iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (to me) planer

Started by Ocklawahaboy, January 25, 2015, 05:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

Did a little reading about these on the forum.  Learned they could be had cheap but I didn't really see what cheap was.  This one his a local want ads but didn't show up on CL.  Fiddled around for a few days and finally went and looked at it.  Tried to talk the guy down but ended up giving him $300 for it.  Could have had one of Poston's slabs for the same price but I settled for the planer.  Don't know if that's a good deal or not but it worked for my wallet. 

One extra set of planer knives but no molding knives.  About 20' of 220 extension cord which will really help me since my only 220 outlet isn't really where I want to have the unit sit.    It looks to be in good, clean shape.  The infeed table seems to be a bit home made and I am going to have to modify it if I am going to use the ripping attachment, as the table only has one cutout and would render the circular sawblade stationary instead of adjustable. 

It also seems to lack any kind of thickness scale, which I am used to having.  I am getting ready to start planing all of the wood for my man cave remodel so I was afraid my little ryobi wasn't going to be up to the volume.  I'm hoping this will work much better. 

I also read on here that I could potentially change out the head with a sanding head from a woodmaster? I would be interested in that if I ever try to tackle the tree cookie that my wife wants.  Ive heard that planers will chew end grade up pretty bad. 

Swatson

Sounds like a decent deal to me.  How wide can it plane?  Looks like maybe 15"? 
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Dan_Shade

power planing end grain is dangerous.  power sanding its a better option. 

what is the manufacturer?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ocklawahaboy

It's a foley belsaw mod 985.  It's only 12.75" wide.  I rarely get logs that give me wider boards than that. 

Kipper

I have two of them and they are just about bulletproof. Be sure to get a set of magnetic knife setting jigs so installing new knifes will be a breeze. Parts are still available through Belsaw. What size motor does yours have?
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

Just Me

For $300 you made a great deal. I'd have bought it for rough stock for that much just to save on Tersa knives.

Larry

Ocklawahaboy

Kipper, it has the 5hp 220/2 motor. 

I've had trouble finding info on a sanding drum for it. Anyone have ideas?

I'm looking forward to firing it up this weekend.

Kipper

Here is a link to it and other accessories they offer. If you try to call them you will usually have to leave a message but they are good about calling back.

http://www.belsaw.com/acc.htm#4500540
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Kipper on January 27, 2015, 01:35:43 PM
Here is a link to it and other accessories they offer. If you try to call them you will usually have to leave a message but they are good about calling back.

http://www.belsaw.com/acc.htm#4500540
Many thanks.  I had scoured that website and missed it. 

Corley5

http://www.woodmastertools.com/  They still make them but call them Woodmasters now  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

yukon cornelius

That is an awesome find! id love to hear how it is working for you! I need one of those suckers!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Ocklawahaboy

I'm ashamed to say that it is still in the truck.  Well wrapped up of course.  I haven't wrangled someone to help me move it yet.  I also have to shovel sawdust before I can roll it into place.  I hope to make shavings this weekend. 

Kipper

They are heavy !! I usually move mine around with the forks on the tractor or a floor jack.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

Thank You Sponsors!