iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crankcase halves

Started by ohiowoodchuck, January 26, 2015, 08:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I got a ms460 with a bad crankcase, only one side is bad. I know stihl recommends replacing them as a set. I'd say there line honed together. So has anybody ever changed out one side.
Education is the best defense against the media.

sawguy21

Are they available individually? Conventional wisdom says they are assembled and finish machined as a unit. I suppose you could try mixing and matching but it's a lot of time and effort down the tube if it doesn't work.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

joe_indi

Absolutely no issues with mating odd pairs of 046 or MS 460 since 1998! smiley_grin
You just go ahead and do it. Only once did I get a very very small difference on the cylinder face of the assembled crankcases. It was easily solved by a few strokes of a flat file.
After you tighten up the 5 M5X20 crankcase screws, rotate the crankshaft, it should move freely. The worm too should rotate without any tight spots.If there are tight spots, remove the oil pump, tap the clutch side bearing inwards. The oil pump should sit flush on the crankcase without rocking. Check with the worm again. Do not fit the oil seals  before all this.
Joe

joe_indi

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on January 26, 2015, 08:44:27 PM
I got a ms460 with a bad crankcase, only one side is bad. I know stihl recommends replacing them as a set. I'd say there line honed together. So has anybody ever changed out one side.

Stihl sells them only as a matched set, but a used side in good condition is what you can use. What is the 'bad' in that side that has gone bad?

ohiowoodchuck

The rod broke and went through it. Did the later 046 have the flip caps?

joe_indi

046s did not come with the flip caps but all the 460s came with flip caps.
Playing Sherlock Holmes, it is the flywheel side that is bad.

ohiowoodchuck

Yes it blew a hole right through it.

sablatnic

If you can find a carcase somewhere to pick parts from, then do it, some will fit and some wont.

Many years ago I standardised on the Partner cubes, to be able to pick parts and repair, and did the same fitting from different crankcases.

ohiowoodchuck

I found a complete crankcase with crankshaft for 95.00 or just the half I need for 50.00, guy said the case, crank and bearings are good for 95.00. I'm not sure which way to go. the bearings are good in my broken cases and I was going to reuse them.

Thank You Sponsors!