iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 026 - changing from .325 to .375 bar question

Started by redsix, January 28, 2015, 07:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsix

My current bar is a .325, if I change out both the sprocket to a .375 and bar to a .375 will everything will work fine?

Cut4fun

pine

My 026 has had a 3/8 on it for the last 20 years and runs fantastic.  Not like my 460 but can't complain.  The local Stihl dealer told me they would not put a .325 on it when I got it 20 years ago as I would not like it.

To each his/her own.

HolmenTree

Welcome to the forum Redsix.
I would suggest that you switch it over to a 3/8" for you 026 to cut faster and smoother then the .325 it's already equipped with .
I'm talking about the Stihl 63PS 3/8"chisel Picco b/c setup. Part #1121 007 1004 for the drum/rim sprocket kit.
Or if you already have a rim sprocket setup..... part# 0000 642 1240 for the 7T 3/8" Picco rim sprocket.
You'll have to go to your dealer to order the Picco 3/8 sprocket nose guide bar and a couple of loops of 63PS saw chain.
The new MS241CM comes with the 3/8 Picco chisel b/c setup as an option. MS261 owners are also enjoying the benefits of the setup too. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DonT

I tried that switch awhile ago with an pld 026, I was not happy with it and switched back to the smaller .325. but to each there own.  DonT

ladylake

It will work but cut slower in anything but small limbs.  A 3/8 picco  with a 6 tooth would work good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Spike60

I go against the grain here with this issue. Lots of guys think it's some kind of test of manhood for a 50cc saw to run 3/8 chain. I concede the points that some guys buy chain reels and spin their own loops, only want one size file, and that some are more comfortable sharpening 3/8 than .325, but without getting into the physics involved.....

IMO the best way to juice up some of the better 50cc saws like the 026, 346 etc is to simply switch to an 8 pin .325 rim. And obviously cheaper as well since you only have to change the rim and don't need to buy a different bar and chain. You will want to run the better .325 chains like 21LP or whatever the Stihl equivalent is for the best results.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

sawguy21

I sold a couple of MS260's with 33RSC chain, customers were adamant the saw would handle it. Both came back for .325, the saws bogged down too easily. 3/8 Picco would work fine.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Thanks sawguy21.
Like Spike 60 said try a larger 8 pin .325 rim sprocket [BTW the part Stihl part# is 0000 642 1234] . A taller gearing over the 7 pin making a little more cutting speed, but I honestly think it would be too much for a factory stock 026 in bigger wood.

Alot of members here don't know about the cutting speed of Stihl 3/8" Picco CHISEL chain, too bad Oregon hasn't developed it for Husqvarna etc.  I love it on my small saws under 50cc.

Here it is compared next to my half filed back .325 N.K. [narrow kerf] chain. This Stihl 63PS Picco 3/8" chisel cuts  quicker then the .325 NK and even the .325 LP chisel.
If you want more chain speed with it try the 8 pin Picco rim sprocket for the 026 #0000 642 1241

redsix

It just seemed like the .375 16 inch bars were more common and I thought it might be the current standard.  I will try to find a .325 replacement bar like the one I have.  Thanks everyone for the advice.

Al_Smith

First of all I have no idea how a person would get an 026 changed over to run 3/8" Pico or low profile .

50 cc and under saws unless they have been tweeked do a lot better on the chain they were designed for.325. They are not oak slayers but darn handy saws intended for general lighter duty work and I for one enjoy them .

Think about now .This size saw is a handy limber plus a good firewood type saw .They can cut 30" plus stuff but then that takes longer .It's little and light .I mean a person unless they are showing off does not cut fire wood with a Husqvarna 3120 or a Stihl 084 .If they did they would one tuckered out puppy the end of the day .

HolmenTree

Al, the MS241/261 has the 3/8" Picco 63PS chisel b/c setup as a order option......direct bolt on to the 026 with the part#'s I already quoted. ::)

Ed

I'll change my Husky 254xp from .325 to .38 pitch depending on what I'm cutting.

It's definitely faster with the .325 pitch chain under normal cutting conditions.

I wouldn't consider changing my 026 over to .38 from .325, the power just isn't there.

I've no experience with the 3/8 Picco chain Willard has mentioned on my 026 or 254xp.

Ed

HolmenTree

The low profile 3/8 Picco chisel chain has only been on the market for about 2 years so alot of people don't know about it. The semi chisel Picco has been around since 1979, but this new chisel Picco has just recently been introduced.
Keep in mind there is 2 styles available, the green code extra safety link model the 63PS3. And the yellow code without the extra safety link model the 63PS.

http://youtu.be/zXscYA8tu48   

SawTroll

Quote from: Spike60 on January 29, 2015, 07:06:35 AM
I go against the grain here with this issue. Lots of guys think it's some kind of test of manhood for a 50cc saw to run 3/8 chain. I concede the points that some guys buy chain reels and spin their own loops, only want one size file, and that some are more comfortable sharpening 3/8 than .325, but without getting into the physics involved.....

IMO the best way to juice up some of the better 50cc saws like the 026, 346 etc is to simply switch to an 8 pin .325 rim. And obviously cheaper as well since you only have to change the rim and don't need to buy a different bar and chain. You will want to run the better .325 chains like 21LP or whatever the Stihl equivalent is for the best results.

I totally agree - and the Stihl equivalent is 25RS. I prefer the LP/LPX though.  :)

In .063 it will be 22LPX and 26RS.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 29, 2015, 01:54:34 PM
Thanks sawguy21.
Like Spike 60 said try a larger 8 pin .325 rim sprocket [BTW the part Stihl part# is 0000 642 1234] . A taller gearing over the 7 pin making a little more cutting speed, but I honestly think it would be too much for a factory stock 026 in bigger wood. .......

I'm sure you are right about that - and if so you aren't much better off with 3/8"x7... ;)

3/8" Picco is a totally different story though!
Information collector.

stihltoomany

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 29, 2015, 10:01:27 PM
Al, the MS241/261 has the 3/8" Picco 63PS chisel b/c setup as a order option......direct bolt on to the 026 with the part#'s I already quoted. ::)
In process of setting up one of my 026's this way. Hope to be quite impressed. Thanks for the idea. Love the pico super on other smaller saw. smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

HolmenTree

Your welcome s.t.m.
I heard the setup works great from some professional east coast pulp cutters have said working 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week with it.

Cut like butter on my 372XP :D

JW IN VA

HolmenTree

Yes Cut4fun Kevin made a good point there "I wouldn't go FULL SIZED 3/8 on 026; saws" ;)

brettl

I pmd you HolmenTreeafter reading another thread but I see my answers now in this one. Will this 63PS handle a 440/441s power? I have several Duromatic bars and for the firewood cutter such as myself, they seem to be a real asset when wanting to try a different pitch. Are there cutting situations to avoid with a hardnose bar?

joe_indi

Willard, I have never seen or used the 63PS chain. But a couple of years ago I got a loop of 63PS3 (Same chisel with bumper link). I did a comparison of the older semi-chisel 63PM and the new chisel 63PS3 and  posted a video on Youtube. I think I posted the link here too.http://youtu.be/IGopVRElc0o

beenthere

Puzzling to me that the cut made by either chain was not very smooth. Deep notches as if the chain was going off line, and noticeable where the saw was rocked back and forth.

Wondering what is causing that misalignment and not cutting straight.  Maybe the wood too?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HolmenTree

Quote from: brettl on February 09, 2015, 12:24:24 PM
I pmd you HolmenTreeafter reading another thread but I see my answers now in this one. Will this 63PS handle a 440/441s power? I have several Duromatic bars and for the firewood cutter such as myself, they seem to be a real asset when wanting to try a different pitch. Are there cutting situations to avoid with a hardnose bar?
I see no use with the Picco on the 440 for general cutting, just use a standard 3/8 chisel, you have the power in that saw and longer bar lengths to handle a full size chain.
50cc and under saws can benefit from the Picco 63PS chisel, but a NK .325 is a good choice too.

Al_Smith

FWIW Stihl pico super(chisel )is like lightning on small saws .I mean they will really cut .

I've never seen it used on 50 cc saws which is not saying they too wouldn't do good.As far as standard 3/8" pitch ,on modified saws it does good but then again it takes a little more moxie to run it than the original .325.Keeping in mind all the time ,nothing you can do to an 026 to make it cut faster than an 066 unless it's on a 4"limb. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!