iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Processor saw motor

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, January 30, 2015, 11:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

Hey guys - I'm still working on my home made processor build I started here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80438.0.html

I have a Jonsered 525 that was junked. I pulled everything from it: piston, handles, etc. I plan on coupling a hydraulic motor to the recoil side of the shaft to power the saw. The sprocket has been swapped out to a .375 pitch and I plan to run a 24" bar on it. This will allow me to use the same chains I use on my 372 XP.

Can someone suggest a motor for me to use?

whitepine2

When I built mine I used a Danfoss model M077YC. I got this from
TST Equipment Nashua,NH 603-889-6125 these guys know
what's what and can help you out if they are still in operation.
It was in 02 when I got mine so it's been a wile. The only thing these motors only turn one way or you need a kit to reverse ask
me how I know. If you need specs PM or E-Mail and I can give you what I got,hope this helps.

snowstorm

3/8" chain is not big enought to run on a hydraulic saw motor. 404 .063 or better still 404 .080. a 404 chain for a 25" bar is about $23. look up chain shot and you will agree

DeerMeadowFarm

PM sent whitepine2; thanks for the help!

Snowstorm- I searched "chain shot" on this site and the only thing to come up was your post in this thread. I googled it and got:
In artillery, a chain-shot is an obsolete type of naval ammunition formed of two sub-calibre balls, or half-balls, chained together. Bar shot is similar, but joined by a solid bar.

Can you point me to a thread or definition of what you are refering to? Thanks!

Rich

snowstorm

you need to look some where else. when the chain breaks a small piece can go flying. i have read where it has enought force that it went through 3/4" thick lexan windsheild  and into the guy running the machine. 1/2" lexan is called bullet proof. this is why i say use 404 .080 it was built to do the job. even 404 can break its much stronger than 3/8

snowstorm

go to oregon harvester app guide that will explain it. also google chain shot in ctl havester. the first one tells of the operator being killed from chain shot

North River Energy

Some links to chain-shot in this thread: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,76297.msg1159104.html#msg1159104

Also second Whitepine2's suggestion to put in a call to TST.  They've been very helpful on my projects.

DeerMeadowFarm

Thanks for the links and search terminology for info on chain shot; it makes sense now.

So, a couple of questions: You said that .375 isn't big enough to run on a hydrualic saw motor. It's obviously used on some good sized saws so is it the torque that a hydraulic motor has that causes the issue/chance of breakage?

Based on the article that the google search you suggested lead me to, plus the link within this site, it seems like you are near impossible to be able to guard for such an occurance...?

My processor is not going to be built with large production in mind. I am basically taking the ideas from this video and making it a little easier to use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YDOM6Bu1hc

Maybe I don't need a real powerful hydrualic motor if used in a similar fashion?

Firewoodjoe

I had a Dyna firewood processor new. It had a .404 63 gauge chain and never once had a issue. The reason I recomend it is becasue it wears like iron. And really aren't much more then small chain.

Lazy logger

If your not to worried about production maybe just mounting a running saw on a pivot would do the job. You could have it throttle up we it moves down to make a cut.  ???
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

barbender

The saw motor on  CTL processor bar saws spins the chain WAY faster than a gas chainsaw, with way more power to boot.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!