iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tightening forwarder tracks

Started by deastman, January 23, 2015, 06:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

What do some of you guys use to tighten up your tracks?  I've seen that there's a tool made specifically for that purpose but I don't have one. Will a regular chain tightener work?  My tracks are getting loose and the tires are starting to spin inside them. I suppose a big enough come-a-long might work too?
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Jamie_C

Chain tighteners will work in a pinch but it will be a lot easier and safer with a proper track tightener. With a proper tightener you will do the job in less than half the time.

deastman

Ok,  thanks for the info,  not sure where to get one but I'll start looking
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Jamie_C

Any forestry equipment dealer should have them in stock, all of them up this way normally do at least.

snowstorm

i made one . used a handy man jack. it works. i was hoping some one would buy the real thing so i could build one like it

deastman

Quote from: snowstorm on January 23, 2015, 04:43:14 PM
i made one . used a handy man jack. it works. i was hoping some one would buy the real thing so i could build one like it
When you copy the real thing make one for me too!

deastman

Quote from: deastman on January 23, 2015, 05:34:10 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on January 23, 2015, 04:43:14 PM
When you copy the real thing make one for me too!
Better yet you could come and demonstrate your version on my tracks,  I'm working not very far from Woodhaulers place!

1270d

http://www.eco-tracks.com/Tensioner_Tool?ptid=4750

We use one of these.  Works well.   You can get them banjo string tight if you so choose.   

At logging congress last year I saw a special link with a chain stub on it that can be used in conjunction with a screw binder to tighten tracks as well..   The links slip into the links between the cleats.   One on each end of a chain binder. One binder on each side of the track.

thecfarm

When I had the logger cut my land a few years back,they took the tracks off to move it here. I forgot why they had to take the tracks off,I'm on a dirt road here. They brought the tracks over on a small trailer,took them off with the forwarder loader,used a tape measure to get the width right and spent a few minutes laying them out correctly and used the loader to put them on. They had a track tightener and used a battery power impact wrench to tighten the tracks . I don't think it took an hour to do both sides.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

The proper tool is worth its weight in gold. Makes it easy to get the tracks as tight as you want.

deastman

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 23, 2015, 08:47:02 PM
The proper tool is worth its weight in gold. Makes it easy to get the tracks as tight as you want.
You are certainly right chevytaHOE5674, I bought the new tool and it made tightening the tracks up easy.  It was well worth the cost in what it saved in time and getting it done the right way 8)

snowstorm

Quote from: deastman on February 14, 2015, 10:25:26 AM
Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 23, 2015, 08:47:02 PM
You are certainly right chevytaHOE5674, I bought the new tool and it made tightening the tracks up easy.  It was well worth the cost in what it saved in time and getting it done the right way 8)
where did you get it? how much?

logging pete

Do not over tighten, they will bind up like a dozer in warm snow, you can break things housings etc.

Thank You Sponsors!