iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Offbears

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 29, 2015, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

For 4 years, I've sawed by myself. Just me and my backhoe....bless her heart.
I had a Police Officer come buy some Cedar from me about 3 weeks ago. He truly has the love for wood and has a nice work shop at home.
He now offbears  for me on his days off. He is 50, very smart, has common sense, and is hungry to learn. He ask lots of questions and is a CLEAN freak. During waiting times when I'm actually sawing, he keeps the sawdust pile in order, makes sure stickers are ready, and carries the slabs out and stacks them in a neat pile. He blows off customers trailers, makes sure their lumber is stack according to size. I'm going nuts!  :D :D :D

Now....I've become set in my ways working alone.....if I wanted to stop and go get a Sun-Drop at the store.....I'd go. Sometimes I wouldn't go to the mill until 10am and sometimes I would quit at 2 pm and do something else.

Well since Kirk came aboard.....my off bearer is working the daylights out of me!
He shows up early with Sun-drops and bottled water, likes to take 30 minutes for lunch and wants to work 'til dark.....and his favorite saying is ..."1 more log".  :o

So far I have paid him in lumber and he is overwhelmed! Thats what he wanted.  I did pay him cash for todays work and he earned every penny of it. I'm actually getting out more than twice the lumber than when I was by myself.
He talked me into listing my lumber on Facebook.....Katie bar the door. ( old saying ).....the orders have been coming in from the Horse farmers and most of them are bringing their logs.

My question is......what do you guys pay your off bears?
Thank goodness he helps me on his days off......don't think I could keep up with Kirk everyday!  :D
But don't try to steal him!  ;D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Pay? Experience, a sense of accomplishment, a little adventure, and whatever else I can buffalo them into believing. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Lewisman

If they truly work like your guy, 10 bucks per hour cash.  If they can't see what needs to be done and ultimately aggravate me and slow me down i pay them 7 bucks an hour once then don't offer them any more work.

sealark37

Pay him in lumber.  He is just a few years (maybe less!) from retirement.  Offer to sell him the mill, and offer to help him in your spare time.  You aren't really successful in a business until you sell it for a nice profit.  Regards, Clark

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good point Clark.  :D

4x4American

When I offbeared for a sawyer, he started me at $10/hr.  He would have me running with that mobile dimension mill.  I never sat idle.  I'd be stickering/stacking as fast as I could.  I was also the guy bringing the logs to the mill, dogging them to the deck, cleaning them with a wire brush, undogging what's left, replacing the teeth, dealing with the slab pile, etc.  I always try to see ahead.  After the first year he gave me a raise to $11/hr.  Then $11.50, then I quit after the third year for a job that paid $20/hr  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

hackberry jake

If I were you... I would pay him with a one way plane ticket to Northwest Arkansas. Me and Larry could use him!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 29, 2015, 08:58:52 PM
If I were you... I would pay him with a one way plane ticket to Northwest Arkansas. Me and Larry could use him!

No can do.....he's to valueble and has become a good friend. :)

tmarch

Pay him in lumber or cash, no problem for either of you and no benefits (deductions) for either of you.  That or a barter system if he has something you want.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tmarch on January 29, 2015, 09:15:59 PM
That or a barter system if he has something you want.

Yes....his energy!  :D

Holmes

Would you pay $100 a day cash for his help for 8 hours or $50 for 4 hours?  Think of a number you both will be comfortable with.  It must make you feel good to have that type of new friend and help around.  Don't let him get WIND of your Goat alias. :o :D
Think like a farmer.

Sixacresand

My last offbearer was a customer who brought a trailer load of log he wanted milled.   We started earlier than I normally would, did not take a nap after lunch, and worked almost to dark.  I feel your pain, Poston 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 29, 2015, 09:42:28 PM
My last offbearer was a customer who brought a trailer load of log he wanted milled.   We started earlier than I normally would, did not take a nap after lunch, and worked almost to dark.  I feel your pain, Poston

Then you know what I'm talking about.  :D :D :D

WDH

David,

Don't let him know about your goat fixation.  It might scare him off.  Stay in the closet.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 29, 2015, 10:24:57 PM
David,

Don't let him know about your goat fixation.  It might scare him off.  Stay in the closet.

You're a baaaaaad man......but gots a neat farm.  :D

YellowHammer

I don't pay by the hour, I pay by production rate, at $100 per MBF, lunch and all the water they can drink. Since a good helper can easily double production, if he is making money, then I'm making more  ;D.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WmFritz

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 29, 2015, 11:42:03 PM
I don't pay by the hour, I pay by production rate, at $100 per MBF, lunch and all the water they can drink. Since a good helper can easily double production, if he is making money, then I'm making more  ;D.
YH

I'm gonna bet 'lunch ' doesn't include tin cans.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WDH

Not when I was there.  It was steak  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Sounds like a good deal.  And he can provide security and be your DOT compliance officer too!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

roger 4400

Police officers are always ( I mean often)  good people.....How I know, been one for over 30 years and did WORST' I MARRIED one  , my wife was an officer also ( retired now ) and worst than that we were partners on the same police car for 12 1/2 years....and we like wood and sawmills.  :D Have a nice day, watch those goats
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Bill Gaiche

3 days = $300.00. bg

mesquite buckeye

Just remember that bears and goats don't mix. ;D Goats end up as lunch. :snowball: musteat_1

Just kidding. I'm sure he is a nice guy. Personally, I like the company and the help as long as I can still make money. ;D :o 8) 8) 8) :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Buck

Whew!  I came through Rock Hill a few days ago.  I thought about looking you up.  That could have turned out bad if it would have been the wrong day. You'd have tried to get that kind of work out of me.  ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Buck on January 30, 2015, 04:14:16 PM
Whew!  I came through Rock Hill a few days ago.  I thought about looking you up.  That could have turned out bad if it would have been the wrong day. You'd have tried to get that kind of work out of me.  ;)

Snicker, snicker.... :D :D :D :D :D You should have came by Buck.

Thank You Sponsors!