iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red cedar Recipe Box

Started by Planman1954, January 25, 2015, 11:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

On the last trip to my daughters home, she requested a cedar recipe box for her 4"x6" recipe cards. She told me that she had been online looking, and some cost almost $100.00! I thought it would be a quick and easy project. After three days of thinking and clamping, this is the result:

As I was thinking about some way to keep the hinged top from flopping down backwards when open, I thought about placing a small piece of wood on the backside to hold it open. Then the light came on! How about a little place to hold the card for viewing? Combining the two worked great! So that is what you are seeing on the back of the top...a stop block to hold the top when the box is open, and a card holder for when the top is shut. She was happy with it, and today is her birthday! Happy birthday Sarah!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Happy Birthday Sarah. A VERY nice gift indeed.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Andy White

Planman1954,
Another multitalented forum member! She will like that box more than anything you could have bought. Cedar is awesome. What is the finish?  The stop/holder is a great touch.   8) 8) 8)     Andy
;D ;D ;D This is my LIKE button!
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Planman1954

Thanks Andy. It's just a clear lacquer finish. BTW, the red cedar was some left over from the posts I cut for my nephew Heaths camp that I posted on a while back. I have a good number remaining to use for projects.

sandhills

Now that's just nifty!  I wonder what one with that much thought would sell for, very nice Planman.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Now that is a mighty fine Recipe Box!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jueston

that's a great design, i've seen some that prevent the top from falling open with a little chain, and then a lip on the inside of the lid holds the card, but i like yours better.

lowpolyjoe

DeerMeadowFarm

Nice work and a clever design!

Planman1954

Thanks for the compliments fellers. I just wanted to post it, since I like to see projects made by other members, and it was my turn!
As to why I didn't use a chain to hold the lid...I thought about that, but did not want the interference with the cards inside, which have a 1/2" high indexing system that would be smushed with a loose chain. That's the reason I did the stop block/card holder. I told you I put some thought into the little problem child!

tule peak timber

Looking good . a family "hand me down" that grand dad made..... 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Lud

I like solving those puzzles too.  Seems it's best to mull it over for a day or more so your unconscious mind gets to put it's 2 cents in!   It's an efficient, elegant solution you've come up with. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

yukon cornelius

I like to figure that stuff out also. I don't like to just do what everybody else does. I like to use my own ideas.
That is a really nice recipe holder!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!