iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tailing/offbearing in Florida

Started by petefrom bearswamp, February 01, 2015, 09:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Spent a delightful day with Ocklawaha Boy yesterday.
First we sawed 2 logs both which are exotics to this northern guy, one Cyprus the other Rosewood.
Made some really nice boards.
Rosewood is beautiful.
Then he took me fishing for Crappie on Lochloosa lake and we caught a few and enjoyed a nice sunset over the lake.
Ate BBQ after fishing.
Altogether a delightful day.
Another highlight of my stay in Florida so far was breakfasting with Raider Bill in Crystal River a week ago.
I brought him some good NY 5x sharp cheese.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Meeting, sawing, fishing, eating.  Were you in Forestry Forum Heaven??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ocklawahaboy

A delightful day indeed.  the help was much appreciated.  Pete forgot to mention he helped me unload my belsaw planer and helped me bring a jointer over from down the street. 
Pics or it didnt happen right?
They will follow after church.

caveman

Yesterday was a great day in Central Florida for just about anything.  Pete, how long will you be in Florida?  I hope to have the opportunity to meet as many forum members as possible.  It sounds like y'all had a good time sawing, fishing and eating yesterday.

I do have one question though.  If you spent the afternoon speck fishing (black crappie, speckled perch),

why did you eat BBQ for supper? That is my smallest Cave Girl with a few specks. I sure miss having time to go fishing but this time of the year is beyond busy.
Caveman
Caveman

petefrom bearswamp

Lynn, FF heaven you bet!
Caveman, it was pitch black when we got off of the water, no time to filet, hence the BBQ.
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

dgdrls

Stay in FLA for a few more day's Pete,  Snow moving in tonight,
predicting 6-10"

DGDrls

Chuck White

Glad you're having a good time in Florida, Pete.

It's always good to meet other Forestry Forum members too.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ocklawahaboy

Finally some pics and my side of the story for the day.

Pete had contacted me quite some time ago saying he was setting up a domicile here in FL.  I put his visit of until things settle down a little and we pegged the day at yesterday. 

It just so happened that I had my planer sitting in the truck and needed to get it out of there to go fishing.  The across the street neighbor also had offered me a good size joiner that I would need help moving. Then there is the pile of logs that needed milling.  Poor guy didn't know what he was in for. 
I started out with a cypress from my free CL batch and then switched to a rosewood from my Cape Coral trip.  After the milling, the unloading and moving came.  Then, it was off to fishing. 
They weren't biting real well but Pete got one of the biggest ones I've seen come out of that lake.

The rosewood sure is some pretty stuff.

Here' s Pete's catch

Not a bad way to end the day.

We forgot to do a pic, but the bbq joint we went to is owned by Sonny Tilman's daughter.  Those of you in the deep south know that name.  The rest should.  By the way, her bbq is better than her dad's. 

After we got back, I wasn't quite ready to let the day end so I turned on the country gold radio show and drank some of what Pete left in my cooler.

Ocklawahaboy

I should also note that since that rosewood had almost whipped my fairly fresh chain, I ordered a couple of 4 degree bands.  They cut through it like butter.  I was impressed.  I'll keep them off to the side for when I get something really hard. 

dchiapin

where you fishing Lochloosa? Was the bbq joint in Hawthorne?

4x4American

Sounds like a great day.  That rosewood sho ams purdy!

Meanwhile, back in NY, we're swimming....in snow!
Boy, back in my day..

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: dchiapin on February 02, 2015, 01:31:06 PM
where you fishing Lochloosa? Was the bbq joint in Hawthorne?
Yes and yes

StimW

How do you like the tree huggers  trying to remove Rodman Dam AGAIN?
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Kasba

Is that Brazilian or is it Mexican (Cocobolo). It looks more like Cocobolo either way what a privilege.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: StimW on February 02, 2015, 10:35:06 PM
How do you like the tree huggers  trying to remove Rodman Dam AGAIN?
Like it very much actually.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Kasba on February 02, 2015, 10:44:57 PM
Is that Brazilian or is it Mexican (Cocobolo). It looks more like Cocobolo either way what a privilege.
It was sold to me as Indian rosewood.  As you say, either way I'm glad to have it.  It was a yard tree so I'd have no idea where it immigrated from.
The closest I can come to a pic of the bark and shape of the log (I never saw the leaves) is https://ctfs.arnarb.harvard.edu/webatlas/famdescr.php?Family=Fabaceae-papilionoideae

It says it is called both rosewood and cocobolo.

ellmoe

I don't know rosewood from cocoa puffs, but I do know that there is  quite a bit of rosewood in the Tampa area, but not a lot of high quality.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Sixacresand

Good Story.  Makes me want to build a bunk house for visiting Sawmillers. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Sixacresand on February 03, 2015, 07:09:31 AM
A sawyer hostle.  I like it.

petefrom bearswamp

Just got around to looking at this thread again.
Nice pics,
Talked to Ocklwaha boy yesterday  and may go help him saw on Saturday.
Also plan to visit Elmoe soon.
Any other guys in FL fairly near if you can stand a visit PM me.
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on February 04, 2015, 06:32:44 AM
Quote from: Sixacresand on February 03, 2015, 07:09:31 AM
A sawyer hostle.  I like it.

Hostle? I think the FF members are some of the friendliest people you'll meet...

:D :D :D :D :D

FarmingSawyer

Anytime any of you southerners wanna come up and shovel snow or swat black flies and saw up some some plain normal wood for a change, my doors always open, lobstah in the kettle, and an itchy dog to share your bed and remind Ya how much you miss your wife. :D
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Sixacresand

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on February 04, 2015, 05:18:13 PM
Anytime any of you southerners wanna come up and shovel snow or swat black flies and saw up some some plain normal wood for a change, my doors always open, lobstah in the kettle, and an itchy dog to share your bed and remind Ya how much you miss your wife. :D
Tempting.  The southerners might spike the kettle with Grits.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on February 04, 2015, 05:18:13 PM
........ and an itchy dog to share your bed and remind Ya how much you miss your wife. :D

Got any itchy Goats? I may just stay.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ocklawahaboy

Pete, I just brought a trailer load of ERC home so there is plenty to saw.... not that there wasn't already. 

Thank You Sponsors!