iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boot conditioner

Started by kyrowcutter, January 27, 2015, 09:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyrowcutter

What do u guys treat your boots with to keep them in good shape and help keep your feet dry. It gets hot and very humid here in the summer so I can't hardly wear a boot with gore tex, it burns me up. Thanks.

curdog

Bees oil or bees wax. Nicks boots makes some and I use it on my boots.  It will allow the leather to breath and still repel water.

Reddog

Pecard Leather Dressing or Snow seal.

landscraper

Montana Pitchblend.  I clean and saddle soap first, then the Pitchblend and set the boots on a boot dryer overnite.  I've used snoseal, nikwax, kiwi, mink oil, fiebings, obenaufs, red wing oil, and many others and I think the Pitchblend lasts and repels water the longest, and seems to actually condition/preserve the leather.  I don't own or work for them or make a dime from saying that, I've just had really good luck with it.  I stumbled across the stuff a few years back and haven't switched since.  I liked the old sno-seal in the clear jars for pure waterproofing but i always felt like it was more of a coating on the boot and that abrasion from brush and dirt would rub it off.  Cleaning the leather before treating them is a big part of it too, gets all the dirt and grime out of the pores of the leather so the treatment can penetrate fully.  As far as I can tell, saddle soap is the scientific name of elbow grease.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

dgdrls

Wesco Bee oil for my dress packers.

DGDrls

JohnW

Waterproof boots for me.  I also use foot powder, like Gold Bond.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sandhills

thecfarm

kyrowcutter,I wear 2 pairs of stockings to keep my feet dry from sweat. Can be 90° and if I am wearing boots,I have 2 pairs of stocking. The outer pair is on the thick,heavy side.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JB Griffin

Hyd. oil, motor oil, axle grease, diesel fuel, gas, cow manure, mud, Is pretty much the norm. :D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

kyrowcutter

Well guys I know my buts will come in contact with all this stuff that's why I want to treat them so a 350 dollar pair of boots last more than one year. Hydrolic oil, mud, motor oil, cow poop is not a leather treatment. Lol

sandhills

You might be surprised  ;)  ;D

scsmith42

One thing that I found is that when I started using a boot dryer every night and alternating my boots, my longevity increased around 50%.

I use the Peet dryer.  Simple and effective.

Re a conditioner, I like Fiebings Mink Oil Paste.  It protects, preserves and replenishes all in one product.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

Quote from: thecfarm on January 28, 2015, 05:50:38 PM
kyrowcutter,I wear 2 pairs of stockings to keep my feet dry from sweat. Can be 90° and if I am wearing boots,I have 2 pairs of stocking. The outer pair is on the thick,heavy side.

Are these panty hose stockings with the seam line up the back? :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

terrifictimbersllc

Suggest look and follow your boot mfgrs  recommendation.

Wesco says....

Bee oil followed by Bee Seal Plus for oil tanned leather boots
Mink oil when putting them in storage

Silicone sealant for siliconed leathers

http://www.wescoboots.com/wesco/info.asp
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

I guess socks would of sounded better,eh??  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Klicker

2006 LT 40 HD

pabst79

I find Mink oil works the best with Sno seal a close 2nd, however the last couple pair of wolverine and danner's that I had, the stitching rotted or wore out? I've heard that the cheap materials can't take the oil treatment? I guess getting 2 seasons out of a pair of boots just isn't going to happen anymore. :'(
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Corley5

I've got a pair of 1,200 gram insulated Gore Tex lined Rocky steel toe boots that I only wear in the winter.  They're too warm otherwise.  I've never treated them with anything other than what I've spilled/splashed/dripped/poured/stepped in etc.  They are just starting to not be waterproof and the soles are cracked and coming loose.  The leather is in fine shape except for a cut on one toe that happened when they were almost new.  There's no cracking or dry rot.  This is the sixth winter they've been in service.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chuck White

In this area, most use "Snow Seal".
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WH_Conley

Bill

barbender

I like "Nor-V-Gen" boot oil.
Too many irons in the fire

JB Griffin

Quote from: kyrowcutter on January 28, 2015, 09:49:14 PM
Well guys I know my buts will come in contact with all this stuff that's why I want to treat them so a 350 dollar pair of boots last more than one year. Hydrolic oil, mud, motor oil, cow poop is not a leather treatment. Lol
Quote from: sandhills on January 28, 2015, 10:14:26 PM
You might be surprised  ;)  ;D

You would be surprised, My Chinese made Irish Setters have been through hel and back for going on 5 years, All of the above and more (fire, ash, etc). Even had um recapped 1½-2 year ago. ;D I'll never buy anything else but these.

Oh and I wear them 7 days a week 12+ hours a day. Been oiled (intentionally) once or twice in there life and still going strong.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Thank You Sponsors!