iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A couple of pistol boxes

Started by Wisconsintimber, January 24, 2015, 10:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsintimber

Here are a couple of simple cherry pistol boxes that we gave to relatives for Chrismas.  I was planning a different design with dovetail joints, but time and patience was running short so this is what we settled on.

I wanted to try some dovetail joints with a sled/jig on the tablesaw but the results were scetchy.  Has anyone else tried a dovetail sled on a tablesaw?

Bill Gaiche

samandothers

The dowels or screws with plugs look good!   

I have not tried dove tail jig on table saw.

Andy White

Wisconsintimber,
I actually built a sled for dovetails, and it worked really well. My results were not the best due to the need for a rip blade to cut square bottoms. Build it with the angle you want, and cut a wedge to use to gauge the blade tilt for the tails.

This was the first and only set I cut that day, and as you use it the results really improve. :) 8)    Andy
By the way, Those are some nice boxes!!!!!
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

lowpolyjoe

Nice looking work.  Don't leave us in suspense - is it dowels or plugs over screws?  :)

I like that tablesaw jig, Andy 

Wisconsintimber

Thanks guys.  I confess they are plugs over screws... 

Andy, My sled is similar to yours with the angles on one side and ramps or wedges on the other.  Good point about the rip blade making a square cut in the bottom.  That was part of my problem.  I did a couple of test joints on some pine that turned out a tad loose, but thought I could take more time and make them better for the finished product...got too impatient :(  I think with time it could work.

samandothers

Man, was not trying to cast judgment or anything on the jointery.  I was just saying either way it looks good! ::)

Thank You Sponsors!