iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stubborn u-joint.

Started by Dave Shepard, January 30, 2015, 07:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I've been trying to put a new u-joint in the pto for one of our generators. I think it's a #35. 1.25" cups and 3.21875" (3 7/32") across the cross. At first, it looked like I had a needle across the end of the cross, but I took it apart, and nothing. Tried again, and still wouldn't go together far enough to put the snap rings in. Measured, and it looks like it's about 1/32" off on the width. I tried grinding out the snap ring grooves with a Dremel tool. The grooves were rusty, but it didn't make much difference. Both the long end of the shaft and the coupler end are the same dimensions, so I don't think anything is bent. Old joint was growling, but it hadn't had a catastrophic failure. Has anybody run into this before?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Maybe one is metric and the other is not
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

The new joint definitely is the right dimensions for a #35. The shaft is from a WinPower generator from about 1973. No idea if that might be metric. I'll try to reassemble the old joint and get a measurement.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

snowstorm

yup seems like some aftermarket joints are just a little different. i have run into that on ford trucks. buy a joint from napa it may go in easy or not. buy one from ford made by spicer it not only fits better it lasts twice as long. dose it have inside locks or outside?? you could try grinding the lock ring just a little to make it thiner

pineywoods

Tthere are aftermarket U joints out there that are purposely made non-symetrical. The yoke on one side of the cross will be different width from the other side. Commonly used for situations like coupling ford rear axles to chevy drive train or vice versa..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Banjo picker

If it has inside locks, you can grind the yoke just a dab on each side and get the clearance needed to get the lock on.  I just did a u joint job on my Kubota rtv.  Kubota joints were three times the cost of a Percision 397...just took a fraction off each side of the yoke....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

coxy

Quote from: snowstorm on January 30, 2015, 08:10:01 PM
yup seems like some aftermarket joints are just a little different. i have run into that on ford trucks. buy a joint from napa it may go in easy or not. buy one from ford made by spicer it not only fits better it lasts twice as long. dose it have inside locks or outside?? you could try grinding the lock ring just a little to make it thiner
same here  on ford u joints  I grind the cap just a little to get snap ring to fit

dgdrls

http://www.fleetpride.com/find-branch#

I stopped monkeying with U-joints and simply
pull the shaft and relay what needs done,
saves time, effort and frustration.
Maybe one is close by?

good luck
Best
DGDrls

Autocar

Check the cup I had the samething turned out that one of the needle bearings fell off the side of the cup and was in the bottom.
Bill

Dave Shepard

That's what I thought happened the first time I took it apart, but after measuring everything, I now know that the old parts are not the same spec as the new joint. The new joint is a #35, and measures exactly as it should for a #35. I don't know why the old yokes are different, and I haven't found a replacement joint that meets those specs. I tried lapping the cups on my diamond plates, but it barely scratched them. :D I need to gain about .080" to get the new joint to work.

pineywoods

Sounds to me like your old joint is one of them special types intended for coupling two different size yokes together. Measure the length of the arms on the cross
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

The old yokes are the same dimension, or about .080" shy of working. I've cleaned the grooves with an abrasive wheel on a Dremel tool to make sure there is no rust in there. They simply are a different dimension than a standard #35 joint.

Holmes

Could heating up one part and freezing the other give you enough expansion and contraction to get it together?  It is going to be COLD tonight!
Think like a farmer.

Dave Shepard

I had it together once, but the snap ring on one side was severely distorted, and the joint was bound up. I'm not really looking for a way to make this one work at this point, just trying to figure out what is supposed to be in there.

Reddog

Bench grinder takes the ends right down.  ;)

Don't ask how long it lasts. Cause the one I did lasted fine till it twisted like a pretzel from being kinked  :D

Al_Smith

80 thou,it might as well be off by a mile .80 might be the thickness of one snap ring .Surface grinder to shave the snap rings maybe ???? Might work might not .

whitepine2

I hate U joints sometimes all goes good and other times,
well you know. I use caliper and check out everything this helps
to get the right parts. It's a pita but saves time in the end. 

sandhills

Quote from: whitepine2 on January 31, 2015, 10:11:56 PM
  I hate U joints sometimes all goes good and other times,
well you know. I use caliper and check out everything this helps
to get the right parts. It's a pita but saves time in the end.
Couldn't agree more, I hates u joints like magicman hates sweetgums!

Corley5

U-joints and I don't get along either  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

slider

Do like I do.It works every time.Find a sharp parts man that needs your sawing skills from time to time and he will dig through the books and find you what you need.It works for me.
al glenn

justallan1

I certainly agree on the Ford aftermarket opinions. The only thing we have in town is CARQUEST and more times than not they don't fit on certain years trucks. We now drive the extra 40 miles and go to Ford for them.
I have ground the clips a touch to get them to work. Just make sure you grind them both the same.

Ford_man

I hold the shaft in my hand and strike the yoke where it curves down to the shaft with a hammer.Hit it hard on each side it will spread just a little. Keep doing that till it fits. Do that with the spider in the yoke. It works.

Dave Shepard

If I ground the clips, there won't be enough clip. ;) Like I said, not going to try and make this joint work. If this joint fails in use, it's either going to snap the shaft on my Kubota or one of the big tractors at the farm. I know the pto's come out the back on the big tractor, but I would worry that I would have to dismantle my Kubota into 42,000 individual pieces to get the shaft out. ;) Either way, correctly fixing this shaft, finding another shaft off of something out back, going to the junkyard and getting a shaft off of something down there (which may have actually lived out back until it was hauled away  :D ) or buying a complete new shaft, is going to be far cheaper than fixing a tractor in the middle of a severe storm/power outage.

Reddog

Well were is the fun in that  ;D

whitepine2

Thank You Sponsors!