elm.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

crowhill

Mart, my grandfather did and said the same to the point I think he believed you were doing a horse injustice if you put anything other than elm in the stall. That was up here in Vermont.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

mart

crowhill,

This was in the North Country of New York State. Very similar country to yours. Both my grandfathers used draft horses much of their lives. My paternal grandfather was adamant about the elm. I never heard my maternal grandfather say but I'm sure he would have wanted the same. He ran a road grader with his team of white Belgians and dairy farmed. They both dairy farmed all their lives and depended on their horses being sound and ready. It wasn't until the last couple of decades of their lives that they went to tractors. My mom's dad always seemed extremely saddened not to be farming with horses. He often logged with his horses, mostly firewood. He was fond of telling the story of cutting firewood logs by himself in the winter. He'd just throw the reins up over their backs and send the horses up the trail to the farm yard with some logs. Grandma would unhook the logs and turn the horses around and send them back to Grandpa. He said they would do that all day long and never wander from the trail. Try that with a log skidder.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Ron Wenrich

My dad used to tell me the same about firewood, but they used mules.  They said every so often they had to go look for the mule, as the mule decided it was break time.

Horses went out of style for many farmers after WWII.  We had an aggressive tractor salesman in the area.  There was no need to have the cash, as he would gladly allow them to use their farm for collateral.  When the farmers couldn't pay, he simply took their farm.  In later life, he said it was a business practice that he regretted.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Elm was also used here on horse stalls. A horse treads, and elm was most resistant to wear compared to using spruce or other native wood up this way. I have had elm sawed, I had  20" incher, clear all the way up the log. And it wasn't the but log, I had no way to handle a 36" hardwood. :D Just a come-along winch and pick-up bed. Twisty stuff when dried. It was open grown.

The twig symmetry and bark looks like elm, but that split way too easy for a native elm. Elm buds on the tips cant a little because they are not really a terminal bud, the tip withers away and it's actually a lateral bud. A lot of them buds in the original post are possibly flower buds, more round and plump.

They've kind of become weeds, growing in road corridors near the river valley. They get to be 8" and have seed, then the dutch elm takes them out.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

reubenT

sometimes tree names get applied a but different in different places.  But to my best knowledge red elm and slippery elm are the same tree.  The inner bark is edible and medicinal,  the tree grows to good size,  splits fairly easily.    We also have american elm.   hydraulic splitter has to work it's way all the way through.   And it's dieing.  I'm cutting dry dead ones for firewood.     I've heard it is a preferred wood for the lath under metal roofing because it hangs onto nails.    And It's also the preferred wood for wagon hubs,  because it's tough and yet not too hard,  the wood will give a bit as the hickory spokes are driven in and hold good without loosening.    (I know,  wood wheel wagon building is almost a lost art.  One of those essential skills of the past that got completely replaced by steel and rubber,  only retained by a few for pleasure use) 

sawyer2015

here is a close up and a pic of the milled lumber

mj

sawyer2015

I don't think basswood grows in east texas
mj

sawyer2015

By the way. Buds cup is empty.
mj

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Baron

It appears to be red elm or slippery elm. What is that , uhlmus rubra, or something close.

Thank You Sponsors!