iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting mobile sawmill business

Started by TroutHunter, January 23, 2015, 08:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroutHunter

Hey there I am new to the forum and am looking for advice for possibly starting a mobile sawmill business.  I have had my eye on this type of business for a couple years now and have done some research as far as others in the area, types of species available, and offering milling as a service.  I am interested in the urban sawmill aspect of the business.  I live in northwest Montana, and this would be a side job type business to help pay for my mill.  I'm in my 30's and have a shift work type career so having a mill would just be for fun! I also have experience with running a LT40hd on and off for the past few years and am thinking of getting my own for my own personal projects.  Any advice would be great! 

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. I say get the mill. I am thinking of what Happycamper said. May he rest in peace. If you get a chance do a search on his post.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

HaroldSiefke

Where at in northwest Montana are you I use to live in Troy and Libby .... Troy being the most new that you can get. Looking at moving back that way if the property is right.. 8) I know there in Troy Chapel cedar does a lot of milling. I miss the area..good place to have a mill. Hal
Harold

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on January 23, 2015, 08:20:04 PM
Welcome to the forum. I say get the mill. I am thinking of what Happycamper said. May he rest in peace. If you get a chance do a search on his post.

x2
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

TroutHunter

Hey thanks guys, I'm wondering if there is other aspects of this mobile sawmill business I need to look at and account for before I jump right in.  I'm thinking about:  working with city's for urban milling, private homeowners with just a few trees, etc.  I have read quite a few articles about small sawmill businesses and it sounds like it feast for famine at times. 

FarmingSawyer

Expect famine during the winter up north for sure..... and as you start, the feasts can be short and quick. But if you love what you do and others do too, then you should do alright.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

WV Sawmiller

Trout,

Welcome. I'm just starting out myself. Just about everything you need to know is here on the forum if you research far enough including business cards, contracts, pricing, insurance, sawing techniques, etc. Be sure you have the support equipment to handle the business. I assume you have an adequate truck to tow the mill but how will you move and turn the logs? In a rural environment you can expect the customer to have a tractor or other equipment but I doubt that is the case in town. Things I'd be concerned about would be how to cut in a confined area and handle close neighbors. How will you avoid or resolve complaints about the noise, sawdust, debris, etc.? Not impossible but I'm sure they will have to be addressed. Good luck. Be careful out there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

slider

I was thinking the same thing about support equipment but that will come in time.Keep your day job,ease your way into it a little at a time and try not to go in debt.Build a customer base and enjoy what you are doing.If you don't have big payments when it gets slow then you can relax.One thing that's most important is to become a good sawyer and charge a fair price.That alone will get you repeat business.Good luck and keep us informed.al
al glenn

TroutHunter

Those are some good questions to think about, I have been involved with milling lumber with minimal equipment and it can be tough!  I have a good truck to pull the mill and a small chainsaw but that's all.  I'm starting from scratch, but that's ok I want to keep this fun and be able to accomplish my own projects as well, build a shop, cabin, etc.  I am thinking of providing more of a service type sawmill business that focuses on urban trees.  Keeping my business model small and payments low.  Anyone out there with that type of one man operation? 

TroutHunter

Quote from: slider on January 24, 2015, 09:30:49 AM
I was thinking the same thing about support equipment but that will come in time.Keep your day job,ease your way into it a little at a time and try not to go in debt.Build a customer base and enjoy what you are doing.If you don't have big payments when it gets slow then you can relax.One thing that's most important is to become a good sawyer and charge a fair price.That alone will get you repeat business.Good luck and keep us informed.al

Thanks for the advice, I enjoy my day job and want to just do sawing for a side business.  I agree to start off slow and become a good sawyer first.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, TroutHunter.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hunz

I say go for it as well. Start off with an older hydraulic mill until you can see how business will go. If things pick up for you and seem steady, then bring on a newer mill and support equipment. Your location is vastly different than mine, but that doesn't mean there isn't just as much opportunity. Good luck!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Joe Hillmann

If you are thinking of doing urban milling you may want to think abut getting a small mill that can be maneuvered into place by hand by one or two people.  That way if you are at a place where equipment isn't available to move the logs to the mill you can move the mill to each log.  Another thing to think about is a log arch for maneuvering logs in tight places or without powered equipment.

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum!    If you like LT 40 hyd. there are several super hydraulic diesel mills for sale now around 20k with low hours. Good luck with your endevor.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

dean herring

GaSawyer, are any of the mills you were talking about for sale any where close to me here in north La. Thanks.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

hunz

Quote from: Gasawyer on January 24, 2015, 06:45:27 PM
Welcome to the forum!    If you like LT 40 hyd. there are several super hydraulic diesel mills for sale now around 20k with low hours. Good luck with your endevor.

I have been hunting a low hour diesel lt-40 super for over 2 months now to no avail in the 20k range. If you do happen to know where I can find the mills you are talking about, please PM me ASAP. I just sold my lt-35 3 days ago, and have jobs lined up that need to be started. Woodmizer in 3 locations said that I am looking for a needle in 1000 haystacks......we'll see
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, TroutHunter.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TroutHunter

Quote from: Magicman on January 24, 2015, 10:06:17 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, TroutHunter.   8)

Thanks, you seem to be on here quite a bit, any advice for starting an urban sawmill service?

Andries

I'm nowhere close to MM's experience and business savy, but here's some initial thinking . . . .
We've been urban tree milling for six years - my son is on the tree service side and I do the milling and marketing.
Some points to consider:
* arborists and tree removal people don't get paid 'tll the job is done and the site is clean.
* being a sawyer/wood milling is perhaps more work related to material handling that actual milling.
* the first two points equal: you may need equipment to remove the downed trees quickly without leaving tire ruts on fancy lawns and find a site that you can do your milling, drying and selling finished product.
* the further you can take your tree to finished product the more money you can make.
We have a small Gehl loader that can take a 2000 lb log from between houses and place them on a logging trailer. The same loader then loads logs on the mill, lifts slabs and stickered lumber off the mill and onto drying racks.
A clever guy on this forum once said:"if I have to choose between hydraulics on a loader or a mill - go with the loader first."

Your avatar photo shows a truck and a river drift boat behind it, no? That's one of my bigger markets - wooden boat material. The builders love air-dried bur oak, it bends very nicely and takes a lot of water to start decaying.
Good luck!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

ohwc

Urban harvesting is a very small market so part time would work. In about 50% of my urban jobs you can not get a band mill in or the log out.

Magicman

I don't know if my business is urban or rural, but it is almost 100% portable.

Business cards.

Set up at your local feed/seed store and saw for a couple of days.  Do more talking than sawing, and give the store owner the lumber.

Do sawing demo's at your county fair, etc.

Website and Facebook.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TroutHunter

Quote from: Andries on January 25, 2015, 12:00:20 AM
I'm nowhere close to MM's experience and business savy, but here's some initial thinking . . . .
We've been urban tree milling for six years - my son is on the tree service side and I do the milling and marketing.
Some points to consider:
* arborists and tree removal people don't get paid 'tll the job is done and the site is clean.
* being a sawyer/wood milling is perhaps more work related to material handling that actual milling.
* the first two points equal: you may need equipment to remove the downed trees quickly without leaving tire ruts on fancy lawns and find a site that you can do your milling, drying and selling finished product.
* the further you can take your tree to finished product the more money you can make.
We have a small Gehl loader that can take a 2000 lb log from between houses and place them on a logging trailer. The same loader then loads logs on the mill, lifts slabs and stickered lumber off the mill and onto drying racks.
A clever guy on this forum once said:"if I have to choose between hydraulics on a loader or a mill - go with the loader first."

Your avatar photo shows a truck and a river drift boat behind it, no? That's one of my bigger markets - wooden boat material. The builders love air-dried bur oak, it bends very nicely and takes a lot of water to start decaying.
Good luck!

I have been thinking that same thing, you really need both loader and hydraulics, thanks for the advice!

TroutHunter

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2015, 09:00:29 AM
I don't know if my business is urban or rural, but it is almost 100% portable.

Business cards.

Set up at your local feed/seed store and saw for a couple of days.  Do more talking than sawing, and give the store owner the lumber.

Do sawing demo's at your county fair, etc.

Website and Facebook.

MM, I would have to do both rural and urban since I live near three small towns and one city of 30,000.  This would be part time for me, I'm thinking sawing two to three days a month for others and when I have time and logs to saw for myself.  I would keep my day job which is shift work so I have a lot of time off at times during the month.  I'm confident in the marketing end, I am mostly wondering if I would be busy enough to make the payment on a mill, I understand a lot of factors are addd in, amount of payment, what I would charge, etc.  I also want to keep this fun since it's part time.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: TroutHunter on January 25, 2015, 11:04:22 AM

I have been thinking that same thing, you really need both loader and hydraulics, thanks for the advice!

If you have a loader you then need a trailer large enough to haul it and then you need to take at least four loaded trips to every job you need the loader and mill for.  Two to get the stuff there and two to get it home.  That isn't such a big deal on larger jobs but on small jobs you may end up spending more time moving equipment than you do sawing.

Magicman

Yup, I could not classify as rural or urban because I never know.  I go to wherever the logs are and I have actually set up on the sidewalk in front of a home.

I just looked at a job this afternoon where I will set up on the butt log, saw it, and move up to each additional log.  Whatever the customer has, I will accommodate him.

TroutHunter

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2015, 06:14:59 PM
Yup, I could not classify as rural or urban because I never know.  I go to wherever the logs are and I have actually set up on the sidewalk in front of a home.

I just looked at a job this afternoon where I will set up on the butt log, saw it, and move up to each additional log.  Whatever the customer has, I will accommodate him.

So to start out with minimal equipment, what about providing a service with just a mill and knowing up front I would have to set up and possibly move the mill a few times to get all the logs cut for the costumer?  It would be more work, but it would be a start, and a smaller market of costumers.

TroutHunter

Really enjoying all the great advice and input from everyone so far!  I have been searching and it seems there is not much competition where I'm at other than a huge commercial mill, a more local mill, and maybe two portable guys at least 20 to 30 miles away,  one I talked to who has a portable but keeps it stationary at his site.  I'm not really seeing anyone out there that's young and into urban renewable sawing.  Am I missing something?  Maybe that it's hard work that nobody wants to do...?

Magicman

I depend upon the customer to provide a tractor if necessary which has never been a problem.

I looked at a job this afternoon.  The customer will fell a 32" dbh Cherrybark Red Oak. I will saw it where it falls, starting with the butt log and moving the mill up to the next log each time.  I have done this many times.

On this job the logs were staged along the customer's driveway.  After sawing a log, I moved the sawmill up to the next log.

Here is another instance where the customer uncovered a huge fallen Pecan tree.  I set up three different times to get it completely sawed.

This was the final setup with the butt log.  Yes, those are poison ivy vines.

I will do whatever it takes to accommodate the customer's needs.

TroutHunter

MM, makes sense!  A little more time in set up, but if you have the room in the area where your cutting it works!  Those look like some nice logs.  In Montana we don't have exotic logs like pecan, etc.  If I sell a service of sawing, what's your thoughts on species of logs? Does it matter as long as the costumer wants them milled?

Tom the Sawyer

Trouthunter,

Well, I'm not young (I'm retired) but I am part-time.  I started my portable milling business 5 years ago.  About 80% of my milling volume is on the road.  Well over half of it is urban lumber... some small jobs but they only way they can get it done. 

I have to be able to set up on their property (around here, milling in the street would be considered "commercial use of public right-of-way" and requires a permitting application and bonding).  I have equipment for moving logs here at home but do not transport it to mobile appointments. 

I almost always conduct a free site visit before scheduling mobile appointments and we discuss where the logs need to be and how they should be staged.  They usually get it done beforehand but, if not, I charge a site/log prep fee and with a couple of cant hooks, a come-along, and maybe a chain hooked to my one ton, we usually get it done.  Never forget - due to safety concerns or logistics, the proper answer may be "No".
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

TroutHunter

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on January 25, 2015, 09:44:15 PM
Trouthunter,

Well, I'm not young (I'm retired) but I am part-time.  I started my portable milling business 5 years ago.  About 80% of my milling volume is on the road.  Well over half of it is urban lumber... some small jobs but they only way they can get it done. 

I have to be able to set up on their property (around here, milling in the street would be considered "commercial use of public right-of-way" and requires a permitting application and bonding).  I have equipment for moving logs here at home but do not transport it to mobile appointments. 

I almost always conduct a free site visit before scheduling mobile appointments and we discuss where the logs need to be and how they should be staged.  They usually get it done beforehand but, if not, I charge a site/log prep fee and with a couple of cant hooks, a come-along, and maybe a chain hooked to my one ton, we usually get it done.  Never forget - due to safety concerns or logistics, the proper answer may be "No".

Thanks Tom!  Lots of good info.  Your business model sounds similar to what I would be capable of carrying out.  I am thinking of keeping it small with low overhead and hopefully low payments.  Do you generally just run your mill, stack and sticker lumber, and stack slabs/waste and the costumer pays for your mill/time?

WV Sawmiller

@Magicman ,

Do you charge extra when you have to move your mill multiple times on a job as shown above or just charge an hourly rate to compensate for the time used moving the mill? I see lots of sawmillers charge a relocation fee every time they have to move after original set up. I assume that is when charging by the bf. Thx.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom the Sawyer

TroutHunter,

Most appointments are by the board foot with the client and/or their helpers off-bearing the lumber.  On the rare occasion that no help is available I switch to my hourly milling rate.  There are times, especially with thicker planks when it takes more than two to pull larger pieces and I'll help as needed. 

I have a safety supply box on the front of my mill and at the beginning of a job I'll show them what is available if they need it (gloves, dust masks, goggles, ear muffs, ear plugs, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, etc.).  Then I'll walk them through the milling process, explaining when, and where, to stand, pull boards, stage logs, slabs, etc..  I may need to grab the first slabs off the opening faces but most of them get the hang of it pretty quick and majority of my time is spent operating the mill.

I can only remember having to relocate my mill on a mobile appointment twice.  From the time I shut down until I am ready to go again (stow, hookup, move, setup) is on the clock at my log/site prep rate (less than my hourly milling rate).  Same rate applies if I am helping setup and level their air-drying stack, stacking, bucking logs to length, etc.  More details on my website.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

TroutHunter

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on January 25, 2015, 11:50:38 PM
TroutHunter,

Most appointments are by the board foot with the client and/or their helpers off-bearing the lumber.  On the rare occasion that no help is available I switch to my hourly milling rate.  There are times, especially with thicker planks when it takes more than two to pull larger pieces and I'll help as needed. 

I have a safety supply box on the front of my mill and at the beginning of a job I'll show them what is available if they need it (gloves, dust masks, goggles, ear muffs, ear plugs, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, etc.).  Then I'll walk them through the milling process, explaining when, and where, to stand, pull boards, stage logs, slabs, etc..  I may need to grab the first slabs off the opening faces but most of them get the hang of it pretty quick and majority of my time is spent operating the mill.

I can only remember having to relocate my mill on a mobile appointment twice.  From the time I shut down until I am ready to go again (stow, hookup, move, setup) is on the clock at my log/site prep rate (less than my hourly milling rate).  Same rate applies if I am helping setup and level their air-drying stack, stacking, bucking logs to length, etc.  More details on my website.

Thanks that's great info! 

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 25, 2015, 10:51:03 PM
@Magicman ,

Do you charge extra when you have to move your mill multiple times on a job as shown above or just charge an hourly rate to compensate for the time used moving the mill? I see lots of sawmillers charge a relocation fee every time they have to move after original set up. I assume that is when charging by the bf. Thx.

I charge the set up fee each time I set up. If I'm hourly then I might flex, but usually the choice to move the mill is because it saves the customer money--my mill set up fee is $10 less than my hourly rate. Skidding logs and monkeying around getting the logs to the mill often costs more than just resetting. I also view the setup fee as a challenge. How quickly can I get the mill set and milling? The less time it takes me, the more organized I am, the more money I make. And if I'm moving slow and it takes me longer to get going first thing at least I've made $35/an hour........

Magicman

Do you charge extra when you have to move your mill multiple times on a job as shown above...
It depends.  On both of the above situations I was sawing hourly rate so the clock was ticking all of the time.

In reality, moving the sawmill only takes about 15 minutes (about $20) and I will not quibble over meeting the customer's needs.

TroutHunter

Quote from: Magicman on January 26, 2015, 08:14:41 AM
   Do you charge extra when you have to move your mill multiple times on a job as shown above...
It depends.  On both of the above situations I was sawing hourly rate so the clock was ticking all of the time.

In reality, moving the sawmill only takes about 15 minutes (about $20) and I will not quibble over meeting the customer's needs.

In this type of business model it seems that if you are willing to do the work for the customer and put in the time you will be profitable.  At times you may have more profitable saw jobs than others, but you will be able to (in my case), make your mill payment.  Small or large jobs, if your smart about them and keep your equipment costs, tools, etc low then it should work out for a new sawyer.  Any thoughts?

Magicman

I make more on some jobs than others which is just the nature of the business.  I'm fair in that I do not have a bunch of different rates for different situations.  I do not charge for sawing stickers when I am edging and I always seem to leave a pile of "cull" lumber that had excessive wane, etc. that I did not scale.  It is also very seldom that the customer does not include a nice tip.

I just finished my year-end bookkeeping today and I did very well in 2014.   ;D

thechknhwk

Quote from: Magicman on February 05, 2015, 05:00:46 PM
I make more on some jobs than others which is just the nature of the business.  I'm fair in that I do not have a bunch of different rates for different situations.  I do not charge for sawing stickers when I am edging and I always seem to leave a pile of "cull" lumber that had excessive wane, etc. that I did not scale.  It is also very seldom that the customer does not include a nice tip.

I just finished my year-end bookkeeping today and I did very well in 2014.   ;D

Oh do tell :-X

Southside

Subscribing - trying to learn all I can with this new addition to the business. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Quote from: thechknhwk on February 06, 2015, 03:59:37 AMOh do tell :-X
Yes, listening to and attending to the customer's needs has it's rewards.  No brag....just a fact.

What goes around, comes around. (old saying)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MAI

Welcome aboard Trouthunter.  Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

learner

Being a portable saw mill I don't know if this would work for you.  But I have deals with the local tree service companies to supply me with urban trees.  They have all the equipment and do all the work.  I pay them a premium price for the good saw logs they bring to me.  This is how I get the logs the logging companies just can't provide.  They can only supply cedar, pine and oak.  At $1200 to $1600 a load that adds up fast.  If its a premium quality log then the tree service gives the homeowner or city a discount for dropping and removing the log because they know they will get paid for the log rather than having the expense of disposing of it.  You WILL need to invest in a good metal detector though!  Those city and yard logs just LOVE to collect nails and screws!  If you have the room these boards will really help supplement what you make.  You can also make a deal with the surrounding towns to take the logs rather than them having to dispose of them.  This may sound bad but it really works out for everyone when storms drop a lot of in town trees that the city has to remove.  One thing I have to stress is let your customers know that you do custom sawing.  If they want 1/2 inch knotty pine for wall siding, they CAN'T get that at a lumber yard.  I just sold $280 dollars of red cedar cut at 1/2 x 3 and 3/4 x 3 for use in a craft shop.  They CAN"T get that at a lumber yard.  There are many portable sawyers here that can tell you what you need to survive as a portable mill be it hobby wise or as a business.  I wish you luck!
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

TroutHunter

Quote from: learner on February 09, 2015, 08:03:02 PM
Being a portable saw mill I don't know if this would work for you.  But I have deals with the local tree service companies to supply me with urban trees.  They have all the equipment and do all the work.  I pay them a premium price for the good saw logs they bring to me.  This is how I get the logs the logging companies just can't provide.  They can only supply cedar, pine and oak.  At $1200 to $1600 a load that adds up fast.  If its a premium quality log then the tree service gives the homeowner or city a discount for dropping and removing the log because they know they will get paid for the log rather than having the expense of disposing of it.  You WILL need to invest in a good metal detector though!  Those city and yard logs just LOVE to collect nails and screws!  If you have the room these boards will really help supplement what you make.  You can also make a deal with the surrounding towns to take the logs rather than them having to dispose of them.  This may sound bad but it really works out for everyone when storms drop a lot of in town trees that the city has to remove.  One thing I have to stress is let your customers know that you do custom sawing.  If they want 1/2 inch knotty pine for wall siding, they CAN'T get that at a lumber yard.  I just sold $280 dollars of red cedar cut at 1/2 x 3 and 3/4 x 3 for use in a craft shop.  They CAN"T get that at a lumber yard.  There are many portable sawyers here that can tell you what you need to survive as a portable mill be it hobby wise or as a business.  I wish you luck!

Hey thanks that is some great info!  I have been looking into getting involved with city's and tree services in my area to see if that would work for me.  I like the idea of urban trees and making that my niche market, but open to others as well.  Here in Montana there seem to be big and small lumber mills and a few portable guys around, it might be tough getting in on the municipalities with smaller towns and cities near my location, might have to travel.   

I also have a career job so I am not making sawing my first income.  Just want to do sawing 3-4 days a month and keep it fun!

TroutHunter

Quote from: MAI on February 09, 2015, 12:44:11 PM
Welcome aboard Trouthunter.  Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Thanks!  I will, I would like to look into an insurance quote for a mill. 

MAI

When you're ready, I'm ready.  Please let me know when would be some good times to call you and your phone number.
Thanks and have a Great Day!

TroutHunter

Quote from: HaroldSiefke on January 23, 2015, 08:23:25 PM
Where at in northwest Montana are you I use to live in Troy and Libby .... Troy being the most new that you can get. Looking at moving back that way if the property is right.. 8) I know there in Troy Chapel cedar does a lot of milling. I miss the area..good place to have a mill. Hal

Harold, I'm in Kalispell.  I've been to Troy and Libby, did u saw with your mill there?  Do you have any idea of the mobile sawmill market in those areas or northwest Montana?  Nice to see others from Montana on here.

FarmingSawyer

Had a potential customer phone this AM while I was running the mill. I stepped away for a moment to hear him and then realized I'd have to shut the mill off for this call.....
"Do you do mobile milling?" Arryup..... "what would it cost of you to saw out the framing for my house?"....Um.... what sort of materials do you need? "I was hoping you'd tell me?..."

I've had a few of these calls....the customer has trees on his land and he wants to build a house.... putting the 2 things together is out of the realm for most people. We talked of the size of his project and what he wanted to frame it with....and I took some notes and told him I'd call back later......With a rough...a Really, Really rough estimate of what it might cost for me to saw HIS trees at my usual rate into lumber.

Based on his project and a bit of take-off experience from building a house or 50.... I was able to give him a very ball-park figure of how much framing lumber he'd need and what it might cost him....to build a 2 story box with 8 walls and 2 floors....I couldn't give him a roof estimate because I was lacking a lot of vital info...but overing on the wall framing numbers should offset the roof parts. Plus I figured a house without doors, windows, partitions, etc.... Oooops....just realized we didn't discuss interior framing......

Long and the short of it is, he likes my estimates and if he goes through with the project he'll pay me to cruise his woods to locate potential trees.... Sometimes you've got to help put the pieces of the puzzle together for folks...and point them to resources like the FF for guidance.

TroutHunter

So I'm back on here after a break for awhile.  I'm still interested in a sawmill and starting a mobile sawmill business.  I have done some of the research needed in this venture and what people on the forum have mentioned.  Still have more to do! Getting closer to pulling the trigger on a mill.  I want to try and do urban wood/ sustainable markets and do that aspect of custom cutting.  Since my last post I have gotten more time on my dads woodmizer lt40 and really want to give this a go!  My question to you guys is can this urban wood idea of sawing two days plus a month pay off a hydraulic mill?  I have a full time job already and milling would be a side business. 

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

TH,

Good to see you back on line. As to your question about whether this can pay off I have no way to know what the business in your area will support. Have you contacted the tree removal people in your area and see how busy they are staying?  If they're not taking down trees I don't see where anyone is generating logs. Your business model does not sound like people trying to cut trees for profit but more of a salvage operation. A few people might agree to take down a tree earlier than they otherwise would if they could re-coup some of their expenses in lumber.

Have you located any good used equipment or looking at a new mill? One good aspect is the mills do hold their value well if properly maintained so if you try it and doesn't pan out you should still be able to recoup most of your investment.

Also what about the weather? My daughter is getting married in Glacier Park next week and we are coming out and she says some of the roads there have already been closed for snow. Obviously there is a seasonal aspect to some of the cutting you are proposing. Since you proposed this question I have gotten my operation up and running and cut a little over 16,000 bf of lumber. It is picking up slowly as word of mouth gets the message out I am available. I expect next year to be much busier. I suspect in about another month most of my sawing will be done again till Spring.

Good luck. keep us posted.
Howard Green

Magicman

Welcome back.  There is nothing wrong with taking a break, just do not loose sight of the dream.   8)

Rickcnc

Quote from: TroutHunter on September 13, 2015, 12:31:37 PM
So I'm back on here after a break for awhile.  I'm still interested in a sawmill and starting a mobile sawmill business.  I have done some of the research needed in this venture and what people on the forum have mentioned.  Still have more to do! Getting closer to pulling the trigger on a mill.  I want to try and do urban wood/ sustainable markets and do that aspect of custom cutting.  Since my last post I have gotten more time on my dads woodmizer lt40 and really want to give this a go!  My question to you guys is can this urban wood idea of sawing two days plus a month pay off a hydraulic mill?  I have a full time job already and milling would be a side business.
How close are you to your Dad's woodmizer and how busy is it?  Why not rent it from him to get your business started?

TroutHunter

Quote from: Chuck White on September 13, 2015, 01:20:22 PM
Don't overlook buying a used mill!

I have been keeping an eye out for one, there hard to find at times and good ones sell quick!  If you see one close to Montana let me know thanks!

TroutHunter

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 13, 2015, 01:36:48 PM
TH,

Good to see you back on line. As to your question about whether this can pay off I have no way to know what the business in your area will support. Have you contacted the tree removal people in your area and see how busy they are staying?  If they're not taking down trees I don't see where anyone is generating logs. Your business model does not sound like people trying to cut trees for profit but more of a salvage operation. A few people might agree to take down a tree earlier than they otherwise would if they could re-coup some of their expenses in lumber.

Have you located any good used equipment or looking at a new mill? One good aspect is the mills do hold their value well if properly maintained so if you try it and doesn't pan out you should still be able to recoup most of your investment.

Also what about the weather? My daughter is getting married in Glacier Park next week and we are coming out and she says some of the roads there have already been closed for snow. Obviously there is a seasonal aspect to some of the cutting you are proposing. Since you proposed this question I have gotten my operation up and running and cut a little over 16,000 bf of lumber. It is picking up slowly as word of mouth gets the message out I am available. I expect next year to be much busier. I suspect in about another month most of my sawing will be done again till Spring.

Good luck. keep us posted.

Hey WV thanks for the advise/info!  I'm still working on wood markets and contacting tree services for logs, municipals, and others for potential logs.  I am leaning toward custom sawing, just have to get my name out there if this is a go.  I want to keep it simple and fun, and only work a few weekends or days a month.  I have a separate career so I don't need to rely on sawing for steady income.  As for snow, there's none here yet..maybe a trace high in the mountains, the elk are still hiding.  Haha!  Thanks again!

TroutHunter

Quote from: Rickcnc on September 13, 2015, 02:38:05 PM
Quote from: TroutHunter on September 13, 2015, 12:31:37 PM
How close are you to your Dad's woodmizer and how busy is it?  Why not rent it from him to get your business started?

Hey Rick! He is a state away so that's not really an option.  There has been talk of me borrowing it for a summer, but he uses it often guy won't give it up and I don't blame him.  Hoping he would buy a new one so I could buy his but no such luck. 

TroutHunter

Quote from: Magicman on September 13, 2015, 02:35:36 PM
Welcome back.  There is nothing wrong with taking a break, just do not loose sight of the dream.   8)

Thanks Mm!  Been doing research and keeping my eye on the prize.  Still in the planning stages when it comes large purchases like a mill.  Hoping I can find one in the next 6 mo to be ready for next summer.  Been exploring options for logs and custom sawing.  Are private one time customers mostly who u end up sawing for?  My area only has a few mills around and from the research I have done they don't advertise or are not mobile that often.  So I think mobile may be a niche for me. 

Magicman

QuoteAre private one time customers mostly who u end up sawing for?
Individuals yes, but many become repeat customers.  Also, you get referrals from satisfied customers.

WV Sawmiller

TH,

Please update your profile with more details. Where in Montana are you located anyway? We have been here a week and a half. Came out to Glacier National Park for a few days now in Yellowstone. If I lived near here I'd be tempted to try to sneak my sawmill into the park and saw some of these fallen or dead standing trees. I suspect the rangers would get real suspicious real quick though.

You've got some beautiful country out here. I talked to a local guy a little yesterday while waiting on Old Faithful to blow about him getting a sawmill and salvaging some fire killed trees on his place and surrounding area.

Good luck. Stay safe.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!