iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf40diesel

Another one, as I have finally figured out how to post pics!!!.  Smaller load,  the road out is kinda boney with rocks... I find it best to "go light and go often."  Plus with the heavy crust we had on the snow, the ride on the skidder is a welcomed break.

John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

g_man

Quote from: Gearbox on February 08, 2017, 06:31:20 PM
I gave it up yesterday . the snow is just too deep for tractor logging . You get off the trail and it just chatters to get through . I guess if I needed wood I would tough it out but better days are coming .

That is what used to happen to me. I was going to get a skidder but decided that just wasn't me.  I like my little tractor. But I bought a small TD7G dozer. Now I can make good tractor roads in the summer and keep them open in the winter. Trouble now is that once I get off the tractor and start to wallow with the cable thru the snow things slow way down. Maybe I need to bring the snow blower out :D

gg

Gearbox

Good time to sit by the fire . Sugar bush time is right around the corner. We will get plenty of snow slogging time then .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

chevytaHOE5674

Since our other processor is in the shop getting its fire damage repaired they sent us out a rental machine to run. It has a larger crane and newer/larger harvester head. I've fallen in love with it and told the boss he needs to buy it, haha.

Knocking down some pulp.

Felling a 24" hardmaple

Video of the maple going down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpC0M0K_lQw

ehp

pretty warm here today so did a bin of firewood , Im out of firewood logs now so I may send the processor down the road 

OH logger

Quote from: ehp on February 11, 2017, 02:47:11 PM
pretty warm here today so did a bin of firewood , Im out of firewood now now so I may send the processor down the road 

bring it here. I can dispose of it for you  ;D
john

lopet

Quote from: mf40diesel on February 11, 2017, 08:21:10 AM
Another one, as I have finally figured out how to post pics!!!.  Smaller load,  the road out is kinda boney with rocks... I find it best to "go light and go often."  Plus with the heavy crust we had on the snow, the ride on the skidder is a welcomed break.

mf40, now you got the picture thingy figured out, let's see some more close up pics of your jack. :) :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

coxy

that's why I don't like the cable chokers you cant get the logs/wood off the ground far enough  but to each his own  :) ;D are they 18 4 34 or 16 9 30 tires on there

RunningRoot

My mind is blown !! Lol....
I started this thread I don't know how long ago but it was a couple years ago at the very least...
I'm surprised to return to the forum and see that it's still circulating with over 160k views and 1400+ posts !!!...
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on February 11, 2017, 06:49:37 PM

that's why I don't like the cable chokers you cant get the logs/wood off the ground far enough  but to each his own  :) ;D are they 18 4 34 or 16 9 30 tires on there
😂😂 a cable choker is like a unicorn around here, I've seen them for sale but never seen one used, these guys from ME swear by them, 2 milk crates full of chain in my truck.

thecfarm

They may swear by them,but I think they are a dieing breed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

xalexjx

Logging and Processed Firewood

BargeMonkey

Quote from: xalexjx on February 11, 2017, 08:41:40 PM
haha whats a choker?  :D
I look everytime I come home to make sure my skidder operator hasn't yanked the winch off my 460, says its a great machine but we need to sell the winch, he basically refuses to use it anymore. The 10 sliders don't exactly make it comfortable. 😂

mf40diesel

They are super quick to dump the load at the landing, but come off often, and will never last as long as a chain. 

Its the way the machine was set up when I got it.  I believe going forward, as they break I will replace with chains... one at a time.  Clearly no reason to throw the good ones away.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mf40diesel on February 12, 2017, 07:01:36 AM
They are super quick to dump the load at the landing, but come off often, and will never last as long as a chain. 

Its the way the machine was set up when I got it.  I believe going forward, as they break I will replace with chains... one at a time.  Clearly no reason to throw the good ones away.
I've only ever run chain chokers and they turn you into a miserable individual by the end of the day especially with deep snow. The one picture won't load but it showed how I bunch wood for cable versus grapple, piles and kind of a teepee of wood. Cable skidder is still the way to go sometimes. I've got 120 acres of larger stuff that's 1mile skid left on this job, my guy turns a hitch, gets out of one machine and hops in the cab of the other, musical skidders all day long, you can break a good man behind a cable skidder 😂, my cousin has 3 of them and runs his guys like savages. Carrying anything more than an 8' choker is pointless, hook 2 sliders together and go. 

I tried the square chain and didn't feel it was worth the extra, springtime you lose a few but I hook short and tight and rarely have trouble. 

Hook 10 all day it doesn't take long, I keep a box of tissues in the cab to stop the whining. 😂

coxy

in the spring if I have to hook on the top I cut a notch in it or double wrap the chocker chain

mf40diesel

I will definitely double wrap alot of the smaller stuff.  Which helps a ton.  That and cramming a twig in the bell has helped keep the choker from coming apart too.

My machine has 16.9-30's, which are well worn.  haha

coxy

what do you mean by putting a twig in the bell  ???  to bad it didn't have 18-4 26 could have made the FF some money

mf40diesel

Once you make up the choker, you cram a little twig in the bell to help lock it in.  Works when the "spring" in the cable want to open the choker up and pop apart.

What do you mean that the 18.4's would have made the forestry forum money?

coxy

I could have sold them to you  :) I have 2 that are 85-90% and 2 at 70-80%      if some one sells something through the ff the ff gets 5% of the sale

mf40diesel

Oh roger that... haha.  My tires are pretty poor.  Back ones are maybe 20%, but are in pretty fair shape with regards to cracks and what not;  front ones are 10-15%, and are quite a bit worse.  Big scallop taken out of my front right sidewall too....  hoping it holds on for a while anyway.  Would like to find some that are equivalent to the rears.

coxy

the way I look at it is if they hold air tire chains are cheaper and easer to put on  than tires :D :) 8)

mf40diesel

I agree...    That one if the front though almost has a blister, which leads me to believe that just the wrong rock hits it and I'm in trouble. 

If I see on CL a firestone in similiar condition to the opposite front time, I may pounce on it.. just to have.

lynde37avery

I'm cutting some pine. a little bit of hardwood logs and firewood too. not much for Hemlock on this job.

Detroit WHAT?

David-L

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!