iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch swap

Started by Upnorth, January 25, 2015, 09:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upnorth

I have a Timberjack 240E (believe it may be a 1984 model, first 2 digits of the serial number are 84, seems about right). Anyways, has a Gearmatic winch. I've went through it, replaced brake bands, etc, and anything else that was out of spec. If I run it often it's fine, but it doesn't like to sit still for long before it becomes very difficult to free spool.

My question is, anyone ever swap out a Gearmatic for a Hercules? The Herc on my 205 was incredible, and the Gearmatic is a source of constant grief. The skidder is in excellent shape with good tires and new chains, but the winch makes me curse. I have a line on a Hercules, just curios if it could be converted without a major fabrication project.

Thanks fellas!

NWE
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

RunningRoot

From what I understand the controls are different from the gearmatic. I myself just looked into a  Hercules winch to convert from my model 9 but I had no luck on finding the Hercules.
If you do convert to Hercules I'd be happy to compensate you well for your gearmatic 19, I'm in the process of changing the ring & pinion in my model 9. I wish I knew where a Hercules was at a fair price as I would do the same thing you're considering..

Good luck and keep us updated
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

Upnorth

Hi RunningRoot,

If I could swap to the Herc I would part with my 19 for whatever it would cost to install the Herc. Apparently the guy who owned the 240 before me invested $8000 just a couple years ago on this winch. It looks like new, just frustrating as I don't use it enough. The power of it is unreal, just the free spool part is what I find so frustrating.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Maine logger88

I have seen 240s with Herc/Eaton winches on them you would need the valves off a machine with the Eaton winch to make it work
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

RunningRoot

Not sure what he could've done , as I can get 2 completely rebuilt model 19's for that kinda money...
From what I understand the Hurc, would be a definite improvement. the model 19's are finicky but once you get the hang of them and as long as you use them enough there a decent which..
Parts availability is my biggest motivation as there are parts available for the gearmatic 19's everywhere, model 9's absolutely nowhere,lol.

I was going to replace my model 9 with the model 19 but the closest model 19 to me "fairly priced" was 13 hours away. Sure I could get one closer , but I'm a bit of a tight ass LOL
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

coxy

does it only free spool hard after sitting or does it do it often  mine on the old 300 skid king would free spool hard after letting it set  for weeks or months    some times you would have to hook to some thing to free spool it I took out some of the shims  1-2 that was behind the gland with the 4 allen bolts  it has sat for 4 months  winch  break slipped on the first 3 trees and after that it was good to go  may be worth a try  the herc/eaton winches are nice but that brass gear is big money

so il logger

I had a problem with my model 9 doing this. May not be your problem but my  brake band was hanging up on the side cover. I made a gasket for the clutch/brake cover and problem solved. I also covered my winch with a tarp at the end of every day. Like i said it may not be the problem because mine was a 9

Polish Hammer

I have the same machine. I just backed off my break bands a little and that solved the problem.
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

coxy

if you read the repair  book on the 19 -119 they say the cover gasket  is a shim      I have always used sillycone  ;D

coxy

Quote from: Polish Hammer on January 25, 2015, 11:35:41 PM
I have the same machine. I just backed off my break bands a little and that solved the problem.
how do you back off the brake bands on a 19-119  ??? ???

so il logger

Beats the heck outta me unless hes refferring to the allen screw on top for the backlash adjustment? I used sillycone as well but that problem arose and I made a gasket and it worked for mine. Who knows them gearmatics are a mysterious beast. Once theyre right they are good. Rest of the time they get cussed

Polish Hammer

Lol I will put up the recommended procedure from the service manual for you in the am. 👍
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

coxy

Quote from: so il logger on January 25, 2015, 11:44:28 PM
Beats the heck outta me unless hes refferring to the allen screw on top for the backlash adjustment? I used sillycone as well but that problem arose and I made a gasket and it worked for mine. Who knows them gearmatics are a mysterious beast. Once theyre right they are good. Rest of the time they get cussed
I hear ya on the cussing part :D :D mine has names that I cant even say right if im not mad  :laugh:

so il logger

My old c4d always had winch problems for the first few months i owned it. The bad thing was i had to take off the winch mount plate to access the clutch side. Big pain. I used 6 hacksaw blades to set my clutches that worked best for that part. It got called all sorts of things :D it probably felt like a red headed stepchild :D

Polish Hammer

Quote from: coxy on January 25, 2015, 11:40:02 PM
Quote from: Polish Hammer on January 25, 2015, 11:35:41 PM
how do you back off the brake bands on a 19-119  ??? ???

Like this

so il logger

HAHA like I said. Thats the backlash adjustment. May be the problem but may  not. Gearmatics are a pain to get right

so il logger

There's no adjustment on the brake bands Polish Hammer there's just drag adjustment or backlash adjustment.

coxy

though I was going to learn something new about them junkmatics  :D :D :D I have about 25years of reading them books how to fix them some day I just may learn some thing from them  ;D ;D

longtime lurker

The only winch I've ever used thats better then a Gearmatic 19 is a Clark... provided of course the 19 is actually being co-operative which as all of us who live them know can be an issue.

Make sure its a Gearmatic 19. 19's are a sealed winch and were normal fitment on a dozer. 119's are an unsealed winch and were standard fitment on a lot of skidders, though why anyone would spec that is one of them "obviously never had to live with it" manufacturing decisions. I got lucky in that mine had 19's but given the 300" rainfall we get thats probably understandable.

I find with a 19 that when the machines not working if I just take it down and tie it to a tree, run forward and winch it back once a month I have no issues at all. The only 119 I had anything to do with could lock up over the weekend it seemed - so for the sake of a handfull of seals and a couple breathers it might be a cheaper fix then fitting another winch.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Polish Hammer

What do you think your adjusting? The brake band........ To set the free Spool. Am I missing something? The service manual states in the description above to adjust the BAND with adjusting screw. This is how I set my drag for free spool many times.

so il logger

From my experience with the gearmatic I never seen much change in the free spool from the small amount of adjustment that is available through the allen screw for drag adjustment. But if its not froze up like most of them little screws are. Then give it a shot... polish hammer believes in it so maybe he's onto something ??? ???

coxy

Quote from: Polish Hammer on January 26, 2015, 08:21:11 AM
What do you think your adjusting? The brake band........ To set the free Spool. Am I missing something? The service manual states in the description above to adjust the BAND with adjusting screw. This is how I set my drag for free spool many times.
you said brake band  not free spool or drag adjustment  there is a difference  :D :D

so il logger

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Polish Hammer

Lol that's where I got my manual 4 years ago. Don't knock it till you try it boys.

Thank You Sponsors!