iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack 450c 94

Started by xalexjx, February 01, 2015, 05:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xalexjx

well, bought a 450c yesterday. seemed to be a good machine needed some small work but nothing major and the price was def right. Noticed the starter was being pretty temperamental on it so wanted to source another on to bring with me when I got to pick it up (maine). Would be a long trip to get up there and not be able to get it started was wondering if all 5.9 starters from that time are the same. thanks Alex Now to go tear down a 353 and start rebuild.  8)
Logging and Processed Firewood

Firewoodjoe

Well we want some pics😃 and on the starter Ive only worked on a few. But dad had one out of a dodge and replace a 3.9L in his loader. The starter was getting week and my boss had two laying around from other old equipment. Skidder or slashers not sure and all three were diff. Now I don't know what the deal was so I cant help you a lot. But congrats on the new skidder. Tire size? Grapple?

Polish Hammer

Call your local cummins dealer with the engine serial number they will give you a number. Then cross reference it.
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

xalexjx

cb4995 is number of machine, cant get ser# on engine and machine is in maine.

jwilly3879

Movin' up?

Kyle Bollman has the same machine.

xalexjx

Polish Hammer

I have a 450 ? With the 5.9 I will look at my parts book for tj and get the engine serial number for cummins. Give me a couple hours .
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

Polish Hammer

94 to 2002 starters for the 5.9 should all be the same.

kiko

Delco 28mt.  Any parts store should be able to cross that number.

tj240

that old twig farmer is going to get lonely. good luck with the new machine.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

xalexjx

https://www.discountstarterandalternator.com/p-229-new-cummins-diesel-starter-freightliner-ford.aspx

this should be the right one correct? Figuring if gears arnt the same everything else should be exchangeable. hate to get up there with a drop deck and not be able to get it started, when i get it back ill get the orig one remaned. 

xalexjx

got it home today, when I loaded it onto the drop deck it gelled up on me, got it back to newcomb found some fuel filters I had in the shop and replaced them and couldnt get it to restart. Thinking lift pump, if there a screen or something? I put 20 gals of good cut fuel in it before i started it but i dont think it ran long enough to circulate through the engine.

eichenberg93

Around 1 month ago we had the 5.9 in our skidder gel up. before I could shut it off it died. Had to crack the injectors and pump fuel up. Once there was a nice stream of fuel squirting out the majority of injectors tightened them up and started right up. The motor was running for 45 min. before it gelled up so that helped things roll over good. Don't know if it helps but just my .02 cents.

xalexjx

got it going, change water seperator again with fresh fuel and bled injectors it fired right up.

xalexjx

going through all the fluids on it but couldnt find a mark on the transmission dip stick any ideas? Thanks also i know it takes atf but deron III ok?

so il logger

Yes according to the service manual. Should be a high and low level mark on dipstick. Check fluid with tractor at operating temp and in nuetral. If you are changing the fluid then the trans holds around 7 gallons, If you change the fluid in winch at the same time it holds 5 gallons. So 12 gallons in all. I have service and parts manuals if you have any other questions.

xalexjx

well ran it today, have most the leaks on it straitened out, it is leaking atf from the front of the transmission somewheres, If the transmission is over filled will it push it out somewheres? I added two gallons this morning and ran it for the first 2-3 hours with no leak at all then started leaking pretty good. ill throw some atf stop leak in it to get it through this winter then re-seal it in spring if need be.

so il logger

could be the seals around shift spools, but chances are its the o-rings between the trans and torque housing. That is a pain and make sure to replace the front steer pins while your in there.

xalexjx

didnt see any oil coming from shift spools, can it be done in frame or does the cab or motor have to be pulled? I'm assuming the parts are minimal, but Labor wise how long would it take? thanks for the reply

so il logger

Iv'e heard guys say it can be done in-frame. If it were me I would pull the cab and re-seal everything. But i would like to know if it is easier to do it in frame. Mine leaks a gallon or so a week so it's going to need it as well. But I know guys that are dumping 15 gallons a day too. There's also some hoses under there that you may outta check, as well as fittings. Hopefully it's simple. If it is leaking directly above the cradle/mount then my money is on the o-rings in there.

so il logger

AS far as time I'm guessing to pull cab and everything 2-3 days because there will be alot of stuff to keep track of. Colored wires out of phone cord works good for keeping track of what hose goes where. Parts to reseal it will not cost much. Sometimes a 9 dollar seal can cost 5k in labor.

Polish Hammer

there is a metal pipe in the front of the trans on that goes from the sump about 1/3rd of the way up the transmission. it is know to get hit with sticks and get damaged drop the middle pan its 4 1/2 inch bolts and it hangs on the machine have a look up and see whats leakin. there are also greasable input and output seals on the trans and diffs. some times the seals dry out try greasing them.

so il logger

Mine doesn't have a metal pipe external of the tranny. Maybe the B models did but the C doesn't. I have been all over my tranny and read service book front to back for the c model. But yes drop the pan cover and look it all over. Brake parts cleaner to spray everything off and run it a few feet and look again.

xalexjx

well, wont be running it today, thermometer said -21 and the wind is whippin, have to get the bottom cover pulled and do some more trouble shooting, what grade atf is recommended and could a bars atf stop leak be used? I hate to ruin a transmission in this thing$$$, id rather just add oil to get through the winter and fix it right in the spring.

coxy

I would not put any sealer in there I did that on a dozer and scored all the aluminum parts in the tranny cost me more to fix my screw up then seal that was leaking  if it was me I would keep putting oil in there till spring  but that's me

Thank You Sponsors!