iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mick Dodge

Started by Chuck White, January 23, 2015, 07:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry f

Two shows on Alaska at the same time tonight, Alaskan Bush People and Building Alaska. One is a really good show, the other is a total fake train wreck, and I watched both of them for some reason.

Magicman

I find them much more entertaining that many of the alternatives. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

We watch Timber Kings, there is some good footage of log building and the characters are likeable although the drama is a bit much at times. Building Alaska is a joke, those guys wouldn't last a week in a real life situation with some of the stunts they pull. I think the Alaska theme has been over done although we sure enjoy the scenery.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Den Socling

I can't think of his name but when the guy on "Life Below Zero" bought his WoodMizer, I wondered where he got his money. Where do any of those hardy souls get their money?

Chuck White

Quote from: Den Socling on February 09, 2015, 12:49:08 PM
I can't think of his name but when the guy on "Life Below Zero" bought his WoodMizer, I wondered where he got his money. Where do any of those hardy souls get their money?

The guy is Andy Bassich and his wife is Kate.

I wouldn't think they could catch enough salmon to pay for the mill, so maybe he hired out to float things up and down the river.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Think "Gov't subsidy" via rural grants. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: Corley5 on January 25, 2015, 04:37:20 PM
"Alaska, The Last Frontier" with the Kilchers is my favorite.  They seem genuine.

Mine too, and Otto reminds me a lot of @Chet . :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mad murdock

Quote from: Den Socling on February 09, 2015, 12:49:08 PM
If the show is filmed in Chicken and/or Eagle Alaska, those areas were gold producing areas. Many of the permanent residents in those far flung villages on the Yukon are sitting on patented claims. They have real money. Most of them.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Chuck White

I got an Alaska record book Caribou up in Chicken, AK, back in '88.

I never got up to Eagle!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

My BIL lives in Anchorage and travels all over the state. He tells me the State of Alaska has a program that guarantees every resident something like 10,000 bf of lumber. I think the resident just contacts the state rep and he takes them out to a location and marks the trees they can cut and use. It is pretty common I understand for them to bring in a portable mill, sometimes by truck, water or snowmobile, then cut their lumber on the spot.

Alaska also has subsistence hunting areas where people can hunt meat for their personal use. I think they have to saw off the horns, if any, so they cannot be used or sold as trophies or such. It is the only state I have heard of that allows proxy hunting and fishing where someone can hunt or fish for someone else. Evidently they do that so the older and disabled folks can still get their fish and meat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Den Socling

Did anybody see "Buying Alaska" last night? I just could not believe some of those log homes. Absolutely beautiful work. Then there was the couple who wanted something better. They had $2,000,000 budgeted and they spent it!

Chuck White

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 10, 2015, 09:24:19 AM
My BIL lives in Anchorage and travels all over the state. He tells me the State of Alaska has a program that guarantees every resident something like 10,000 bf of lumber. I think the resident just contacts the state rep and he takes them out to a location and marks the trees they can cut and use. It is pretty common I understand for them to bring in a portable mill, sometimes by truck, water or snowmobile, then cut their lumber on the spot.

Alaska also has subsistence hunting areas where people can hunt meat for their personal use. I think they have to saw off the horns, if any, so they cannot be used or sold as trophies or such. It is the only state I have heard of that allows proxy hunting and fishing where someone can hunt or fish for someone else. Evidently they do that so the older and disabled folks can still get their fish and meat.

Might only pertain to anyone who is "homesteading".

They also have a system where every resident of Alaska is entitled to an equal share off of the oil revenues!

When I was stationed up there, some years it was $1,000 each and I think one year the share was $4,000 each, even a newborn or a shut-in got an equal share.  All they had to do was to fill out the form each year!

Den Socling

kczbest

The Kilchers on Alaska,The Last Frontier has to be one of my favorite shows, but they aren't hurting for money by any means. Otto and Atz's Father was an Alaskan State Senator and Atz's Daughter is the singer Jewel.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

beenthere

I "watched" some of that Alaska the Last Frontier last night. Either they are not very skilled at most of their tasks, or they are paid to act like they have two left feet. But guess it passes as entertainment.

A pair of them (young man and woman) hunting deer, and shooting off-hand at deer spotted 400 yards off (they said). Finally wounded it, and hit it several more times before dispatching it when finally catching up to it.
Seems like every task they are asked to act like a klutz at it.. like wanting something to go wrong for the camera?  I don't know. Turn the sound down and watch the scenery, best for me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Up to this week I had never seen any of the shows you are talking about. Now that I had TWC run cable down the road to my house it looks like I have a lot of catching up to do. I can't believe the amount of commercials these shows have. I thought cable was commercial free.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Lambee10

Quote from: Corley5 on January 23, 2015, 08:06:07 PM
"Barnwood Builders" is pretty good :)

Yes= saw it and like it.  Course I like old barns and stuff like that...
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

Thank You Sponsors!