iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

going to meet Roy Underhill

Started by yukon cornelius, January 28, 2015, 12:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

We just signed my son up for the springpole lathe class in July at the Woodwright school. My son is paying for the trip himself by selling his newly acquired skill of wood spoon carving and bird houses. He has excelled with his spoons and sent one to Roy. Roy sent him back a picture of himself holding the spoon. We are really looking forward to the trip and would like to make a few stops along the way to meet a few members. This is going to be a great trip and a huge life experience for my son. 8)

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

SwampDonkey

I get a kick out of Roy. He sometimes does more performing than wood working and draws lots of blood with some of his acting methods. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Andy White

yc,
That will be a trip to remember for sure. I watch Roy every episode. He is nutty, but has the knowledge of the old ones. Enjoy the trip and let your son learn from one of the masters.    8) 8) ;D :P      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Glenn1

Hello Yukon,

I live only 1 hour from his school and have taken courses three times there.  Roy is a great instructor who is patient and gives positive motivation (plus he's funny).  You will have a wonderful time with him.  Enjoy!!!

Glenn
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Just Me

The way you support your son is very impressive. My hat off to you sir!

Larry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MattJ

That's awesome how he is paying his way.  Speaks a lot of his character and the brightness of his future!  I too have taken classes there and you are in for a treat.  I was there on Saturday for my birthday in his tool store, my sister bought me a few carving tools to try out.  The level of fun there is really great and it is so stress free!

Clark

Congratulations to your son and color me green with envy!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Farmerjw

Well, what do his spoons cost?  I might be in the market for a couple as that is a project I want to tackle someday, but for now would be interested in helping a young person finance their education.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

yukon cornelius

Mattj he is carving wooden spoons, spatulas and such also making birdhouses and sellng them.  Moderators, is it ok to say how much he is selling them for?? I don't want to go against any rules.

beenthere

yukon
They can PM you, and you them.  Sure wouldn't violate any rules that way. It is a good tool for personal exchange. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

Beenthere, that's a good idea! thanks!
Just me, I want to support him in these kinds of adventures so the government doesn't have to support him in the future. What he is learning can carry him for the rest of his life.

scsmith42

Roy puts on a great class for sure. 

My farm and milling operation is only about 20 minutes from his school, so let's be sure to get together when you're in town.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LaneC

That is so awesome. Congratulations and great news to hear.
Man makes plans and God smiles

yukon cornelius

Quote from: LaneC on January 28, 2015, 10:33:45 PM
That is so awesome. Congratulations and great news to hear.

Lane, you helped make it happen! He uses that gouge along with some tools he received from gunhandle on here. He has made several since yours and gunhandles spoons. He is really getting good!

I don't mean to be bragging too much but he has really got this down. we are both pretty excited to go meet roy.

scsmith42 I would love to come by. The class is scheduled for July 1-5. I will be in touch.
We would like to catch up to a lot of you guys time allowing.

LaneC

That is so good to hear. A lot of good feelings on this end. I know he will do well, and it is good to know he has a caring Father. ;)
Man makes plans and God smiles

jamesamd

With His interest and Your backing, success is in His future. ;)
Congrats Daddy ;D

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

yukon cornelius

Its official! Our son has made the money for the trip. he has paid for his class, he made reservations paid for a campsite for the week, and we are about to go get a camper for the trip. we obtained an about 10 year old very large overhead camper that is going to need a lot of repair. it had a leak when parked and now is in rough shape structurally. we will peel it open and make the repairs and will be ready to go. This is pretty exciting. we hope to make a few stops on the way to see some of you guys.

Bruno of NH

That's super he made the money on his own  8) 8)
It will be a great time  :) :) :)
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scsmith42

My brother Jeff (RockingJL) and I had a great visit with Larry (Yukon Cornelius) and his son last week.  Jeff was visiting from Phoenix and Larry and his son were attending class at Roy Underhill's The Woodwright's School in Pittsboro.

After a great supper at our local Mexican food restaraunt, we all drove out to the farm for the nickle tour.

Larry, thanks much for stopping by!  I really enjoyed meeting you and your son and thanks again for the carved spoon!

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is a good pic. Yukon was suppose to come by here but the state line was locked.  :D

Glad Y'all had fun!

*****Scott....get a tan on them legs boy.*****  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

What a great time! Scott, it was great to meet you guys! You have a fantastic setup there. My son and I had such a great time. I cannot get over the hospitality we were shown by everyone we met. Anyone who is considering the "Woodwright School" should definitely go. I will try to get some pics on here after the jetlag wears off. Poston, we wish we could have made it through there. Next time for sure!

Magicman

Congrats on the successful trip and meeting FF members is icing on the cake.  Looking at Scott's legs, I would say vanilla icing.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nmericle53

What wonderful memories. You and your wife are raising your kids the way we were raised. Ashton is very respectful and a joy to be around. We are  proud of him for paying his own way and getting into this class. Jealous, yes, every woodworker would love to meet Roy. Glad ya'll had a good time. Pictures please.
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

Thank You Sponsors!