iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Time for a Red Oak Slab

Started by jrouth, January 23, 2015, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrouth

My Father-in-law sawed me a couple of awesome Red Oak slabs last month. They're now stickered in an old tobacco barn.  My wife would thinks one of them would make an awesome bar in a house we're going to start this summer.  I agree with her.

So the question is - do we have a chance to get them dry by them?  Take them to a kiln?  Or just put something cheap up for now and wait a couple of years to get them ready.  I think they're 3" thick.

Any/all advice appreciated!

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/35908/redoakslab.jpg[/img]

WDH

Probably take a year and a half to air dry them below 20% moisture.  A slow process. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

You don't need under 20% if they eventually go into a kiln. If you get them to about 28% in a year, most kilns wouldn't be afraid to finish them off with some air dried 8/4.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Very few kilns can dry 12/4 oak without extensive air drying first.  Such air drying must be very slow as the risk of cracking and checking is much greater for 12/4 compared to 8/4.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

I have successfully dried 16/4 red oak to below 20% for mantle stock.  You put it on stickers under an open shed and forget about it for two or three years.  Even then, there is a little cracking. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

logboy

I just put the meter on some 12/4 and 16/4 white oak slabs. They read 15%. They were cut and stacked three years ago.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!