iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer lt15 width?

Started by sst04, January 30, 2015, 09:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sst04

Can anyone with an lt15 tell me how wide the bed is from outside to outside.

And possible take some close ups pictures of the head where band is tightened and bandwheels are adjusted.

Been thinking of putting one together, I have enough metal for everything and possibly a 22hp onan diesel, and a lathe.

I can't find the pics I'm looking for on google.

WDH

Where in GA?  You can come see mine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sst04

Milledgeville. I may do that. Sometimes I have to go through perry to work in hawkknsville.

WDH

I live between Perry and Hawkinsville.  Halfway in between. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ocklawahaboy

If you have the materials and skills you need to build a mill, why not decide the best width for you and go with that?  Any particular reason for basing it off an lt15?

thecfarm

Make it long too. I have a mill that can cut 20 foot logs. Really helps on the 16 foot ones. The longer track gets the head out of the way and when I roll a 16 foot log on,I have 4 extra feet instead of inches. It's kinda hard to move a log length wise on a mill with no hyds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BmoreReclaimed

The Lt15 bed is roughly 30inches wide.  I have 36"timbers underneath and they protrude a couple inches each way.  The width between guides is about 24" (this 24" is offset over the bunk stop, so you aren't cutting 24" square stock) and the height scale reads 27" at the highest point.   
I respect you guys building your own rigs, but I am a tinkerer at heart, also have piles of random material and was all fired up to make my own, and the math didn't add up.  After buying my mill and doing a complete alignment for the first time, I realized that this thing is adjustable in every single way.  Almost every point of connection is adjustable for squaring the head/band wheels/blades/height adjustment in relation to the bed.  This adjustability would of taken me hours and hours to get right.   All of these points are what you are going to pay close attention to.   I am a furniture maker ripping boards out of timbers, so perfection is what I'm after.

sst04

I guess the reason for basing it off an lt 15 is that I use to have one and
I really liked it. Also I the size, if I do it the same I can use wm blades or similar. It will be 20ft long and stationary.

I have been looking at all the adjustments on the head and its going to be tough.

So far here is what I have come up with.

Band wheels from surplus center. The website only list a 1 7/16 keyed version. It looks as if I could bore it out to 2" and drive bearings in it rather than use pillar bearings.  So I could use taper roller bearings in the wheels or regular roller bearings.

For band wheel shaft, I thought about either a trailer axle stub that is square, fitted into a larger piece with adjustment bolts to adjust up down side to side.

The bed will be made of 2x6, I'm not sure on rollers yet. Either v type casters or bearings. I was thinking of getting a 20 ft piece of flat maybe .5 thick and bolting or welding it to the side similar to the wm design. Although the wm has a milled piece for this.

Ill just buy the kit that has the small wheel the band blade rides on, maybe a shaft from a long cylinder for the in and out movement. Even thought about linear guides, maybe put some metal rack on it and use a small 12v motor to move it in and out.

As for a motor, if I get this diesel going, ill use it. If not, I will probably get an electric.

Thanks for all the input.
Now, if a mill pops up somewhere for a very very good deal, ill get it. Haha

WDH, if I go to hawkknsville any this week, I will stop by if you are around. Pm me a contact number if you will. Trips are usually short notice for me.

willmyers0169

im just south of Greensboro, if you need to come look at mine.
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Sixacresand

I hope you have Good luck on building your mill-or buying one.  I would like to see it when you are up and milling. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

John,

How is the Sawyer Hostel coming  ???.

Sixacresand

Quote from: WDH on February 04, 2015, 08:23:02 PM
John,

How is the Sawyer Hostel coming  ???.
If I build sawyer Hostel before I finish the front porch, the wife says I may living in it.  ;D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sst04

Need opinions on this up and down design for the head.
Picture should be attached.

2 inch square for post and 5.5inch square for head to be welded to.
The piece of 5.5 would be about 12" long with sawhead welded to it.

There would be two sets of bearings on all sides, with 1/2 inch bolts going through the bearings. I would make some eccentric inserts for adjustment of bearings and getting it level.

Is this too much? I've been looking at designs and I have really liked what I found. I want it to be completely adjustable everywhere and stiff.

[img width=650 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/e288/SSTEASLEY/Mobile%20Uploads/78C3E4B0-6D20-489F-8F70-2B8F4ED91FC0_zps0gpn98o7.jpg[/img]

Pic didn't work. Will have to figure that out.

sst04

Ok, there is a photo of a drawing in my album. Couldn't figure out how to post it here.
If anyone gets a chance, take a look at it and let me know what you think.

beenthere

You can post it here, as the hard part is done. ;)

Go to the post you want to put the pic. Click on "Modify".
Click on the blue hi-lited line below, it will take you to a new window. Click on "My Gallery" (not upload photo).

Your pics will come up, and just click on the one you want. It will enlarge.

Then scroll down that page and you will see the tab "Insert image in post".  Answer "yes" and your pic is in your edited post.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sst04

Quote from: beenthere on February 06, 2015, 07:22:45 PM
You can post it here, as the hard part is done. ;)

Go to the post you want to put the pic. Click on "Modify".
Click on the blue hi-lited line below, it will take you to a new window. Click on "My Gallery" (not upload photo).

Your pics will come up, and just click on the one you want. It will enlarge.

Then scroll down that page and you will see the tab "Insert image in post".  Answer "yes" and your pic is in your edited post.

Ha, thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!