iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I built a bay window, booth, and table yesterday.

Started by Just Me, January 28, 2015, 09:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

I was going up against a company that is good with computer design for a small job and decided that I could not compete on their terms so I did a game changer.

I emailed these two pictures out and got an email back that the job was mine. Two hours in the shop got me $5K worth of work. I think I may use this tack more often.

Larry

fishpharmer

Clever idea and impressive work.  Glad to hear you won the job for your efforts. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DeerMeadowFarm

Now that's using your noggin'! Congrats on landing the job!

sandhills

That's really neat, you have a great idea there.  My wife can't even begin to read blueprints or floor plans, they just don't register to her, she can't picture what it would look like in her head, show her something like that and it makes sense.  Things like that might help you with a lot of business.

mesquite buckeye

It is amazing how few people can "get" the finished product from a drawing. I think you are on to something here. :)

I think the real trick will be to get your model to expand to full size. Maybe by adjusting the font size. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Farmerjw

Years back we would have called that a "salesman's sample".  Still useful today.  How much design/detail difference between this and the real one?
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Just Me

Everything is pretty much the same except for the lower base on the table. It will be less intrusive legs but was too hard/timeconsuming to do on a 1"=1' scale. The rest is an exact scale model.

I have three daughters so it was just like twenty years ago when I was building them doll houses.  :D

WmFritz

I was admiring your work for a minute before I noticed the pencil and realized it was a model. Clever idea.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

I do hope we get to see the full size one.   :(   The small size looks mighty nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

That is one way to eliminate the competition.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 28, 2015, 11:01:39 AM
It is amazing how few people can "get" the finished product from a drawing. I think you are on to something here. :)

I'm a draftsman by trade, and engineer by night school, and a manager because I've been here so long! Back in the day, when I made drawings on the board, we had a lot of "engineers" right out of school that couldn't read a blueprint. 3D CAD helps some, but creates other problems. Now we get engineers right out of school that still can't read blueprints but think they are designers because they can make models with the 3D CAD that is not always possible to machine!

My wife has problems with blueprints and maps as well. It was a struggle when she "helped" me design our house. She had good ideas but it wasn't always easy to get it drawn in a way that she understood it.

Magicman

Of course what @Just Me really did was build a very large pencil that he is showing off.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on February 05, 2015, 02:00:57 PM
Of course what @Just Me really did was build a very large pencil that he is showing off.   ;D

I'd like to see the sharpener he used to sharpen that pencil!
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

5quarter

Honestly, for a minute or two, I thought the giant pencil was some sort of prop. ::)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Thank You Sponsors!