iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Determining Heavy Metals in the Environment

Started by SwampDonkey, August 21, 2004, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Schreber's feather moss is an indicator of heavy metal deposition and used in locating heavy metal pollution sources.

Click Here for more info

Its quite common in our old growth cedar stands and I found out just how flamable this moss is in dry spring conditions. No I didn't set the place on fire but a spark flew about 20 feet from a bomb fire and ignited that stuff like ........well , wild fire. ;)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

Indians were known to carry dried moss in small leather bags for firestarters. So, I imagine it goes up well.

sprucebunny

This looks/ sounds similar to "sphagnum moss"??
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

no sphagnum grows in a dense thick carpet on bogs and really wet ground. Its what breaks down/decays and forms peat. It is in different colors: yellow, green, orange, red. Up on the Gaspe, QC and northern NB  there are large peat harvest operations. Peat also forms coal over pressure and eons of time. Shrebers is similar to stairstep moss as the stem is crooked and the carpet is not dense and wet. Another moss associated with this group is feather moss.

Moss VS Peat

Potential Fungal Infection from sphagnum moss

Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Association

Information

The link above suggests it endangered, but I don't think you have to worry, since there are 100's of millions of acres of it in Canada. ;) I only posted it so you can see some pictures of it and its structure.

Stair-step moss  not a very good picture :(

Can't find a decent feather moss picture either.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

VERY interesting!! I've got alot of sphagnum moss -acres...
Another potentialy harmful plant!! Guess I won't be rolling around in that stuff ;D I always wanted to see a peat harvest. I think it's fascinating that over time-lots-, it turns to coal.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!