iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hi ya'll

Started by reubenT, January 27, 2015, 01:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reubenT

I'm Reuben,  we own 80 acres mountainside timberland, middle TN here on the edge of the cumberland plateau.  I also work a neighbor's 47 acres back of us,  and farm some fields next to us owned by a timber company and leased to a hunting club.  (I keep the hay cut and can use it to grow crops as I like)   
   I had a great grandfather who owned a steam mill around 1900,  it was a portable engine that he rigged up to drive itself and used it to pull two big wagons, the mill equipment  on one and family in the other.  went to farms and sawed for their houses and barns on site.   For awhile his family lived in a tent on the job year round,  but winters in north Indiana aren't good for tent dwelling so he finally got a house in Fair Oaks.   My grandmother pointed it out to me once in the 70's,  it was tumble down then.    An uncle also ran a mill for awhile in Michigan.  (grandson of the steam mill operator)   In the 60's.  He now runs a lt 15 woodmizer as a retirement occupation in southern Ill.
    Anyway, I got a woodmizer LT30 in 1989,   run it off and on for 25 years,  sold it last year knowing I'd miss it and need more lumber,   so now I'm fixin to rejuvenate an old bellsaw and see what I can do with it. (since it's free for the fixin for now)   I'll have to learn a whole different area of blade maintenance technology.  I have a lot of small popular to process as I clear some land for ag use, too small to bring much money graded in the log but big enough to make nice lumber.     and a whole range of varieties from super soft to super hard.  Plenty of cedar (juniper of course since I'm in the southeast USA)  I'll use for greenhouse timbers, since I plan on building several big greenhouses. I might even sell some cedar lumber if I have some to spare off the sides of the greenhouse timbers.    Growing good food and playing with a few horses are my other likable occupations.
     PS;  my folks moved to TN when I was little bigger than knee high to a polywog, spring of 1966,  I don't quite remember the event since I wasn't payin attention.  My memory started recording events in the next couple years. 

Magicman

Hello reubenT, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Welcome to the forum, never visited it personally but always heard about how pretty that part of the country is, don't be afraid to share some pictures  ;) :).

Magicman

Adding your location to your profile always helps with questions, etc.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Raider Bill

Welcome from over there near Tellico Plains part time.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, ReubenT. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!