iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wheel barrow handles?

Started by wildbill, January 25, 2015, 04:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildbill

Broke a handle today.  The wheel barrow has a couple more years life left in it I think.  I'm going to make new handles but not sure what to use.  I have PT 2x4's, white oak, slash pine, poplar, walnut, maple and a little pecan. 

I'm not going for the prettiest handles so maple and walnut are out.  Dunno if poplar will hold up to the stress.

What do you think?
Raider Bill's favorite son

Chuck White

The Poplar would be plenty strong for the job, but won't take the weather so well if left outside.

I'll suggest the White Oak!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

White oak for sure.

Mine are 1¾ square, x 5' long. Only the grip area is turned round.  Bought that wheelbarrow spring of 1965. Same handles.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

terrifictimbersllc

White oak, heartwood. Someday you can save the handles before the rest goes to the dump.  :) :) :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

red oaks lumber

beenthere
you must not use the barrow much. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

:D

I use it daily in the winter time, and keep it doing many jobs during the summer too.
Many a load of concrete mix have been peddled in that barrow.

Don't see what there is to wear out a handle, other than leaving it out in the weather or flipped over with the handles on the ground. 

Handles are plenty strong for anything that will fit into this barrow. It's a TrueTemper 6 cuft. barrow.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

landscraper

"Bought that wheelbarrow spring of 1965. Same handles."

If I'd been using the same wheelbarrow to carry concrete since 1965 several things besides the handles would be worn out :D

We use wheelbarrows almost daily in the summertime, and at least weekly during the winter to mix and carry concrete and mortar, or dirt and gravel.  I did a job last summer moving 80 tons of dirt in wheelbarrows (limited access).  The tubs usually give out before the handles, in either case it is usually a year or so.  Jackson, ames, kobalt, tru-temper.  whichever brand (although jackson is pretty good).  Poly tubs crack, metal tubs bend or rust or flex and crack at the handle-to-tub bolts.  I've poured entire foundations with no truck access using only wheelbarrows many, many times, wheelbarrows take a beating.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What ever you make them out of, make sure they fit Raider Bill's hands.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

white oak. I've got a 'barrrow in need of handles. All I have on hand is some 2" elm. Should be strong enough. Will just have to keep them under cover.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red oaks lumber

my barrows be come junk in less than 2 yrs. get tired of replacing bearings, fixing tires  :) i make my handles from white oak
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

wildbill

Put a solid tire on it last year.  Starting to get rust pin holes in the bottom.

Looks like white oak it is.  Hopefully I can make the handles tomorrow.  I have about 10 more yards of mulch to move.

sawguy21

I picked up a stout contractor barrow with broken handles off the highway. I was going to make them but couldn't for what they cost at the hardware store.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Look to be less than $15 each at Lowes or HD.
south central Wisconsin

wildbill

For $30 i end up with handles just like I have now.  Plus the white oak in going to use was an old bed frame a friend got rid of

I look at my time differently than most.  Unless I am at work my time has no monetary value.  I would rather spend a couple evenings making handlesthat won't cost me anything other than electricity then have them cost real money.  Plus I enjoy simple, useful projects.

Don_Papenburg

My wheel barrow is older than I am . I got it from my dad who got it from an old farm he rented .  the handles were baad when he got it but we used it a lot as it was. When I got it they were cracked and weak needed a lot of duct tape but atlast they gave out with a large load of dirt .  That was in the early 70s  . All I had on hand was SPF 2x4s so I made the handles out of 2xs .  The barrow is a bit leaky  but it has never had a flat tire.  That steel tire will last longer than I will and the cast iron hub will outlast the cheap ball bearings on the new barrows . 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

wildbill

Couple hours after work and they are done.  Not pretty, but they will work hopefully for a few more years. 

Thanks for the advise

samandothers

Your wheelbarrow sounds like mine. Came to me with metal spoke wheel. The bucket is folded steel versus stamped. On my second handle replacement.

Thank You Sponsors!