iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

metal detector?

Started by rooster 58, January 30, 2015, 07:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

I need advice on a good metal detector.  2 beautiful logs came into my yard this week.  A red and a white oak. I bucked them into four 9 footers. The problem is that all 4 logs have metal. These 4 logs total close to 1300 feet international.  I want to pay a fair price but need to deduct for blades. And I need a good metal detector.  Does anyone know what I should purchase to help find metal? The other day one log cost me 2 blades. No sign of metal ::)

downsouth

I think the "log wizard" is a good one. I'm going to buy one when the one I have goes out. I think they are $100-$150.
  I use a small handheld one like they use at the airport,I forget the name. It works o.k. I don't think it picks up anything very deep in the log.

terrifictimbersllc

I have the log wizard too , use it on the mill all the time, can tell if the next 1 or 2 inch cut is likely to be clean or not. Also good to see if one has dug out all the metal in a particular area.   And for finding metal stuff you drop when fixing the mill. 

I also use a Rens 4000 not as much as the log wizard.  This detector is great for checking logs but can pick up stuff in the ground too.  Top and sides of a big log as you roll it toward the mill.  Or a tree trunk standing.  I don't acquire logs very often so I don't find myself always taking the Rens along.  Customer pays for hitting metal and it isn't always profitable to scan before milling, unless it is surface metal or a low value log one saws anyway.   But for acquiring logs it would pay for itself in no time.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

logboy

If you want to scan more than 2" deep, especially in log form, a log wizard wont cut it. I have an older Fisher, I think model F70 or something. It scans 4-7" deep depending on the species, which is handy since I'm usually cutting 3" slabs. If youre sawing 1" boards in oak then just creep up on the stain, which gives plenty of warning of iron. I cant do that when cutting 3" at  time.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

FarmingSawyer

Time after time it proves itself..... a fresh, sharp band. No other metal detector like it. You already own some....and it's more accurate than anything else. Always works, where others fail.......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

rooster 58

Yup. 2 bands hit metal today. 5 this week :snowball:

Peter Drouin

I have a Garrett 250 works good goes 16"+
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

hunz

+1 on the garret 250, I think a few guys on the forum have them. A couple of portable jobs ago, I was able to determine nail depth with the pinpoint mode, using good sense about how strong the black color was in the oak logs. With those 2 things alone, we were able to cut some beautiful wide quartersawn oak, with minimal waste, that kept the metal inclusions away from my blade and in the cull pieces. That customer was happy with his yield without having to pay for multiple nail touched blades.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Magicman

I really like the Nail Finder but I also have a Garrett 250.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

I, too, have a Garrett 250. When I was shopping for it the distributor asked how much I was prepared to spend. I told him the ability to detect nails in a log was more important than price. He said, "Is that all you're looking for? Iron nails?" I told him it was and he told me what I needed was a relatively inexpensive metal detector without all the fancy features. The expensive ones are intended to pick out everything else besides iron.

He recommended the 250 because it can give you an indication of how deep the nail is -- up to about 8".
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

kensfarm

Online I see them for $212..  sears shows close to $300. 

Swatson

Wont take long to recoup that cost....now if they had a rock detector........
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Cedarman

Quote from: Swatson on February 01, 2015, 09:58:40 AM
They sure do have a rock detector.  It is about 1 1/4" wide, about .043" thick, circular,  has sharp teeth that go right through a rock when it finds it.  Shows you that it found the rock by changing from very sharp teeth to nice shiny round tipped ones and leaves marks on the wood showing you exactly where the rock is or was.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Swatson on February 01, 2015, 09:58:40 AM

You're just not letting your logs freeze and get coated in ice..... The ice helps magnify the rocks so you can see them, just as the blade melts it enough to show sparks.... ::)
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Magicman

Kellyco put many extras into a kit that came with my Garrett 250.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!