iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recycle Hydraulic Oil?

Started by Ljohnsaw, January 26, 2015, 11:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Working on my backhoe replacing hoses, I've captured about a gallon and a half of clean hydraulic oil.  Hate to just dump it (at the oil drop off) and wondering what other uses it might still serve.  How about bar oil?  To thin? Not "sticky" enough?

Ideas?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

pineywoods

Not sticky enough, add a bit of stp or motor honey, then it works just fine.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

clww

As pineywoods wrote, it's not sticky enough without an additional additive.
I would save it for it's intended use later if it were me. "Waste not, want not".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ST Ranch

I mix mine about 2 parts regular bar oil [summer weight] with 1 part hydrallic oil and it works good. - I won't use this if I am cutting dry firewood, but green Logs and trees is OK.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Corley5

My firewood processer lubes the bar with straight hydraulic oil from the hydraulic system.  Works just fine.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

I mix used tractor hydraulic fluid 50-50 with ATF for my general sawmill lube such as up-down and power feed chains, etc.  (Not for the hydraulic pump)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: clww on January 26, 2015, 12:19:18 PM
As pineywoods wrote, it's not sticky enough without an additional additive.
I would save it for it's intended use later if it were me. "Waste not, want not".

I won't put it back in - its not pristine anymore, it washed dirt off as it leaked into the buckets.  I figure once it settles, adding some STP I'l have quite the supply of bar oil.  I bought 20 gallons of hydraulic oil for my Skytrak and used 15 - so I have plenty to refill my new backhoe. 8)

I dropped off 17 hoses to be remade at the shop.  He offered me a cash discount and they should be ready first thing tomorrow.  He just called, total was $670.29 but will take $500 cash!  Granted, 4 hoses were only 1/4", 12" long.  I paid $100 for one 6 foot hose at NAPA last fall :-[  Piece of mind knowing I will not have a hose breakdown when I'm up the hill.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

brendonv

Id mix it with bar oil

Check surplus center for hoses. 75% cheaper than napa or my hydro guy.

I just bought a fitting at napa last week for a forwarder. $30. Surplus center is $8.

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: brendonv on January 26, 2015, 06:09:26 PM
Id mix it with bar oil

Check surplus center for hoses. 75% cheaper than napa or my hydro guy.

I just bought a fitting at napa last week for a forwarder. $30. Surplus center is $8.

Too late ::)  Just got back from the hydro guy with my new hoses.  Couldn't wait till tomorrow, what to install them tonight ;)  Not knowing what make or brand Surplus Center is stocking, I feel better going with a local guy that's been around for years.  He wouldn't risk selling something that he is not 100% confident in.

I figured if I went to NAPA, I'd spend at least $750 on these hoses so I'm money ahead.  He also threw in some plastic spiral wrap (when I asked about it) to protect the hoses as they go through the bottom knuckle.
John Sawicky

bill m

Not sure about your winters but here it has been below freezing most of January. In the winter I have been using used hydraulic for bar oil for about 20 years now with no problems.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Maine logger88

I have never had trouble using used hyd oil for winter bar oil
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Ljohnsaw

So I had a vision this morning on what to use my old oil for!  I ended up with just shy of 5 quarts that I was able to capture and spilled about 2 quarts.  The Little Monster has an oil bath air filter - perfect use for this oil!  Probably 2/3 of a quart to fill it.  My property is so dusty in the summer, I'll need to replace it several times during construction.

I cycled the rams to work the air out and still was acting like some was in it.  When I started it up again yesterday afternoon, I could hear it bubbling in the tank when not doing anything - must be sucking air to the pump.

So, figuring less than 2 gallons of oil removed from my Little Monster's tank, I carefully added about 2 gallons from a 5 gallon bucket.  Stuck in the dip stick (only about a 10" one) and nothing on the end.  Dumped in another gallon and a half - nothing!  Dumps the full bucket in - NOTHING.  Nothing on the floor, either smiley_thumbsup_grin  The tank looks to be about 10 gallons so now it probably has about 6 in it.

The movement is now good so off to OSH to pick up another 5 gallon to top it off.
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!