TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 178402 times)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #1560 on: March 19, 2017, 09:37:42 pm »
And yes Gearbox, they thinned it down to a basal of 60. Aspen thins were more common probably 15 years ago, the county and UPM were both trying it but have both moved away from it. I don't know what the USFS objective is with this one. There is scattered spruce and balsam throughout, perhaps it will reseed the understory. I do know I've read somewhere that the Chippewa wants to move away from managing for aspen, probably one way to accomplish that is this thinning. It won't regenerate in it's own shade, so maybe the conifers and some shade tolerant hardwoods will come up.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Gearbox

• I'm new!
« Reply #1561 on: March 19, 2017, 10:18:58 pm »
It's the forest service they have a plan . It just may not be a good plan but we will stick with it . Like the big pine blow down that took them a year to let it be cleaned up .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer and not near enough time

Offline newoodguy78

• Full Member x2
« Reply #1562 on: March 19, 2017, 10:32:36 pm »
Again Barbender great videos and thank you for sharing. I'm not sure what boggles my mind more the sheer volume of wood you guys are moving or the logistics of keeping everything moving so efficiently. Either way that is one impressive operation to be a part of.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1563 on: March 19, 2017, 10:41:44 pm »
Thanks Newoodguy, it is more along the lines of "organized chaos" at times, but it is an impressive operation and I'm proud to be a part of it.
Gearbox, the amount of pine the USFS allowed to lay on the ground and go bad should have been criminal. I had a large area right behind our house that is on the East side of Big Ball Club lake, that was one of the hardest hit areas in that July of 2012 windstorm. Beautiful Red and White pine, and it was absolutely flattened. We had that really dry fall and I was getting pretty concerned with all that tinder right behind my house. They finally came in and chipped it all a year and a half ago. If I owned large tracts of forest land, and paid someone to manage it and they did a job like the USFS I'd be firing them. To be fair, I don't know if the USFS knows who they work for, or what they want.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1564 on: March 19, 2017, 11:54:07 pm »
Hitting it like a savage on a sunday. 😂 I've got an expensive final drive to order this week and close to getting this job done. The snow is miserable but no one said logging was easy. 🤘 

Waddle thru the snow with my 395. 😂 I can remember being a kid shoveling around big oak for my dad one yr cutting wood on christmas break. 

I can't keep that one front chain straight. I was just about to put new ring chain on this week and put those double diamonds on the back, the back chains are tired. That 460 never fails to impress me, as much as I love a cable skidder that dual arch is so smooth and handy. You don't get the volume sometimes a big cable will but the speed and not beating yourself to death is so nice.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1565 on: March 20, 2017, 07:17:20 am »
barge count the links on each side of the side chain some chains have 3 links in between the cross links and some have 4 I had the same trouble till I figured that out I always went by the number of left over links from the side chain but that don't work on some of them cause of the odd links some my go 3-3-4 or 4-3-4 some how you always have 1 extra link on the side chain  it maybe on the inside or the out side  hope you under stand what I'm trying to say  if not give me a call  my # is in your PM

Offline g_man

« Reply #1566 on: March 20, 2017, 07:34:43 am »
enjoyed videos barbender - Thanks

Aspen thin interesting. Nice job you guys do

gg

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #1567 on: March 20, 2017, 08:24:33 am »
Barbender, nice video , I know one thing for sure you donot want me running your processor if you want your piles to look like you got them LOL , Im cutting junk right now , got a couple clear cuts to do . not worth much but it still pays ok.  Barge nothing wrong with the timber your cutting and what it feel like to have to fall with a saw in snow LOL

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
« Reply #1568 on: March 20, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »
 Coxy is right on. When mine go 3 3 4 I put a clevise in the 4 to pull it tight. Some of my side chains have 3 5 clevices on them.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1569 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:07 pm »
Barge nothing wrong with the timber your cutting and what it feel like to have to fall with a saw in snow LOL
Cutting the big stuff isn't bad, I got greedy and decided to start cutting some of the firewood and with the wind blowing it I almost got a powerhead 😂 I don't cut the big stuff with the timbco anyway, you risk ripping a good log and it doesn't do as nice of a job. Anything 24-26" and down you wouldn't catch me with 3 guys handcutting. 👍 I'm headed to this white oak - hemlock job once I put a new final drive in, the landowner thinks this is going to be WEEKS 😂, I'm breaking the logger I bought some equipment from out of retirement to come run delimber for me, he just turned 80 and is foaming at the mouth to go cut some wood, have a real operation going.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1570 on: March 20, 2017, 09:50:26 pm »
barge count the links on each side of the side chain some chains have 3 links in between the cross links and some have 4 I had the same trouble till I figured that out I always went by the number of left over links from the side chain but that don't work on some of them cause of the odd links some my go 3-3-4 or 4-3-4 some how you always have 1 extra link on the side chain  it maybe on the inside or the out side  hope you under stand what I'm trying to say  if not give me a call  my # is in your PM
I appreciate it and I will give you a call one night to shoot the bull. 👍  I've got to get a warm day and adjust it, those front chains are headed to the back and new 3/4 rings for the front as soon as I make some money again, 😂

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1571 on: March 21, 2017, 06:40:32 am »
just wondering why are you going rings

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1572 on: March 22, 2017, 12:18:29 am »
just wondering why are you going rings
I prefer the ring chains, they don't ride as nice but they are really nice in this rocky stuff I work in. I've been buying alot of our chain thru TCR in ME and they have been real good, still expensive but you don't do them the often.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1573 on: March 22, 2017, 12:27:48 am »
 I've been sick the last couple days because I've always tried to not beat on that Timbco. Unfortunately our repair bills are pretty nuts sometimes when stuff goes down, I'm actually going to luck out on this one with only a few shafts and bearings. When I popped that cover I expected to see a grenade. 😂didn't know how many of you guys have ever broken tracks before, if you've got the proper tools it's not bad. 

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• Full Member x2
« Reply #1574 on: March 22, 2017, 11:59:42 am »
Barge,

At least you got the right tools to do the job.  That sure does help.
LIVE FREE OR DIE
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
« Reply #1575 on: March 22, 2017, 06:42:52 pm »
and that sledge hammer in the first pic is the right tool for busting a track?! :D :D

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
« Reply #1576 on: March 22, 2017, 07:25:13 pm »
I love all the pictures and videos in this thread. 

Barbender, it will be interesting to see what happens with a poplar thinning.  If there is a tolerant species seed source it may work to change the stand structure over time.  It's a bit of a shame that you folks still have to harvest your hardwood pulp to a 8' length.  Thankfully our hardwood mill accepts random length up to 22'

BargeMonkey  Seeing that sledgehammer beside the track makes me cringe a bit.  Three years ago this May while beating on a track pin a 1/4" long sliver of steel dislodged and severed a nerve in my arm.  My hand immediately would not open.  Took a major surgery and several months of healing before I could use it again.  The hand won't ever work the same again.  Here is a picture of the scar from surgery and the contraption I had to wear for months aferwards

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Offline wannaergo

• Full Member x2
  • Work while I'm young, sleep when I'm dead!
« Reply #1577 on: March 22, 2017, 07:55:21 pm »
Holy mackerel Ken, that's looks nasty.

Bargemonkey, we had a track break like that on a year and a half old cat harvester. 3800 hours on it, and the link broke. Of course it chose to go at 6:30am in the middle of the woods. Needless to say, that was a great day...
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Offline Gearbox

• I'm new!
« Reply #1578 on: March 22, 2017, 08:23:45 pm »
Barge Monkey isn't that a zipper link . They started using them about the time I got rid of my last dozer . I see now that it isn't . Should be a tapered pin . Ezzzzzy if you read the book to know witch way to pound it .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer and not near enough time

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1579 on: March 22, 2017, 08:47:06 pm »
Ken, that's horrible! We take for granted the things that can happen out there.

Thank you for the sympathy on the 8' wood ;). It's about 99.5% of what we do, basically everything except when we get in large pine, then we cut logs. It sure is a lot faster moving the long wood. I just got a larger grapple on my machine, a Huldtins SGll 420. I wanted to be able to grab enough 8' wood to make the K100 crane grunt, and it is doing that. Speeding production up 10% I suppose. Now it's a matter of seeing how durable it is, if it holds up our other BuffaloKing machines will likely get them as well.