iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

I've got an "Italian" customer who has been after me to send bundled wood down to the island, has to be perfect, at the end of the day your not making much. A guy about 1hr of me does alot of bundled wood, you can sell alot of wood cheap when your labor force doesn't have a green card. I'm 230-240 a cord local right now, @ 150 a cord there's nothing left, doesn't cover the fuel to deliver it.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: OH logger on November 07, 2017, 08:47:22 PM
barge do you process outside now? I assume so since  the bells has a cab  ;D

The heat actually works pretty good, I'm 6'1" and about 220 and the cab is kind of tight for me, your not getting a 400lb guy in there. She will be getting 4-6 LED lights ASAP, load the trucks ahead for the next morning, all my neighbors say that slasher saw has quite the echo.
We went with this used one because to fit it inside I've got to basically cut 1/4 of the machine off. Cut the hitch and move 1 leg and shorten the livedeck length wise, I want to get the room and livedeck pad poured 100% in concrete so it's going to be a summer project.

mike_belben

Whats the retail price on bundles up there?   I just started experimenting with them here yesterday.  5 gallon bucket worth.
Praise The Lord

brianJ

Im getting 180 to 200 a cord depending on how far delivery is.    @Barge I graduated SUNY Cobleskill and now live a bit west of you.   Got some family in that area.   

Anyhow for me I am trying to get customers that will take green wood the season before rightout of the field.   Saves me stockpiling then handling another time.   I will stay small enough firewood is fun for me and just a side revenue stream.   

mike_belben

Im fairly stunned by it, but people in middle tn will buy completely green firewood to burn that winter.  Many prefer it, seriously.  Im out of seasoned and selling wood right off the splitter, first thing i say when they call.    Up north id be getting sued.

Just started mixing in bone dry hickory slab chunk from a mill to help my conscience.  Atleast that was they have something to light easy and help dry the other pieces.

Praise The Lord

TKehl

LOL I hear that to.  I know several people that prefer green wood, "Cause it burns longer."

Nevermind that you have to burn more of it to get the same heat and clean the chimney more often...  ::)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mike_belben

Well, i will admit there are cases where a little wet aint so bad.  A lot of folks live in singlewides and uninsulated shacks.  And we dont really have a "winter" by northern standards.  Last year the ground was only frozen 4" deep for maybe a week.  Itll be cold at night and sometimes almost hot in the daylight if its sunny.  So the need for max BTU is rare, but its a pain to either start several fires a day.. Or have to keep feeding in tiny amounts of wood to not cook yourself out.   But with no insulation, 80* will turn into 50* real quick so you still want the stove on a bit.

The people that like wet wood are the ones that want to pack the stove and just let it simmer.  I know a guy with a dry pile and a wet one to control what temp he wants.  I mean sitting in the rain wet.  Chimney is just a scrap of rusty tin pipe out the wall. 

The simple life.
Praise The Lord

coxy

we never burnt season/dry wood ever when I was growing up   and never had issues with chimney plugging up or getting enough heat 

TKehl

Quote from: mike_belben on November 08, 2017, 03:03:03 PM
I know a guy with a dry pile and a wet one to control what temp he wants.  I mean sitting in the rain wet.

Sounds like it the stove could use a new door seal...   :)

Green wood on a windy day plugs up my raincap.   >:(  Hedge is fine anytime, but Elm has to be well dried and kept dry.  Even standing dead oak, we try to let it dry a week or two.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mike_belben

Door gasket?  Its made from a water heater. :D
Praise The Lord

ehp

here in my area you would be hard pressed to get $150 a cord, 2 hours east its $350 a cord . up north its $250 to $300 a cord .

ehp

Barge its a good machine and will do you well , sure does not look like its got many hours on it

BargeMonkey

Quote from: brianJ on November 08, 2017, 07:51:59 AM
Im getting 180 to 200 a cord depending on how far delivery is.    @Barge I graduated SUNY Cobleskill and now live a bit west of you.   Got some family in that area.   

Anyhow for me I am trying to get customers that will take green wood the season before rightout of the field.   Saves me stockpiling then handling another time.   I will stay small enough firewood is fun for me and just a side revenue stream.
Somewhere I've seen a meme about the "Colby college starter set" which had an ag sweatshirt, a can of Copenhagen, boots and a truck. 😂 I'm in the southern end of the county in Gilboa.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ehp on November 10, 2017, 08:55:20 PM
Barge its a good machine and will do you well , sure does not look like its got many hours on it
307.6 on the dial as of tonight. It's one thing to watch one at the show, yeah ok yeah yeah, sit in the cab and slam 8-12cord thru it, that thing doesn't care. Never seen a splitter with so much force. That splitter chamber is solid and the main bar behind is solid but I can see down the road something is going to fatigue.

ehp

Barge, their pretty good, have not heard much trouble on welds breaking , thought it looked nice and pretty  ;D, so now what are you going to do with all this money your making ?  new 635 TC ?  you cannot take it with you so you might as well spend it LOL

teakwood

Barge has some ex wives! :D so no lack of spending sources!!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

Did the first commercial teak thinning on my friends 3 acre plantation. They are 9 years old. 215 trees harvested. 6-10" diam. Could just haul 8 logs per hitch, was to steep for more weight.

6 o'clock morning sun

i put a protection on a standing corner tree where i had to turn with the skidder

coxy

teakwood that is some nice processer wood wouldn't take long to make 16in wood out of them  ;D

nativewolf

that would be some of the worlds most expensive firewood!  Sell it in NYC or Beijing as a luxury item, burning golden fuel.
Liking Walnut

teakwood

i sold those 210 logs for 2300$ on the landing, around 22-25m3 (no idea of cords), not bad for such small wood. goes straight into a container and directly to india

lopet

100 bucks per m3 isn't that bad, but 10 bucks per stick isn't that much either.
So is the bark coming off from skidding  or does it just look that way ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

teakwood

Quote from: lopet on November 14, 2017, 07:41:48 PM

i think 100$ is pretty good for such young wood, of course you have to have much quantity of trees to get the volume. But the thinning is absolutely necessary so the standing trees get fatter.
the bark is like that in teak, we have to be careful to not peel the tree to much or the diam falls and less diam is less money ;D

On my thinning that i start in december (second commercial thinning, 13 years old) i have logs up to 0.25 m3, and they are bigger diam so the price is 160$/m3, so a good tree will give me 40$. and i have to cut 2300 trees! will update with pics

BargeMonkey

Quote from: teakwood on November 14, 2017, 07:58:16 PM
Quote from: lopet on November 14, 2017, 07:41:48 PM

i think 100$ is pretty good for such young wood, of course you have to have much quantity of trees to get the volume. But the thinning is absolutely necessary so the standing trees get fatter.
the bark is like that in teak, we have to be careful to not peel the tree to much or the diam falls and less diam is less money ;D

On my thinning that i start in december (second commercial thinning, 13 years old) i have logs up to 0.25 m3, and they are bigger diam so the price is 160$/m3, so a good tree will give me 40$. and i have to cut 2300 trees! will update with pics
About 6 months before I left the office sent down Teak binocular holders, 150 bucks each for a tiny box, I figured someone was getting rich 😂 I want to stop down to see the rainforest, it looks like beautiful country. How bad do you guys deal with the snakes and bugs ? Any progress on the mine ?

BargeMonkey

Trying to get any major maintenance done now before it gets too cold, im about out of luck without my loader so the axle swap is being done now.

mike_belben

Half that pile would be topsoil by the time i got to the other end of it. Good lord.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!