iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My log loader

Started by Darrel, January 28, 2015, 08:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

When one finds himself unexpectedly retired, he makes do with what he has on hand to keep himself busy.  I threw this together with stuff I had in the back yard and it will have to do until I can afford something better.  The logs I have to load are western juniper and aren't too big or heavy so I will find out in the morning if it works.

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

shortlogger

When I was a kid I had a boom made out of scrap drill stem with a boat winch and two pullys mounted in the front corner of a trailer where it would rotate  to load eastern red cedar that was too big to lift by hand .
Make due with what Ya got !
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Darrel

I will post pics tomorrow of how well it works or doesn't.   8). It it doesn't work it will be  :P
1992 LT40HD

lopet

Sweet.   I am a strong believer in using what you have available. :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mad murdock

Looks good from here!! If it doesn't work, it should've ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Darrel

So I drove up the road a mile past my house on US Forest Service land and tried out my log loader.  It worked, but I also worked pretty hard.  I got a permit and pay 25 cents each for those posts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32fpUk-sJro

Hey if somebody could tell me how to make the video appear here instead of just the link, I'd be greatful.
1992 LT40HD

North River Energy

Click 'share' on the youtube control panel.
Copy the highlighted text.
click 'insert hyperlink' button on the post control panel.
Paste text.
http://youtu.be/32fpUk-sJro

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

FarmingSawyer

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

John Mc

You might try a search on the DanG Deadheader Log Lifter (or maybe it was log loader?). The basic equipment involved is similar to what you have already, it's just used a little differently.

An electric winch would greatly reduce the "armstrong" power required for your operation.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Darrel

Yes, there are a whole lot of things I would have done differently if I had the things I needed. I was in California at our property there and the only tool I had other than my chain saw was my wife's hammer, so I nailed the silly thing together with 16 d box nails. When I go back, count on it, I'll have a few more tools and hopefully some help too.
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!