iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Carving

Started by WV_hillbilly, August 22, 2004, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

Is anyone doing chainsaw carvings  ?  I was thinking of trying to do this . I need to know  how do you get started  , are there any books or videos availiable and what kind of saws chains and bars do I need .

Hillbilly  
Hillbilly

leweee

you mean this kind of stuff ???

Somewhere in Wisconson! three prong elm stump.
Try Bailey'shttp://www.baileys-online.com chainsaw carving on the left menuhttp://www.carvingworld.com/index2.htm.
http://www.discount-books.com/
cheers leweee ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

leweee

One of my favourites! ;D
THE CHAINSAWN' BEAR by Matt Kelley

Add's new meaning to the word CARVING   :o ;D 8) 8) 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

WV_hillbilly

Leweee

WOW  . That's what I'm talkin about in the first post .  That first one took some vison , time and ability . The pics in the second post are funny and artistic.

We went to the Grand Opening of the Cabela's in Wheeling ,WV and the Stihl procarving team was there.  I have been thinking about it for a while . The wife says  " I bet you could do that too "  . I ask if that was an okay to buy some new equipment  ?   ;D   She said after what I had just spent at Cabela's not for a while .   :(   I will just have to take my time  and I will get some new stuff. So for now I'll have to get educated about what to buy /need  .  
Hillbilly

leweee

WV_ hillbilly                                                                                       Sure am impressed with your scrollsaw work that I've seen here on the forum. Keep up the good work. 8) My favorite woodworking tool is stihl my chainsaw (but I don't carve with it yet) ;D Loggen & sawn & sawn & Loggen   leweee

WV_hillbilly

Thanks leweee.

It is just a hobby for me . But I sure like it .
Hillbilly

Woodcarver

Chainsawcarving: the Art & Craft by Hal Macintosh is a good book on the subject available from both Amazon.Com and Barnes & Noble.

Woodcarver
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

leweee

Woodcarver
Welcome to the Forum. Have you seen the elm tree stump carving in your state?(first two photos in this thread). ??? leweee

Woodcarver

I haven't seen that one. I'm curious about where exactly in the state it's located.  My wife and and I both do a little hand (manual)
carving. Like Arky we are thinking of trying chainsaw carving.  

Woodcarver

Woodcarver

Oops.  Should have said Hillbilly, not Arky.  Sorry about that.

Woodcarver

WV_hillbilly

woodcarver

Thanks I will have to get that book .

Boy that Arky guy gets around . Next thing you know he will be showing up at scroll saw competitions  showin off his skills  Introducing himself as Hillbilly .  :D
Hillbilly

DanG

Arkey will never make a decent cussword, though. Sounds more like a cat sneezing.  AAARkheee!    :D :D

There used to be a chainsaw carver in Tallahassee(he may still be there, but I ain't) that did some magnificent sculptures on the roadsides. He would get the City, County and State crews to leave some big snags when they were removing dead trees, and would create his works right there beside the roads. He did a trio of dolphins, leaping from the water, from a huge live oak stump that must have been 30' high. He also did a bunch of smaller pieces in one of the city parks, from some pines that had to come down. One of the most interesting was in the park. It was a cage with a ball inside.  The ball was too big to get out through the bars, but was completely free inside so you could reach in and roll it around. I still ain't figgered out how he did it.
All of his work eventually rotted away, but it gave a lot of people great pleasure in the mean time. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

victorytea

Hillbilly; Bailey's sells special saws for carving and have a book to get you started.  Paul F B

Woodcarver

If I'm not mistaken Bailey's also includes an instruction video in their chainsaw carving "kit"

Woodcarver

Jeff

I see one of our area carvers has been busy this week just a little ways from me. Usually you see them carving the stump, this one carved the butt log laying right close to the road. Looks like he has a little more work planned since his shingle is still out.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV_hillbilly

That's  neat Jeff.

Maybe next year you could direct me  to this place when we come up for the Pig Roast  .  
Hillbilly

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV_hillbilly

Thanks Swampdonkey.   I'll have to  check them out tommorrow when I get home.

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Coot

Where can i get the THE CHAINSAWN' BEAR , i think that looks cool , every woodsman should have one

SwampDonkey

http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/hartland.htm

Here's a carving in a town nearby. It celebrates an era long past on the Saint John River when you would see both Indian folk and white people fishing the river for Atlantic Salmon. When the hydro electric projects moved in it disrupted a way of life and the means of making a living for many folk. My grandfather used to own his own part of the river where he guided salmon fisherman and he was invited to fish in parts of the river by local native folks. In those days some folks has riperian rights on the river. The old deeds stated that you owned what was on the river, under the water and in the water in the days that King George or Queen Victoria granted the land.

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Here is another big carving just outside of town that was done last fall. I never noticed it till just a couple weeks ago as I had not been out that way. Its a big 'un!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV_hillbilly

That' a creative carving you found Jeff .  I 'll bet that one took some time to get it to look so good .  I will try and see some of these when we come up for the pig roast .
Hillbilly

SwampDonkey

KiwiCharlie

Quote from: Woodcarver on August 24, 2004, 08:31:07 AM
Chainsawcarving: the Art & Craft, by Hal Macintosh is a good book on the subject available from both Amazon.Com and Barnes & Noble.

I can give a vote to this book too - I found it a great intro to the art.  Its very infectious!
Also - I would like to get a hold of a Chainsawin Bear too - thats great!
Cheers
Charlie
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Ironwood

WV Hillbilly,

Just remember truely talented folk make things look easy. It could be as plumber sweating a joint or a writer finishing a novel, Nothing is more annoying than hearing "oh, yeah I/you could do that". no offense meant, just keep it in mind as you travel around seeing these talented folk doin their thing keep it discrete and then go home and practice. Be careful as well lots of saws cutting at odd angles and such, good luck, and if'in you are good, you should be able to make some good money. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!