iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Cookies

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 30, 2015, 07:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Last Year I cut a couple of cookies off of a maple stump for a buddy of mine who, like me is an aspiring wood worker.
Much to my surprise, he gave one back finished.

This maple has some interesting inclusions. The dark streaks are solid, not soft like a bug hole. Any Idea what they are?

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Andy White

Jon,
Other than strikingly beautiful, I have no idea. How do you keep them from cracking???    ??? ??? Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

Ambrosia beetles.  The stain is a fungus that the beetle brings in.  Fungus feeds on sugars in wood.  Baby beetles feed on fungus.  The beetles are essentially farming the fungus. 

Nice pic there, Bud. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Andy, He told me he soaked it in cutting board oil. It is about 1 1/2 inches thick and only about a year old so it may still crack.

Thanks Danny, This picture was from the Tail of the Dragon a few years back.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DeerMeadowFarm

I thought this thread was in reference to something to make out of maple syrup that would be yummy for eating....  :(

Thank You Sponsors!