iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just starting out

Started by bucknwfl, January 26, 2015, 03:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucknwfl

Just getting started but I have little to no experience with planers. I would like to be able to plane and t&g on the same machine or maybe not.  Which machine, two or just one machine. Any suggestions

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

york

Albert

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, bucknwfl.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coppolajc10

You could also look at Timberking's website.They sell Woodmaster planers that also do t and g.  I think many on here own one.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, bucknwfl!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bucknwfl

Guys thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions. I am still doing my homework.  All is appreciated

Thanks

Buck

coppolajc10

Chuck, you've got cake near your age there, must be your birthday ... happy birthday to ya, hope it was a good one!

Evergreen Man

I'm doing a lot of work right now with my WoodMaster Moulder, what kind of machine and how many depends on how much work your doing. If it's just a hobby or a small side job, then one smallish machine like mine will do the trick. If you need high production then you will need a large machine with multiple heads or at least one machine for planing and one for Moulding. At least thats my two cents worth ;) plenty of people on here with more eperience than me.

I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

red oaks lumber

the first question is ,are you wanting to do it full time or as a small part time hobby? if its' full time , you'll want a moulder (5 or 6 head) a 2 sided planer and a gang rip saw and a good dust collection. with this basic line of equipment you'll be able to process a couple thousand b.f. per day. if you think down the road you want to go full time,still start with the above equipment, if your goal is to remain very small part time, i'm not much help :D what ever you choose don't let  price be your main reason on what size equipment to purchase. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

uler3161

The WoodMaster will do what you want and for a reasonable price.  My experience is only with the WoodMaster. We bought it mostly for the log cabin siding ability since we weren't too impressed with the Logosol log cabin profile. Also we liked how the WoodMaster would plane wider material (we have the 18" model). That being said, it has some weak points that keep it from really being a production machine.

If you're looking for decent production and the Logosol will make the product you want, I'd suggest going with the Logosol. But I think it'd be best to see one in action and talk to some owners.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

WV Sawmiller

Buck,

Welcome to the forum. I grew up across the river in Bluff Springs and went to school at Century. Look forward to hearing more from you. (Sorry, I can't help with your planer question as I don't use one yet.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bucknwfl

Thanks guys. I found a couple of planers locally and one for sale. I am going to go look and talk with them to get a better understanding of the machines. I also found a guy who has moved from Alabama who is cutting some juniper ( which I have been looking for) that should have his planer and t&g set up soon. I will go check it all out as soon as I can.

Keep the recommendations coming

Thanks

Buck

Thank You Sponsors!