iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

79 years old

Started by lyle niemi, January 24, 2015, 07:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

The fella Im getting logs from is 79, he has been giving me a hand harvesting trees off his land and there is no stopping him. I am very impressed with the work he can do at his age, he would put most young people to shame including me ! I doubt I will even live that long never mind running a chainsaw harvesting trees

mad murdock

that is cool!  I hope i am still able to do some logging when I get there! 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Verticaltrx

My grandfather used to help us cut wood  up into his 80's, he'd still run both the old 024 Stihl and the 041, which is not a light saw.

I think the key to staying in good shape is to never quit what your doing. Sure you may not have to work a job anymore, but having a routine, getting outside and doing something is what keeps folks going. 
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

pineywoods

Don't under estimate us old farts  ::) Dad always told me "If you quit working and go sit on the porch, the grim reaper will slip up behind you and getcha..He was right about that and a lot of other things.  ;D I do a bit of logging, firewood, run a sawmill, woodworking, metal fab, fix stuff for the neighbors, keep up a 3 acre yard and take care of a disabled wife. About the only thing I do notice is  I don't recover from stuff like colds, flu, etc as quick as I once did. We do hire out the housekeeping, I just don't have time...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mikeb1079

there's a couple of old timers around here that could probably give us youngsters a run for our money.   ;) :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

chance33

And those shin bruises from delimbing  are a real curse for me for the last 2-3 years. Cut 11 cords of firewood and milled 12K BF of cherry, pine and hemlock last year. Can't wait for snow to stop so we can get an early start this year.
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

barbender

Piney, I'm glad to see you have sense enough to hire some stuff out ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Just keep on keepin' on!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Are you pointing at me??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rooster 58

Hey Goat,
        You can run but you can't hide

bandmiller2

The human body thrives on a schedule, just like cows, go to bed same time wake the same time eat at the same time. If you went out each morning, all your life, and shoveled the spreader full of poop you would be able to do it late into your years. Exersize and a schedule you body doesn't realize its old, well sometimes a few pains and stiffness. You mind has much to do with  your ability to work, have projects keep going and stay ahead of the reaper. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

flatrock58

I have been on a couple of mission trips with our church with an older gentleman who just turned 90.  I am 56 and he can keep up with me all day long working on anything from roofing to hanging sheet rock, to framing.  He recently bought a house which he is remodeling and has gutted it and replaced the siding, flooring cabinets and windows.  I hope I can still walk by the time I am his age, if I live that long!!!
I guess you have to just stay busy every day and don't sit still.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

pineywoods

Quote from: barbender on January 24, 2015, 11:27:08 PM
Piney, I'm glad to see you have sense enough to hire some stuff out ;D
I'd like to think so, but that's really not the case. I tried doing the housework, but the wife didn't like some of my ways of doing things. Hire it out to keep peace in the house... ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

barbender

Well, it might have been a different way of arriving there than I thought, but I stand by my original statement ;)
Too many irons in the fire

crowhill

At 83 my Dad called me stating an issue with his chainsaw, couldn't get pull cord to move. Walked over to check, asked if his chain brake was on. Nope, couldn't pull it back he said. I picked up the saw and pulled the chain brake handle, it had been locked. Couple weeks later same thing. He said he didn't like it working that hard. Told him it was a safety device so when you are to the point in the day that you can't pull it back it's time to take a break. A laugh for both of us! His last cruise thru the woodlot was 9 months later seeking more logs, he passed 3 months later at 84.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

buzywoodliff

I'm going to turn 50 this July and some days feel it.... You guys are certainly an inspiration!!

Thank you and bless you all. :)

petefrom bearswamp

So far so good in my life.
Can do everything I used to but takes somewhat longer.
Don't underestimate any old fart.
Cheers to all of us over 70 who are still at it.
I plan to go till I tip over.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

shortlogger

My great granny was was 112 when she pased away she mowed her own yard and grew a garden until she was 109 so you never know how long you'll last so you just gotta keep on keeping on I guess
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Papa1stuff

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 01, 2015, 09:19:55 AM
So far so good in my life.
Can do everything I used to but takes somewhat longer.
Don't underestimate any old fart.
Cheers to all of us over 70 who are still at it.
I plan to go till I tip over.
Well said I work everyday even on the weekends ,just not long days anymore ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

kensfarm

It would be nice if you could just order an over-haul kit and keep going..  knee's, elbows, & back kit's would be on order.   ;D  Even w/out an injury.. manual labor takes a toll on the body over the years. 

papow22

:D You young fellas that are coming into your 30 to 50's well age starts 70's that what my grandfather said to me when i turn 35 he was 70 when i showed him how operate a power saw a 266 Husqvarna,:D  and I had a heck of time to get back from.It was easier to handle than the axe or swede saw. :D. Well now I'm pushing 60 + and I'm not going stop driving or working till the grim reaper catches me  smiley_horserider  so i just keep on logging and working cause WELFARE is not for me  :D .When I stop working they plant dirt and daisies on me.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Thank You Sponsors!