iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ225 with Detroit 353 running a bit ratty?

Started by ForestFox, January 24, 2015, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestFox

Hello All, Looking for some advice on whether I have a problem or not with my 1965 TJ225 with a 353 in it. Under full load and full throttle it seems to be "breaking up slightly, sort of like the break tone on a chainsaw. I am going to try changing the fuel filter and seeing if my oil bath air cleaner needs attending to. Just wondering if I am on the right tract or should look elsewhere. The motor idles great, starts easily and runs at mid throttle great too. Any help would be much appreciated! STAY SAFE!
TJ225,MF481 wLoader, JD792, MF1080, Husky 2100's,285XP,576XP,261,

Mooseknuckle

Hey there Forestfox, welcome to the forum! There are lots of guys here that will help you out.   I'm new to this as well so I'm not sure whats going on with that 353.   I was wondering if you could post a few pictures if that TJ on the forum.  I have a TJ230 1965 with a 353, controls on the right side of the operator. Im curious to see what your looks like. 

Moose
Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

OntarioAl

ForestFox
Sounds like fuel starvation at full throttle. It may be the filters but it may also (as in my case) be a bit of crud floating around in your fuel tank that gets sucked into the fitting in the tank restricting the fuel flow. Blasting compressed air back through the fuel line usually dislodges it. Draining the tank and sucking out the accumulated crud helps the situation from recurring.
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

tantoy

Agreed, sounds like fuel. Filters first. Lots of other easy things to try after that. I have pulled fuel pump and used a 3/8 square socket adapter in my cordless drill to drive pump. Disconnect fuel return line, run drill and see how its flowing.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Maine logger88

I agree with al there isa little elbow coming out of the tank that debree gets caught in I'd say change filters blow back through the line and see how that works. My 225 has quite abit of junk in the tank and if it gets low on fuel it will Suck it in And have the same issue
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ForestFox

Thank you all for the advice. I will work on that tomorrow. Beautiful day out today so am bucking up wood for next winter. I will try and get some pics of machine up tonight for the curious. I appreciate the good advice and hope I can be of help to others down the line.

so il logger

My 225 has done this exact thing. I would be very surprised if it is something other than the brass fitting on the fuel tank plugged up. I have a bad habit of checking fuel level with a stick. Bark and debris falls into tank and seems every year I hafta clean that little fitting. But like everyone said it could be fuel filters.  :)

ga jones

It's probably not filters it's the fuel pump sucking air. The shaft seal goes bad in them. Common problem.40.00 bucks to rebuild them here.the best way to check for sure there's no holes in the supply line is to run a rubber fuel hose from a fuel can to the inlet  on the pump. And to isolate the filter housing is run a hose from the pump the inlet on the head. U can also eliminate the cross tubes on the rack by running a clear plastic fuel hose from the pump to the head. Rev the engine full throttle and let off. U will see bubbles in the line.if not and it still breaking up. Check the cross over tubes.they crack.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Maine logger88

That could be ga but I would try filters and blowing back through first cause I've had that happen several times with mine

ga jones

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

whitepine2

Also could be ice in bottom of tank just letting enough fuel pass
this would act as if plugged line.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on January 24, 2015, 03:17:20 PM
It's probably not filters it's the fuel pump sucking air. The shaft seal goes bad in them. Common problem.40.00 bucks to rebuild them here.the best way to check for sure there's no holes in the supply line is to run a rubber fuel hose from a fuel can to the inlet  on the pump. And to isolate the filter housing is run a hose from the pump the inlet on the head. U can also eliminate the cross tubes on the rack by running a clear plastic fuel hose from the pump to the head. Rev the engine full throttle and let off. U will see bubbles in the line.if not and it still breaking up. Check the cross over tubes.they crack.
a cracked cross over tube will put fuel in the base making it overfull.

coxy

im going to say bad injector for 100$ alex  :D :D

ForestFox

Thanks everyone for the help, all fixed! Changed fuel filters and blew back through fuel line into tank. Then blew from tank to filters to get air out of line ( more of a wish really) and topped off filters and lit right up, pulled with it today and it runs great, no skips. Cold here in NY so pulled her inside shop and changing winch oil and motor oil next. Thinning out lots of Ironwood for firewood.

so il logger

Good deal glad to hear that fixed it. Stay safe

Maine logger88

OntarioAl

Al Raman

Thank You Sponsors!