iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another QS oak question

Started by JMoore, January 29, 2015, 08:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoore

I have not QS an oak log yet but will soon. I read on a post the other day that there are certain things to look for in the end grain to determine whether its worth QSing or flat sawing. I figure I have a mill and I pretty much only want to build my furniture with quarter or rift from here on out. I just love the way it looks. Thank you for any insight!

scsmith42

From a stability standpoint (as well as wood movement), any QS lumber will be more stable than FS.  It will all have vertical grain as well if you take the time to center the pith in your logs in both directions.

From a ray fleck standpoint, you want to study the ends of the logs to see how the medullary rays are running, and orientate the faces of the quarters to be as close to parallel to the rays as possible.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

What he said.

After studying the rays for a while you will notice some oaks have nice fat juicy rays while others are skinny things. The fat ones make for the best figure.  Some species of oak seem to have those nice rays more than other species.

Also look at the rays from each end of the log as that will also add to your education.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

4x4American

subscribed.

You coulda asked this in the fancy sawing thread!  Keep all the fancy stuff in one place!
Boy, back in my day..

5quarter

Ditto and ditto. Also, make sure the rays run fairly straight from the outside to the center. if they sweep to the center in a curve, expect the best figured boards to be spotty at best.
Another funny thing about QS oak; with each pass of the planer, you change the figure. sometimes you will look at the end grain of a board where the rings are exactly 90° to the surface yet the ray fleck is hardly there. a couple passes through the planer and as you cut into the next ray, the whole board comes alive.  8) 8)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

JMoore

Thanks to all that's what I was looking for. 4X4 I didn't want to highjack someone's thread.

terrifictimbersllc

Can also cut parallel to the tiny cracks that are everywhere, these are sometimes easier to see than the growth rings. Romanian barrel maker taught me that.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scsmith42

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 30, 2015, 06:59:10 AM
Can also cut parallel to the tiny cracks that are everywhere, these are sometimes easier to see than the growth rings. Romanian barrel maker taught me that.

The "tiny cracks" typically are the medullary rays.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: scsmith42 on January 30, 2015, 08:34:40 AM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 30, 2015, 06:59:10 AM

The "tiny cracks" typically are the medullary rays.
Hey, no wonder it works!   Thanks!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brad_S.

In my world, any oak over 20" on the small end gets QS regardless if what the rays look like.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!