iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

black walnut prices

Started by ehp, January 23, 2015, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I got some to cut and would like to know what price its going for from sawlogs to veneer, I donot have any top of the line veneer but do have some fairly nice trees , had 2 different guys just take a look at a couple trees I had cut , nothing great in size and should make lower grade veneer, 1 said he would give me a buck a foot , the other said $3 per ft for the same logs so I'm starting to wonder what the stuff is really worth as I know the guy at $3 per ft is going to resell it . I got about 20 trees total to cut with the biggest being I think once on the ground at 5 feet on the stump , its looks nice on the outside but once its on the ground I will know forsure

treeslayer2003

some times the guy who is reselling pays the most..........i know it don't make sense but i seen it on bids a couple times.

CX3

We average 1.30-1.90 on whole jobs.  It always sounds good at 3 or 5 bucks a foot, but they aren't talking about the top logs.  If you can average over 1.50, Id say you did alright.  Now throw in some excellent veneer trees, and thats all you cut, you can average 3 a foot.  But there is no sense in just cutting the excellent trees and leaving the junkers to stand around.  IMO

You hear a lot about so and so averaged 3 a foot on his walnut.  Well ya he might have, but the logger didn't cut the fifty cent logs out of the top.  He bucked it at 12' in the woods and left the rest. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

ehp

I'm just looking to get paid what there worth, I will fall a couple more of them tomorrow with the hard maple , the hard maple has been paying very well and the veneer buyer even said that our average on the first go around was the highest he has paid up here , I got $7/ft on quite a few on them

RayMO

I have been averaging from $2.00 to $2.40  tree run with top logs down to 10" delivered to the mill.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

ehp

Cut the 1 big walnut today , got a 10 ft 6 inch butt log and a 9 ft 6 inch second log , Its about 48 inches at top of second log . Not veneer but its still pretty nice so will see what the log buyer says about it on Wed. Got 10 trees out for him to look at as well. I donot cut much walnut but this is by far my biggest walnut

dnash

Sounds like a nice one! Got any pics?
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

ehp

ya I do own my own forum and FB, tried putting pictures on here before but it never went threw , I guess I need to place them somewhere else before posting

Magicman

QuoteI guess I need to place them somewhere else before posting

This should do it, but if you need help, just give a shout: How to Post Photos

It is at the bottom of the home page.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hans1

I would also be interested in current prices or even price trends. Started on a patch today but won't get any bids for a week or so. A month ago I checked  a few friends jobs that had some to bid at the landing and they seemed to sell very high. Hope it continue.

ehp

I did alot better than I figured I would , makes you want to go cut just walnut  8)

ehp

One thing I have been doing this winter is not just sending my logs to the mill, I make the mills bid on them and that seem to be working alot better . It so far has been making me about 20 to 25% more this way and with the price I have been having to pay for standing timber it helps out alot

Loesshillslogging

Quote from: CX3 on January 24, 2015, 12:55:23 PM
We average 1.30-1.90 on whole jobs.  It always sounds good at 3 or 5 bucks a foot, but they aren't talking about the top logs.  If you can average over 1.50, Id say you did alright.  Now throw in some excellent veneer trees, and thats all you cut, you can average 3 a foot.  But there is no sense in just cutting the excellent trees and leaving the junkers to stand around.  IMO

You hear a lot about so and so averaged 3 a foot on his walnut.  Well ya he might have, but the logger didn't cut the fifty cent logs out of the top.  He bucked it at 12' in the woods and left the rest.

Ditto on this post, $1.80 been the average, saw .40 come off last week. US dollar at 8 year high and Long Shoreman strike isn't helping. January weather was pretty good in the Midwest, lots of logs hit the market. Slowing down now for sure. I really appreciate this post and interested in what other walnut loggers are hearing.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Will help if you add your general location to your bio (click your name and your profile will come up).

To me, the Midwest is central between the east and west coast like centered around the Mississippi river.
But for some, it is the Ohio section of the US.

Pull up a stump and pitch in on the many discussions going on at any one time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ehp

I averaged $4.50 a foot for the butt logs to the low of $1.40 for the short 6 foot junk small logs , the 1 tree had a 10 foot log and a 9 foot log that scaled 2171 feet , the rest were smaller but still I think paid very well. I know that 1 tree is by far the most money I ever got for 2 logs

Hans1

Thanks for the updates have most  of the walnut cut on this property about 24 trees total. Plan to have these bid on the landing and will post our progress.

ehp

The guy that bought my stuff said there are 29 different types of veneer , I honestly have no idea but that is what he said plus cause I cut the big logs 9 foot instead of 8 foot I gained another $1/ft on that price , they could now make some panel he had orders for . I have not cut much black walnut

dnash

Who did you end up selling the veneer and sawlogs to?
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

ehp

walnut went to a guy up north of us abit , I will send you his name , my sawlogs have been mostly going to Townsend as they have been bidding the most but the stuff I'm cutting has been running about 50% timbers so stuff up to 32 feet in length , I have been cutting lots of bigger white oak which they need real bad so they seem to be paying lots for it, only the higher grade maple is cut into sawlogs or veneer. My veneer is going way south into the States as of right now but that mill just put a different log buyer on as my guy here is now running the whole show in the States and I'm not saying the new guy is bad or nothing but I honestly donot trust him as far as I can throw him which will not be very far at the 350 pounds he weighs , may not be the best way to make money but if I donot trust the person I donot feel right dealing with them .

Hans1

Thought I would add to this with some current bids that we received this am. The buyer today only bids the veneer another mill that he works with will take up the lower grade and other species. The best log was 19" small end 12 foot plus trim and he put 9.00 a foot on it from there it was in the 4-6 range on the 22 that he bid. Really good guy at explaining why to buck where to meet his spec. Glad to see numbers like this. Will provide more info when I have it.

Loesshillslogging

Hans1,

Thanks for the update, helps a bunch just to "verify" the market prices. So many variables I understand, veneer prices holding up but the drop a few weeks ago in saw logs worked me up!

LHL

farmer9

I have some walnuts i want to sell. I want to cut them down and drag them out myself, as i recently saw the damage that a logger did to my brothers timber. The damage to young trees was sickening. Not only from just falling the trees, but the most damage was from dragging them out. Even tho the contract had wording regarding damage, the logger has the trees and has left. Only recourse is to sue..........yeah, right, we all know how that works..... Brother had hired a registered forester who said the only recourse is to sue, but that probably costs more than what you would get in return....No wonder loggers have a bad reputation.

Hans1

This was just the best of what we had will give more prices for the total when we get them. Not sure if the other bids will be broke down by species or lump sum. It definetly help the process to have them marked and bid by a few people. The other species are white,red and bur oak and silver maple

Loesshillslogging

Hans1,
Hold on to that buyer, I haven't seen anything bid that high ( $9 ) but I haven't had any really great logs this season to speak of...

Fifty cents less on everything is what I was told yesterday for the remainder of the walnut logging season. I think, strong US Dollar is killing exports, that includes our walnut logs leaving the U.S.

This season for me has been a lot different than last, I was seeing $6 on good logs and averaging $2.25 on most saw logs. I've seen higher and lower all depending on the market.

Just keep averaging into the market is the only thing that makes sense, hard to be right twice, buying standing timber is tricky to say the least but it always has been.

LHL

Farmer9,
As to your comment on the destruction loggers leave after the job, I don't agree, of course. I spent all day yesterday, at my cost, cleaning up after a small job. This time of year is very revealing and in 60 days you won't even know I was in there once it greens up. I harvested 24 trees out of 175 that we left standing, gave the standing trees room to grow. Cleaned up fence rows for the owner and cleared some cottonwood. All good stuff!

LHL

cellulose

For a newbie, what does that mean per tree on average/ballpark, at say $4-6/BF?

Thank You Sponsors!