iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a good used sawmill to buy my dad

Started by miraclebow777, August 22, 2004, 09:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miraclebow777

I am looking for a good used sawmill to possibly buy for my dad. I dont  have lots of money to spend. Dad is 70 and has wanted a sawmill for years. He has lumber on his land and always has to pay to have some cut. I am a woman and I know very little about this. Only what I have found on the internet. I know that I would like about the next step up from completely manual because He is just not as strong as he use to be and I think that would be too difficult for him with some of the physical problems he has. We live in Tennesse, Near the Bristol Speedway Nascar track. Could any of you experts get me started with my search.. We could drive to get something that could be pulled or possible hauled in a pickup.. We are actually planning a trip to Nebraska sometime in the near future to get some stuff left behind in storage from when I moved back home to Tennessee.
I would so appreciate some help. I would like to spend no more than 4,000 to 5,000 dollars.
I hope someone can help me know how to start.
I found this site while searching. and it looked quite promising.
Victoria

Hammy

Hi miraclebow777,

Sounds like a great gift idea!!

A good place to start could be the sawmill exchange web site, they have a whole range of second mills listed. Another option would be if you knew what type of mill you were after to contact the dealer & see if they have anything available. I know we do that for our mill owners, provide a second listing on our web page & pass their details on to interested buyers to help them sell their mills.

We will be in Fairview, TN for a demo day on Saturday 16th October if you wanted to drop by & see what a Peterson swing blade mill can do. If you would like more info let me know.

All the best with your quest!
C. Hammond
Petersons

ronwood

miraclebow777,

Welcome to the forum. I second Hammond's comments about looking on Sawmill Exchange. Website url  is http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/. Brian who runs the site is helpful.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

DanG

MB777, welcome to the Forum! :)  Sawmill Exchange is indeed the place to look for good deals on used mills. I got my Mobile Dimension mill through them for just $9000.

You need to keep in mind that sawmilling is extremely hard work. Operating the mill is probably the easiest part of the whole deal.  Handling and re-handling logs and lumber, and dealing with the waste products will take the majority of his time, and all of them are hard, physical labor.  I don't want to discourage you from helping Pop realize a dream, but, at the same time you need to realize all of the aspects of it.  He will need support equipment, such as a tractor with a loader, or a forklift, and probably some youthful help in order to really get any production from a sawmill. That being said, if he will get enjoyment from being able to mill the occasional log and get a bit of lumber for his efforts, I'd say go for it. Look for a used, manual bandmill from someone who is  moving up to a larger unit.

Hammond, a hearty welcome to you, too!  Good to see another Peterson guy on board. I look forward to seeing your stuff in action at Moultrie in Oct. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

Welcome 777,

Don't overlook the Commerece section of the forestry forum.  I didn't see anything in the range you're looking for but maybe???

You can get to the commerce page on the home page or this link.

Commerce
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Hammy

Thanks for the welcome DanG,

Yes we will be at Moultire GA & look forward to catching up with you. This is the last show of our month long US tour so you won't mind if Chris & I let you run the mill for a while . . .

See you there!
C. Hammond
Petersons

Thank You Sponsors!