iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you manage sprocket/rim*** and chain wear?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, January 26, 2015, 10:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Wondering what different practices are to manage or optimize your chain and rim wear.

I've heard it said to wear out two chains and one sprocket together.  But what if you use many chains?   For example either because you would rather carry a lot of chains and sharpen at home, or maybe because you also use chains of different lengths.  The two chain/one sprocket idea seems fine for homeowners or limited sawing not for a work situation.   Unless one kept all your chains grouped with two chains and a sprocket together and changed sprockets when going to a different set of two chains.

Also have heard either don't use a new sprocket with used chain, and don't use a new chain with a used sprocket.  Any rules here?

Appreciate hearing if you've thought about this.

***p.s. I added the "/rim***" to the post title.   Senior moment.  when I wrote this post my mind was stuck on an old image of a spur sprocket with wear marks in it as on my 090 and 028 (latter replaced with Oregon sprocket/rim some time ago).  I guess I"m asking about replacing rims, and whether one uses a new one on old chain or an old one on new chain.   Same questions. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jiles

I feel it is best to have a rim sprocket setup. I usually change sprocket when there is about .010 wear.
Most recommend changing when wear reaches .020.
Wear is measured on the tip of teeth.
With my experience, chains don't wear as much as sprockets if chain oiler is set and working correctly, so I just change the sprocket when its time.
Satisfy needs before desires

beenthere

I agree with Jiles, as the game changes when the drive sprockets changed to rim style. 
Can observe the wear on the rim to know when to change it IMO.

The old style then I'd run two chains until worn out and then buy two new ones with a new drive sprocket. Then the wear would be "together" and not like matching up a worn gear with a new one (thread or post just recent on the FF about that) or putting on a new tire with a worn one on a dually.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

I run rims about like have been stated by BT and Jiles.  I run chains till the cutters get so short that they may break off if they hit a rock or nail.  Just behind the line that is usually scribed on the top plate by the manufacturer.  Bars I take off and clean about once a week when I am working a saw every day, to dress rails, clean grooves, inspect sprocket tip, and flip the bar over each time I take it off to clean and re true rails.  this gives me even bar wear.  I use a bar till the rails get short enough that I can't very well match up the bar to a new sprocket tip without removing a lot of material from the new tip.  Then it is time for a new bar. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 26, 2015, 04:39:24 PM
You replace sprockets? :D
Well, not any more.  See altered post title but same question just substitute "rim" for "sprocket".  I've been using both of my rim/sprocket saws, probably 6-8 chains each almost kaput, without changing the rims.   Today I ordered a new MS880 and want to use 3 different bar lengths with at least 4 chains each on it.   Feel the need to institute a chain/rim wear management SOP for myself. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

HolmenTree

Todays rim sprockets  have wear indicator marks embedded in them. When the marks are worn off from the chain its time to change it.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 26, 2015, 04:39:24 PM
You replace rims? :D

I was just teasing you about changing the drive sprocket/rim, as in "changing the rim, what's that mean?" :) Few people do, in my experience. I am probably guilty of not doing it often enough.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Don't worry about it so much, rim sprocket will last quite awhile.  Some folks like to change up their rims with one that have different # of "pins" to gain either speed or torque.  Just look at what a new one looks like, and then judge accordingly the old one.  It's not a bad idea to have a spare handy, so you can compare with that one.  The chain will make grooves in it.  I guess it could make sense to not run an old chain with a new sprocket, but I've never really gave it much thought, chains aren't cheap and I like to use em til the cutters are small
Boy, back in my day..

JohnG28

When they wear a bit into the rim I usually replace them. It usually takes a while with what I do but I don't cut much. If it's questionable then replace. They're pretty cheap anyways.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!