iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pics of my Kiln in Progress

Started by Glenn1, January 31, 2015, 06:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I am finally wrapping up the final details on my Nyle L53 Kiln.  I used 2 x 6" for the wall studs over an insulated slab.  I used R19 batting between the studs.  Then added 2" of blue foam, 1" of aluminum covered foam, and finally 1/2" of CDX plywood.  The ceiling was trusses with batting, then the same two foams and the CDX Plywood.  I'll be making a rail system to guide the cart in and out of the kiln.

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Baron

Glenn1,
Why did you choose the L53 over a solar  Kiln?
Baron

Glenn1

I've got way to many trees on my property and would only get 3-4 hours of sunlight at best.  Plus, I'd like to be able to turn out kd lumber every 7-10 days (after air drying).

Glenn
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

dean herring

Hey Glenn, I like your kiln. Keep the pics coming. Did you put plywood over the blue stryofoam to  protect it from being damaged when loading.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Baron

I'm trying  to decide which way to go and I wish I  could use the L53 in addition to or attached to a solar kiln.
Yes, keep the pics coming. It's looking  fun.

Glenn1

On top of the blue 2" foam, I will put 1" of Dow Thermax which has an aluminum face.  Then 6 mil of plastic as a vapor barrier and finally 1/2" of outdoor plywood.  I am using stainless steel screws to limit any rust problems in the future and then use an aluminum roofing compound to completely cover the plywood. 

Glenn

WDH

Glenn,

Looks like that you are doing an excellent job. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Good looking build, won't be long now.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Glenn1

Thanks guys.  It is taking longer than I anticipated with some backorders slowing the process.  Also the weather has me behind schedule a bit but I hope to have it running by mid March.  I've got one door finished and the second one should be finished today.  I have 4 -12" hinges for each door and I need every inch of the hinge as these doors are heavy!

Glenn1

Here are a couple more photos of my L53. So far, there is 6 inching of batting between the studs, then 2" of Dow Insulation Board, and now 1" of Dow Thermax.  Next will be the 6 mil vapor barrier, and the 1/2" CDX.  The final treatment will be an aluminum roofing coating to handle the heat.  Also  1 1/2 doors are now finished. 

Peter Drouin

Roof coating on the inside? Wont that make a mess.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Glenn1

I've been told from very good authorities that I will need to use  aluminum mobile home roof paint to coat the plywood.  I guess  will just have to be careful. :D

Baron

I know this has got to be a dumb question but why waste the money on the plywood since your not going to touch the walls with anything. I've seen kiln with sprayed in foam and they don't cover the foam up. Seems to me that adding plywood begs moisture problems.
Baron

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I encourage you to skip the coating.  You will create an envelop effect where any water that gets into the plywood cannot get out...plastic vapor barrier on one side and the coating on the other.  Decay expected and other fungi.

You are also doing the same thing with the foil insulation...a double vapor barrier.  If using poly, then perforate the aluminum.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

dean herring

Looks real good. I'm no expert by no means but I agree with Gene 2 vapor barriers  could be a problem.I looks like you have done a good job fitting every thing and sealing the joints. I also think I would skip the roof coating. I used some once on a mobile home roof and I think it never gets hard. Kiln temps. might make it slide off the walls and roof. That  would not be be good. JMHO. Keep the pics coming. Dean  3D Lumber

WDH

The aluminum roofing paint works fine.  No issues with heat.  A little messy to put on, but dries.  The Nyle kiln plan for the L53 calls for the final coat of aluminum paint.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wills swamp

wills swamp custom sawing-2002 wood-mizer lt40/hydraulic/d33,nyle L53 kiln,case 1845sp,massey203/loader/farmi winch,john deere 450c crawler/loader,husqvana saws,logrite tools

Glenn1

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on February 07, 2015, 11:41:37 PM
I encourage you to skip the coating.  You will create an envelop effect where any water that gets into the plywood cannot get out...plastic vapor barrier on one side and the coating on the other.  Decay expected and other fungi.

You are also doing the same thing with the foil insulation...a double vapor barrier.  If using poly, then perforate the aluminum.

Since the Thermax has an aluminum backing on both sides, can I skip the vapor barrier?
Glenn

dean herring

Are we talking about aluminum paint or roof coating? There is a big difference . Imo paint could breathe better than roof coating.

WDH

Glenn,

No.  Put the vapor barrier (poly) over the foil backed insulation, then add the pressure treated plywood, then the aluminum roofing paint. 

dean herring

Just wondering if you have your kiln finished. If so send some pics.

Glenn1

I'm getting closer.  The 1/2 CDX has been installed and I need to put up 2x4 around the inside of the kiln to work with the baffles.  The doors are on but I still need to put the aluminum siding on the front of the kiln.

I have been working on a separate control booth that houses the Nyle controls.  I will be putting aluminum siding on it too to make sure that it is waterproof (using spray foam in any gaps for added security. Also, there is a waterproof foam strip that fits just inside the door on all sides  to keep it water tight.

I'll try to post pictures later this week.

Glenn

WDH

The kiln controller unit is not supposed to be exposed to freezing temps. At least that is what the manual says. 

Glenn1

WDH,  I was planning on having a light bulb on 24/7 during cold weather.  If that is not correct, what would you suggest?

WDH

Glenn,

I do the light bulb thing, too. 

Thank You Sponsors!