iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

and that sledge hammer in the first pic is the right tool for busting a track?! :D :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Ken

I love all the pictures and videos in this thread. 

Barbender, it will be interesting to see what happens with a poplar thinning.  If there is a tolerant species seed source it may work to change the stand structure over time.  It's a bit of a shame that you folks still have to harvest your hardwood pulp to a 8' length.  Thankfully our hardwood mill accepts random length up to 22'

BargeMonkey  Seeing that sledgehammer beside the track makes me cringe a bit.  Three years ago this May while beating on a track pin a 1/4" long sliver of steel dislodged and severed a nerve in my arm.  My hand immediately would not open.  Took a major surgery and several months of healing before I could use it again.  The hand won't ever work the same again.  Here is a picture of the scar from surgery and the contraption I had to wear for months aferwards

Lots of toys for working in the bush

wannaergo

Holy mackerel Ken, that's looks nasty.

Bargemonkey, we had a track break like that on a year and a half old cat harvester. 3800 hours on it, and the link broke. Of course it chose to go at 6:30am in the middle of the woods. Needless to say, that was a great day...
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Gearbox

Barge Monkey isn't that a zipper link . They started using them about the time I got rid of my last dozer . I see now that it isn't . Should be a tapered pin . Ezzzzzy if you read the book to know witch way to pound it .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

barbender

Ken, that's horrible! We take for granted the things that can happen out there.

Thank you for the sympathy on the 8' wood ;). It's about 99.5% of what we do, basically everything except when we get in large pine, then we cut logs. It sure is a lot faster moving the long wood. I just got a larger grapple on my machine, a Huldtins SGll 420. I wanted to be able to grab enough 8' wood to make the K100 crane grunt, and it is doing that. Speeding production up 10% I suppose. Now it's a matter of seeing how durable it is, if it holds up our other BuffaloKing machines will likely get them as well.
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

Does the sg2 have the tapered jaws barbender?

barbender

No, it doesn't. I looked into getting one of those, that would be the 420A where mine is the 420S. Ponsse's guy in Rhinelander said that they were lighter duty, so they wouldn't back them. As it turns out, I think he was mistaken, I think they are the same construction as mine, the only difference being the jaws (I've had to learn more about Hultdins grapples then I want to know through this process :)) Our main grapple we run is the SG360S, the S denote the "heavy duty" construction. The SGII series has slightly different geometry, and it's not as heavy duty. Also, it is not as well guarded, I already nicked a cylinder by coming down on a stake. As far as operation goes though,  I really like it.  It has a bigger cylinder than a 360 and the first thing you notice is the extra power, it rolls wood much better. Kind of halfway between the 360 and the HSP Gripen grapples if you guys ever ran those.

1270d

I haven't used the gripen.  Always figured the extra cylinder was extra trouble.    We have 3  360s models now.   Used to have one 260s but that went with the Caribou.   

Have you heard what the idea behind the tapered jaw concept?

BargeMonkey

Quote from: teakwood on March 22, 2017, 06:42:52 PM
and that sledge hammer in the first pic is the right tool for busting a track?! :D :D
We have a couple different sized "B-O" pin drivers for diff sized stuff, hit one of those with a sledge. That track pin is keyed to only go one way, you can pick that link right out. Chains getting worn, 5,000 hrs on the original undercarriage, I've done a couple rollers and 1 idler. Daw-track quoted me 25k for a new one 2yrs ago, I want to try and get 2k-ish hrs more before I even want to think about it. 

I've donever enough of them, the gator tooth style tracks are usually pretty easy, even these didn't come apart to bad, no heat required. 😂
Ken, man that's gotta suck and sorry to hear that. I caught a small sliver of steel in my neck a few yrs ago beating a hard bar in the screen box in January and I bled like a pig, it doesn't take much to get hurt and I've tried to be extra careful lately.
Going to do shop work tomorrow, it's 8 degrees here right now, not going to bother fighting it.

barbender

I remember when it was originally released, I saw a write up in a trade magazine that said the purpose was to cut down on the amount of brush ending up in the wood, and also for improved sorting ability. I can definitely see the brush reduction, I often try to tip my grapple slightly as I grab a pile to keep the jaws from getting under and rolling brush in. It works well but takes a consistent amount of skill that I don't consistently have :D Yes, the Gripen grapples were much more maintenance intensive. The corner pins had caps that broke on a near daily basis (no kidding) I carried lots of spare parts. When you had a cylinder go bad, they were a real son of a gun to get apart, it took special equipment. Slide hammer pullers etc. They rolled wood better but I was happy to tell mine goodbye ;) I saw where they use the tapered style pins now like Hultdins, that would be a huge improvement.

mike_belben

Doing a thorough TSI job while clearing some of my land.  More firewood and tomato stakes than i know what to do with.

Praise The Lord

Stoneyacrefarm

Getting a few hitches pulled out before the snows all gone.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

BargeMonkey

The best money I ever spent was on that saw + loader. You would want to jump off a bridge trying to keep up by hand behind 1-2 skidders and I would run out of room on this job. Piles are alot higher than they look, I need to find a home for the stuff that isn't wet. 

This job has kind of been an experiment, seeing how limbing in the woods versus fulltree behind the buncher to the limber /loader worked. I get out and do the nasty hardwood with the saw up to the top, any good tops I set in a pile and I will get them later. Brush goes back in the woods, it does look nice. 

I don't cut alot of good wood, this lot is lowgrade 99% of the time and I'm chasing firewood, taking it whole tree isn't bad and I have certain spots and wet areas I've been dumping brush in.

coxy

barge I don't want to say to much if you know what I mean but those birch you have there would be great for what I told you

barbender

Barge, I hate to break it to ya, but I think you already know- it's time to go CTL ;) Shoots you already have a forwarder, put a processor head on the Timbco and rock n roll! Those tiny landings you have to work all the time beg for being stacked with a forwarder.

barbender

Birch tops make the best slash mats to go over soft areas, btw ;)

Gearbox

Barbender are you done after the rain yesterday . I finished processing the ash pile today brought the processer and conveyer home as a double pulled in the back yard and spun out . hope it gets cold tonight so I can turn around and unhook .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

barbender

I took today off, but I'll go down in the morning and pick up what the processor has down.

lshobie

John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

barbender

Nice video! I always count it a privilege bringing down one of those old "sentinels of the forest". With wisdom being the better part of valor, I noticed that you moved your pickups prior to falling ;D

lshobie

lol, oh heck ya we moved the trucks, that being said the man on the saw was only off his mark by about 3 feet at the top....fighting the wind and a lean.
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: lshobie on March 27, 2017, 11:32:35 PM
lol, oh heck ya we moved the trucks, that being said the man on the saw was only off his mark by about 3 feet at the top....fighting the wind and a lean.
That's an awesome video and a very nice stick of wood, saw some pile of boards out of that. 👍

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on March 24, 2017, 07:52:32 PM
barge I don't want to say to much if you know what I mean but those birch you have there would be great for what I told you
😂 I've got probably 1500ft set to one side and anything silver has a limited life expectancy for that kind of money. 👍

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on March 24, 2017, 08:47:31 PM
Barge, I hate to break it to ya, but I think you already know- it's time to go CTL ;) Shoots you already have a forwarder, put a processor head on the Timbco and rock n roll! Those tiny landings you have to work all the time beg for being stacked with a forwarder.
I want to believe me, it is the better way to go for the wood im cutting and I know it, just right now it's out of my reach with putting the gas station / store in. Honestly alot depends on my oldest son, if he wants to go into the woods. Im done trying to find help and other than my processor / sawmill I could care less about supplying or selling to anyone else, 2 of my best wood customers are getting up there, one is pushing 70 and 1 just turned 80, my father is 63 and starting to slow down some, I'm going to be 25 employees deep by june and the wood side may go down to 1/4 of what it is now, im already figuring once my firewood is up for the yr im parkingparking everything again. I figured a final drive last week was bad enough, I've got issues with the Cat in my log truck, mechanic comes Wednesday and we are probably going to start yanking it down for an inframe.

BargeMonkey

My oldest boy tailing saw today, he will work if you poke him hard enough. 😂 

His mother texts me asking me if he is working, so that was my reply today. I don't know how many of you guys have kids who are just getting old enough to participate in the family business but it's a great feeling sometimes. Woods where too muddy so I figured catch up on firewood and maintenance. Moving to a job next week that's some of the steepest ground I've ever worked, honestly contemplating calling and ordering 150ft of cable for my 460.😂

Thank You Sponsors!