iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100 low lead or as we refer to it "rocket fuel"

Started by PB Logging, January 03, 2007, 08:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB Logging

Operating in central Illinois, where all things are corn, ethanol is hard to escape in the local fuel market.  After enduring many fuel related saw failures it was suggested by someone (don't remember who) that we switch to 100 octance low lead airplane avgas aka Rocket Fuel.  At an average of $3.50/gallon its not cheap. 

Having done so for a number of years nowI'm quite satisfied with the results.. Want a screaming saw? Give this fuel a try. 

I'm interested in other persons experiences / feedback.

Also,  I'm interested hearing what people have to say about the 2 cycle oil that people are using.  While I have found a difference in fuel quality in relationship to performance I have not see anything with regards to mix oil performance.

floorboy

The only difference I see in mix oil is the amount of smoke from the saw. I run 2-cycle oil from a comany called Lubrication Engineers out of texas. My saws have run several seasons without a single fouled spark plug. They even start after sitting for extended periods of non use. I  mix all my gas at 50:1 no mater what brand the saw.  I want to hear more on this rocket fuel. I asume that 100 is the octane rating. What is the difference between this and 112 octane torco racing fuel?

Tony_T

100 LL is 100 octane low lead aviation gas (the blue stuff).  By law airports must pump their tanks for water each day and I assume any ethanol (which mixes with water) would also be a big no no for an airplane. 

I used to run it in an old chevy that had 11.5:1 compression motor (was cheaper than Cam 2 racing gas) and also have cut a little in some older engines that don't have hardened valve seats as it does contain some lead for this purpose.  I've not run any in my saws, yet.  I'm still working off a couple 55 gal drums of premium I filled before they started putting all this crap in the fuel, but will proably run it when this supply runs dry. 

You will have to find an airport friendly letting you buy some.  In the old days I'd pull my Chevy right up to the pumps and say filler up, these days that might cause a swat team to be called.  The kid who pumped the gas was always happy when I did a good burnout for him when I left  ;D

There are two other grades commonly available, depending on the airport 80 LL (red) and 115 LL (green).  The 80 is for low compression motors, would not be good for a saw.  The 115 might work but would be more ocatne than you need.  I used to cut the 115 50:50 with pump premium for my Chevy.  I think the 100 would you're best bet for a saw.

JetSnake

One advantage with 100 Low Lead AV gas is that it's always going to be in good shape, it's not going to be stale like you could find at a gas station. The bad thing with 100LL is that it makes less power in what ever you put it in unless you increase compression or advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane.

Dan_Shade

if there is a local car race track, they will have "good" gas as well, but it will be expensive.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

MDP

I've been wanting to try a little higher octane fuel in my saws for a long time just can't afford it right now. As far as mix oil, I started running the Amsoil saber at 64:1, which is 10 oz. oil per five gallons gas. Very little if any smoke and seems to be excellent lubrication.
My local saw mechanic was telling me that Stihl did some extensive testing, in other words run a saw for days maybe even weeks on end with the Amsoil at 100:1 and had real good results.

Mark

caz

Although I do not cut for a living I do Manage to cut about 3 to 4 cords a year.
I have done this for 17 years burning Amsoil @ 100-1 In my husky 50 and my small poulans.
Have never had a problem only have changed one plug (it broke) in all that time.

Just a note: Bought a new weed eater last year It is an echo came with a bottle of mix
to be mixed at 50-1 mixed it up to use warranty and all ya know.
Had a little left over not wanting to let it sit a year I figured I use it up in my poulans.
Funny thing was I had to ritchin up the saws cause they were running lean That tells ya something about the amsoil even though it say 100-1

arojay

I'm going to start running an avgas/regular mix for better quality and r.o.n. for the same reasons that you do.  I only run Huskies now for about 14 or 15 years.  I always bought their mix oil for no real reason other than that it has fuel preservative in it.  The cost of mix oil at 50:1 is not a big consideration to me.  I'm a lone logger from about September to May most years, hand falling and cable skidding so I use a bit of gas in my saws.

440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Frickman

Racing gas at our local track is way over $6.00 / gallon I think. We just started our season a couple of days ago and still have gas left from last year. I'll have to check this week to see what price it is now.

Last year this time avgas was $3.40 / gallon at the local GA airport. Premium at the pump was around $3.00 I think, so it wasn't much more.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

arojay

I got into the avgas/octane subject on a different thread.  Hard to get fresh premium where I live so I was thinking avgas is always fresh and clean so I'd mix it down with regular.  Regular is $1.16 per liter here.  Multiply by 3.88 I think for U.S. gallon equivalent, about $4.50 per.  When I do buy premium gas I just don't look at the price, It hurts less.  I just talked to local air charter guy today, he used to sell fuel at the strip but he sold his last i/c float plane and his are all turboprop now.  He quit selling fuel last fall, too many hassles for not enough money.  No avgas locally.  I can buy by the drum at the bulk plant in the big city so I'll probably start doing that next fall. No point now as logging season is about done. 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Thank You Sponsors!