iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you open and saw this one?

Started by kelLOGg, January 26, 2015, 07:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I estimate it about 28" max diameter and the customer wants 5/4 boards plain sawn. I think that is too thin given all the knots. Would you level on the pith or geometric center? It is pin oak.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

I would say open with the best face on the bed so that you cut the best face parallel to the bark.  However, that log does not have a best face  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

AnthonyW

I am by far an expert (<100hrs milling). First, I would warn the customer that several of the branch show rot (see picture 1 x2, picture 5 x1). If the decision is to go for it, I would align the check in picture 4 parallel to the blade and level by the pith.

For the experts, how did I do?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Chuck White

I would let the customer know my concerns with the log, and then give him exactly what he wants.

I also think I would cut in consideration of the end-check in the 4th pic!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

WellandportRob

I would cut it every 16" and then split it into firewood.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

scsmith42

Bob, if you orientate it the same way as your third photo it appears that the bulk of the defects will be along the edge of the board.

Personally I would mill it heart center so as to keep the defects relatively equicanter on the cant.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Square the cant so that the pith check on the butt end will be parallel to the sawmill bed.  You want the pith on the top end the same distance from the bed as that butt pith check.   That should contain the pith check within probably 3 center boards.

Yes, the lumber will be fairly poor quality, due to the limbs/knots.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AnthonyW

Quote from: WellandportRob on January 26, 2015, 07:57:13 AM
I would cut it every 16" and then split it into firewood.

That's why I call my sawmill a 24 foot long log splitter that makes lumber. I roll the dice on every log. I start by trying to make 1x. If it isn't good enough for 1x then I try for 2x (either cutting 2" or 4" thick). If that fails I cut the whole log into 2x slabs and add it the slab pile for firewood for my father. :D The only waste my sawmill makes is sawdust.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

beenthere

Good answers.
"specially" the firewood lengths first.  :D
But I'd just live saw it from the top down to near the center, then flip it over 180 and live saw it down to the dog board.
Maybe the customer just wants to see the knot patterns that develop and will make $300 projects out of the "boards" that he gets.

You can "Oooo" and "Ahhhh" and say "Wow!! " after each cut when the board comes off and he may think he has a real prize.  Never know...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Never know..........

Until it dries. 

Then you know  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kelLOGg

I loaded it on the mill today ala Anthony's suggestion. Actually, that was the only orientation over which the sawhead would pass w/o a lot of chainsaw work. I won't be able to get to saw it until Thursday but it is leveled and ready to go.
Bob

DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

coppolajc10

I like your mill setup. Your snow looks like sawdust, mine just looks like snow. Good luck with your log, Jake.

RayMO

My experience with those type of pin oaks/water oaks is cut thick or cut fire wood . Blocking and fire wood are all they are good for in my area .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

JB Griffin

Ain't that the truth Ray, I cut some water oaks that had been pushed over with a track hoe, haven't sawed them yet but already dreading it, lots of shake and some rot and quite a bit of black water poured out of em. :D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hit me in the head with a hammer and call me a crazy goat.....but I have put a bunch of logs like that on the burn pile.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Sawing that log does not make it a "saw log".  It makes it a log that got sawed.  The lumber will be questionable at best.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

Dang - the waiting is gonna kill me.
Will it be firewood that got milled . . . or will it be $300 slabs with many Oooohs and Aaaahhhs?
Kellog - - Thursday is going to be 'pregnant with suspense'. (Old Saying)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

I plan to be at the Cabin and will miss all of the excitement.   ;D

dgdrls

Very curious to see how it saws. With the Lucas I would pith center with the check aligned vertical with the blade.

DGDrls

scully

God hates a coward ! But yeh check horizontal to the deck worst side up .
I bleed orange  .

5quarter

Bob...If you make 5/4 boards out of that it will blow itself apart. I have tried on 2 separate pin oaks and wound up with half a dozen useable boards. It looks really cool coming off the saw, but it gets progressively worse as it dries. I did however have better luck with 10/4 wide planks. once they reach EMC, they can then be resawn 6/4, 7/4 or perhaps 8/4 if your really lucky. If you do saw wide, make sure your blade is deadly sharp. From the looks of it, your blade will be sawing through face grain, edge grain and end grain in nearly every board. Pin oak is harder than most white Oaks, which just adds another level difficulty, esp if you're sawing wide. for myself, I will usually saw whatever the customer wants me to, but in your case, I would put my foot down. your reputation goes out the door with every stick of lumber you saw.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

kelLOGg

Quote from: coppolajc10 on January 26, 2015, 05:59:55 PM
I like your mill setup. Your snow looks like sawdust, mine just looks like snow. Good luck with your log, Jake.

It snows like crazy when I saw - any time of the year. ;D

kelLOGg

5Q, I told the customer that I thought 5/4 would be too thin but in the end it is his call. We'll see if he holds to that after all the FF opinions (and mine). He is a great guy for whom I have sawn many times so if the lumber turns to splinters after drying he won't get tied in a knot - after all I have 5 more clear logs of his next on the rollway. I wish it was Thursday.
Bob

Thank You Sponsors!