iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

I'd second that about weights on a 1 ton pickup.  Friends have 2 blown ford f250 with that crappy ford 6.0l diesel.  What a POS that engine is.  Anyhow, one died because he was towing 10k pounds from Ohio to Va, that long 6% grade in MD just killed him. 

Liking Walnut

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

nativewolf

10k pounds was enough of a load that it killed that lousy ford 6.0l diesel.  All the local ford dealers in the Shenandoah valley/north VA are just full, full of FX50s with that engine all blown to crap, bad injectors or whatever.  Not meaning to hijack thread but just saying I'd agree with Paul that it makes sense for safety and wear and tear to not overload your truck/trailer combo.
Liking Walnut

chevytaHOE5674

New head gaskets, head studs, and some emissions removal and the 6.0 is a good motor.

Grizzly

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on October 04, 2017, 01:29:41 PM
New head gaskets, head studs, and some emissions removal and the 6.0 is a good motor.

Yep. And can handle 20-30k if handled right.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

nativewolf

ahh well they are blown now, emissions removal... that is an issue.  the Hino is solid and does not blink, both guys moved on to cummins.  After seeing the ford dealers repair bays... swore me off of ford trucks. 
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Old trucks from now on for me.  Last load was 1300bf.  23,500 of timber, 42,200 total.   With 13speed and exhaust brake i can almost entirely avoid the service brakes.  Big hills, panic stops and final stopping at the light are all i need it for.  My dodge dually wouldnt even have slowed that load, nor been able to steer. 

I could really go for a tandem cabover with 2 full screws and a good bunk trailer.

Cuttin firewood and my scalp today.  Bobcat bit me

Praise The Lord

rjwoelk

Just wondering what your dot regs are regarding log bunks. Here in canada we need them when hauling over 4 logs.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

mike_belben

I dunno, they probably are.  Theres really no law enforcement where im at if you stay off the interstate.  And here logging is farming = just get it done.  Tractors and combines have the right of way.

I do need to build a set for one of my tandem trailers.. Just to make loading faster.
Praise The Lord

mills

Disheartening to say the least. Had to remove about 2', but it still made a 12' stave at 30" on the small end.

nativewolf

Ochh.  Nice log though.  30" at the small end?  What was the second log?  Who the heck puts metal in a 4" tree?  Bullet? 
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

I know the feeling.  Biggest tallest straightest stave on the whole site.  Lost a few hundred $ on this one.

Praise The Lord

mills

Ochh.  Nice log though.  30" at the small end?  What was the second log?  Who the heck puts metal in a 4" tree?  Bullet?
Second log was 8' with with the fork starting to show. The 2' lost at the butt would have made the second cut a stave.  :( I'm thinking with the blue near the center the steel was introduced when it was young. Didn't think about bullet. Full metal jacket?

I know the feeling.  Biggest tallest straightest stave on the whole site.  Lost a few hundred $ on this one.
I've had a few on this job. Mainly along one hill side. Looks like a perfect tree and then you feel the saw jump. >:(

Plankton

Been cutting largish hemlock (18-24) on super steep and short ground for the northeast. Got some pictures last week when I had a friend of mine come up and chop with me. Hard to tell how steep it is in photos. Lay's don't look pretty but there is very limited skidder access on this ground and tons of rocks/bedrock and dips and mounds in the ground. Plus a lot of large oak tops we didn't want to smash so it was quite a puzzle in this section getting everything down where it could be dragged out without blowing trees up and breaking tops.

Some stumps were above shoulder on back cut and flush to the ground on the face lots of flying trees when they layed out over such crazy terrain. Next week I'll be cutting a few loads off of a solid rock cliff at least 70 degrees only way for those to go is staight down to the flat where I punched in a skid road. That will be an adventure probably alot of breakage. Super nice oak coming off of this small sale after the hemlock though 3 to 4' on the stump straight and clear. Enough rambling here's a couple photos..

Flat spot top of the hill

Buddy getting ready to send one up the hill

Some trees...

Also embarrassing photo to post but this is when i know its time to go home hahaha thought it was kind of funny layed out perfect after it fell.
4 o'clock or so on a sat....

lopet

In my old days I was working on steep terrain and we were cutting beech for railway ties. Bucked them at the spot and sent them down hill, was fun but dangerous.
What's the story on the last picture ? You had some time to kill or what ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

nativewolf

Quote from: mills on October 10, 2017, 07:37:28 PM
Second log was 8' with with the fork starting to show. The 2' lost at the butt would have made the second cut a stave.  :( I'm thinking with the blue near the center the steel was introduced when it was young. Didn't think about bullet. Full metal jacket?

I've had a few on this job. Mainly along one hill side. Looks like a perfect tree and then you feel the saw jump. >:(

Man I feel for you.  I was worried that my entire cut bad because every log looked like it had iron and mineral stain.  Well, turns out I did not know what Rainbow Poplar was.  Apparently not a grade defect but I've never seen anything like it. Need to get some pictures in my gallery. 

Anyhow, sorry about losing a nice stave log. 
Liking Walnut

allaboutsawdust

It's been pretty hectic this fall trying to keep equipment up and running and finishing this job before any chance of snow.  We look to be done in a couple weeks so if all goes well we should be in good shape.

Friday afternoon we sent out our last load of the week, a load of hardwood pallet bound for canada. Unfortunately trying to climb the hill out of the job he broke his universal right in the middle of the access road. Fortunately we were able to find the universal Saturday and get him on his way back to montreal.

A nice view cut we did on this job. Can't beat a view like this on a crisp fall morning.

This job has had some really nice pine which we have been sending to Hancock in bethel maine. Nice pine on an even nicer truck. Hard to believe it's a 17 year old truck.
Ed K after catching up reading your post I am glad to see things ended up ok with your tractor, too bad people have to pull stunts like that.
A father son cut to length team with a '00 rottne smv harvester,  and a 2010 rottne smv forwarder, '74 664 clark ranger skidder.

BargeMonkey

It's good to see everyone cutting wood and staying busy. 

Getting this job finished last Sunday. 

Took a job I shouldn't have, started it on a Friday and it was one little thing after another. 😂 

Figure you guys can laugh at it. Didn't even poke a hole in it, carried it about 300yds and set it down. 

I don't have the help and I'm done trying to find help, do what i can by myself with better iron. Broke down and bought a Bells 6000, should have done it sooner, loading myself I did a cord and back in the truck in 18mins. 😂

thecfarm

That's one way to get it up in the air.
That bell looks good.  8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

a few things are clear from everyone's input:
pulp is dying
less people better equipment is the way to go

Liking Walnut

Brad_bb

I'm usually a sawyer, not a logger.  20 walnuts were pushed down with a dozer by a farmer.  I came in and bought them and had to buck de-stump and limb them.  Nice trees.  Sat for 4 months so I don't think the butt logs were any good for a veneer buyer which is good for me.  I'm milling beams for my dream home!  It's enough to keep me buys all winter long.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

North River Energy

"Welcome back, Cutter" :D
--
->I don't have the help and I'm done trying to find help, do what i can by myself with better iron. Broke down and bought a Bells 6000, should have done it sooner<-

How did you arrive at that machine over the other options?

GRANITEstateMP

Took a job I shouldn't have, started it on a Friday and it was one little thing after another. 😂 

Figure you guys can laugh at it. Didn't even poke a hole in it, carried it about 300yds and set it down.

Is that some kind of new hunting technique that hasn't caught on here in NH yet?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!