iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

ive seen many but havent had to use one yet.   

PA, VA and TN have a boatload of big long hills but the conditions are much better than 84 in NY.  They dont have 4ft deep potholes and a bunch of NYC traffic merging in on you.  Theres almost always a truck lane and a breakdown lane and none of it is all saddled out.  And they dont charge you $12 to run it!
Praise The Lord

gaproperty

Big tree small contractor.  I do my logging with a tractor, logging winch and trailer.  I am on steep winding slopes which is sometimes scared.  The Big Yellow birch I am cutting is hard to split.  https://youtu.be/XfMJSRFt40I
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

barbender

We've been clear cutting aspen this last week, and it's been pretty hectic because the mill wanted all the wood cut and delivered by Friday afternoon (they didn't want any aspen 2 weeks ago, but then recieved a large paper contract so things changed)😊  We had a slew of trucks yesterday, at one point I had a truck on either side of me loading out if my bunks, this was a first😂 I'm getting the controls on the new machine adjusted and dialed in, and the Buffaloking is becoming quite fond of me, I think😊 I got 160 cords on the landing yesterday, that's one of the biggest days I've ever had.

Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

barbender

Gary_C

That's amazing you can get that volume picked up and especially with that peckerwood aspen. I could only dream of half that much.

How many cords per load? What type of joysticks?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

It's not big wood, but it's really thick, Gary. That was 20 loads at 8 cords per load. The BuffaloKing is 6 cords level with the top if the stakes, I mound ger up with at least 3 more buckets on each bunk. Also, very little sorting and fairly short skids, 95% aspen woodsrun. Our machines all have the mini joysticks. And, happy birthday, Gary!

Gary_C

Thanks!

Do you load back bunk first so you can see or are you high enough to have a good visibility over the front bunk?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

I load back first, or at least keep the back higher so I can see it. I don't mean to suggest this is normal production, this was an exceptional day. In fact, I think this is the first time I've ever got 20 in a day. I'll often get 18 or 19 loads if we're pushing hard, but it seems that something always conspires to cheat me out of load #20- so today I decided I wasn't leaving until I got it😊  On the flip side, we were on a hardwood thin this winter with long skids and challenging terrain, there were days where I was in the seat 12 hours and only had 6 loads out for the day.
Typically though, in the summer if we're not pushing, 10 loads a day is plenty to keep up with the processor.

Peter Drouin

Ten loads a day is a big pile of wood and a lot of work,

Good job, 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

coxy

got to love loading those slippery slime things  they look like our soft maple and ash one touch and the bark is gone  few years ago a new truck driver was loading ash on a small hill I told him turn around or your going to have a mess but what do I know a full bunk of them fell off the back I would have left him there but my truck was in front of his 

Ken

Quote from: barbender on July 01, 2017, 10:43:29 AM
I'm getting the controls on the new machine adjusted and dialed in, and the Buffaloking is becoming quite fond of me, I think😊 I got 160 cords on the landing yesterday, that's one of the biggest days I've ever had.
Even though you have a new machine to work with being able to put 160 cords on the landing is a very productive day.  Very few operators would be capable of that.  That does look like awfully good yarding though.  Hats off to the harvester operator as well.   smiley_clapping
Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

Thanks Ken! The thing is, we have another forwarder operator that I struggle to keep up with! His piles are messy for sure, but the fact remains he is just a very smooth and efficient operator. He puts out 100 cords a day and yawns😊 But back to reality for me, we moved into a hardwood block, long skids and 6 loads a day is doing good. It's all in the wood.

trailtrimmer

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My father in laws Mule is getting one last workout with me by its side.  Just picking up maple tops to make heat after this family lot was cut for grade this winter.

It's an honor to have his friend and world class saw builder at the controls before it gets trailered off to it's new home. 

Had lots of good days and hard days on small jobs with him, he and the mule will both be missed.

mike_belben

Man id love an old forwarder.

Chubby red oak

And a nice white oak that i had my hopes up for #1 stave.  (Cutting high above fence wire.) Oh, hey the saps up!

Hello ringshake.  :/

Praise The Lord

coxy

could that be caused by a fire  I know some spot around here where a fire went through they look just like that   my dad would say about the year the fire went through and I would count the grow rings back and he would only be a year or two off   if I'm bidding on logs in some places I will stop in the local coffee shop and ask some of the old timers if a fire ever went through the area before I bid 

mike_belben

I dont know, if it was its fairly recent.. In the time this fellow has owned it.  Ill ask but no one has ever mentioned a fire.  Hes just a few doors down from my house and ive not seen this in any others.

It was a pig pen about that time frame.  Maybe related.  Isnt shake from bacteria?
Praise The Lord

OntarioAl

Wind damage to wood weakened by a bacterial infection
Al Raman

coxy

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

BargeMonkey

Trying to get hay cut but good luck. 😂  got another 38 in tonight, knock more down for the weekend.

Cutting the oak around the landowners cabin before i moved, had to get behind the one, cut the front and push for all i had as i cut, hung over the cabin, i sized it up 3 ways and it came down to brute force. 🤘

Picture of my timbco on my lowboy, explains why i asked the lowboy questions a while ago. Im permitted heavy enough for it, just doesnt fit. Im on a new job, actually 3 lots in a row, doing the middle one which is a heavy cut right now, landowner took a couple pics last night, been cutting till dark every night when i get done with dirtwork. 

I dont know how many of you like doing concrete work in the heat, miserable. My project from today. 🤘

Long story short i quit the boats last friday, 15yrs and i said enough, cutting wood and dirtwork fulltime. I dont know if its my area, maybe its because of where i live ??? Some of these guys think there is like a "wood mafia" or act like they are untouchable ??? I had 2-3 other loggers try and put a friend of mine out of business last yr, the gloves have come off and im starting to choke the daylights out of these guys, you would be amazed how 1000 cord of dry wood ahead advertised for less than green wood will change attitudes 😂

Stoneyacrefarm

Good luck  Barge,
Here's where the fun begins.  8) 8) 8)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on July 20, 2017, 11:06:20 PM
Good luck  Barge,
15-16hrs a day, 8 days a week. 🤘

Peter Drouin

At 33 you can do that, When you get to 62, It will be 10 to 12 hours 7 days a week. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Stoneyacrefarm

Quote from: BargeMonkey on July 21, 2017, 12:00:09 AM
Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on July 20, 2017, 11:06:20 PM
Good luck  Barge,
15-16hrs a day, 8 days a week. 🤘

It's still worth it.
Sure beats working for someone else.
I have a 2 year escape plan to go full time on the farm.
It's hard to do these days but with hard work it's doable.
You might not make as much money but it is ten times more rewarding.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Thank You Sponsors!