iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check out how this guy uses his woodmizer.

Started by Joe Hillmann, January 29, 2015, 10:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

Check out how this guy uses his woodmizer.  It is a fairly long video, 15 minutes, and it doesn't make sense until the last minute or so but he makes some very interesting cuts with the sawmill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3utt2Y5aH0

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 29, 2015, 10:22:20 PM
The link is missing

Oops,  I mean, what are you talking about? It's right there. ;D

mikeb1079

cool stuff.  i like the bench design for sure, but that dude needs to wear a respirator! 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

oakiemac

That was wild. I couldn't figure out what he was making until almost the end.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Tree Dan

The guy who did that video did a great job.
Alot of work, but sure looks great...thanks for the video
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

GAmillworker

Thank the Lord for second chances

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

fishpharmer

Thanks, neat stuff!  Poston, I think your gonna have to have more than one $300 dollar bill :).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

Real nice, bet it wasn't his first one!

As mikeb1079 said, that dude needs to wear a respirator!

More shop ventilation.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Foxtrapper

A lot of nice homemade jigs an such.  Just goes to show what you can do with a lot of time and patience... :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

JohnM

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on January 29, 2015, 10:19:54 PM
Check out how this guy uses his woodmizer.  It is a fairly long video, 15 minutes...
And I was glued (Titebond ;D) my seat for all 15, that was really cool.  Really well done vid, thanks for posting.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

pineywoods

Very impressive. I learned a few tricks. It must be the hat. Jake wears a hat like that and he does impressive things with big chunks of wood. Yeah, gotta be the hat. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

No link here, but it sounds like the guy who builds a bench on an LT15.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DeerMeadowFarm

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 30, 2015, 10:50:08 AM
No link here, but it sounds like the guy who builds a bench on an LT15.

Yes it is a guy who builds a one piece steam bent bench and one of his tools is a LT15.  If you search for "Jarvi bench youtube" it should pop up.

woodworker9

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

bozzaa69

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well let me be the old goat here....Good video and I'm glad I saw it.....but to build that bench would drive me BATS!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 30, 2015, 03:41:09 PM
Well let me be the old goat here....Good video and I'm glad I saw it.....but to build that bench would drive me BATS!  :D

Seeing how it is done I think it would be pretty easy to replicate it.  Freshly sawn  red oak is extremely willing to bend when you have the right grain and steam.  In my opinion where this guy is above the rest is he had the foresight to figure out how to do it in the first place.  As they say "it's easy, once someone shows you how"

killerman

I'll bet he had a month in making all the jigs. Nicely done video. I'm thinking it might be a little harder on a hydraulic mill, at least for me. He seemed to work the manual forward and reverse in a pretty exact manner in a few scenes.
TK 1400 and a Mahindra 5530

FarmingSawyer

One impressive set of skills. Shows how a bandsaw mill can be a versatile tool in beyond milling logs. But I really wonder why he didn't just edge the board on the mill-- a lot faster and less dangerous than working that big piece on the jointer....
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

kelLOGg

To build a table out of one piece of wood is incredible workmanship and technique. I have passed this on to several craftspeople.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: WDH on January 30, 2015, 08:30:24 PM
It is actually white oak  :).

I know but I have no experience with bending white oak.  I have bent a lot of red oak though.

WDH

Joe,

I had a guy ask me today how red oak would steam bend.  I had no idea as I have never done that.  Thanks for the insight. 

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: WDH on January 30, 2015, 09:09:43 PM
Joe,

I had a guy ask me today how red oak would steam bend.  I had no idea as I have never done that.  Thanks for the insight.

If it is a  freshly cut board from a log (within several hours of being cut) and it has nice straight grain if you have a piece of leather or metal strapping to back it up you can wrap a 1"x1" in a spiral around around a pop can. 

Thank You Sponsors!