iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How far will you travel?

Started by homesteader1972, January 25, 2015, 08:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesteader1972

Hello All,
I am sure this has been asked many times before, but I am not on here alot, so please humor me. I also know its a matter of preference, but how many miles will you mobile fellows go for a saw job. I am starting to pick up a few more, but some are getting further out. Just curious how far you all will go.

Thanks much!
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

hunz

Me personally I'd drive an hour and a half for at leaat 2 day job. One day jobs stay within an hour
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Magicman

I traveled 169 miles one way last week.  I have done many in the 100-150 mile range and my furthest was a wee bit over 200 miles.  The customer furnishes lodging and generally lunch.  I charge the same sawing rate as well as the same travel & setup rate as local sawing.  I guess that you could say that I have no limit.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom the Sawyer

My 'advertised' range is a 50 miles radius from my home but I have gone a little over 80 miles one-way.  Have had inquiries which would have required an overnight stay but none has materialized.  My mobile appointments include a 'per mile' charge so farther travels would require more volume in order to be economically feasible. 

There are no active, portable sawmills in some directions for at least 100 miles so I am often the closest they could find (having a website helps them find me).
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Chuck White

The furthest I've traveled is 28 miles and my limit is 30.

I normally do sawjobs close to home, with 8-10 miles!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bluffman2

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2015, 09:05:03 PM
I traveled 169 miles one way last week.  I have done many in the 100-150 mile range and my furthest was a wee bit over 200 miles.  The customer furnishes lodging and generally lunch.  I charge the same sawing rate as well as the same travel & setup rate as local sawing.  I guess that you could say that I have no limit.

sounds like you were at my place last week  8)  delivered the lumber and Major said you had it perfect for his taste!

Magicman

:)  I called Major this AM about drying some Red Oak for another customer.  He said that he might be able to push yours out another ½".   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2015, 09:05:03 PM

I couldn't even travel 200 miles and stay in state. Well, maybe if I took a ferry to Nantucket, or something. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

reubenT

I went 600 mi for one job.   about 200 for a couple others. But those were not small jobs.   A week for the shortest one,   a month on each of the other 2.   brought a farm tractor home from the 600 mile job,  part of my pay.  Most of the portable jobs were within 40 miles.    But that's history now.  I quit traveling with the saw. 

Thank You Sponsors!